Author Topic: What is the happiest scene?  (Read 20768 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
What is the happiest scene?
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:44:33 am »
I needed an antidote to the thread about what scene most makes you cry. I hope this isn't too simple, and that there's more than one answer.

But for me, the happiest scene is the reunion scene, hands down. Despite Alma's pain. I have learned to ignore that because it is so overshadowed by Ennis' and Jack's happiness. No one was ever happier than they are in this scene, and what makes them happy makes me happy.

Ennis no doubt assumed he would never see Jack again, and yet he clearly hadn't forgotten him, is still pining after four years. Now Jack is here, and Ennis can hardly believe his luck.

Meanwhile Jack has always had more control over their separation; all it took to fix it was his decision to send a postcard. But he can't be sure how Ennis will respond. Of course, "YOU BET" may have been a clue. Still, he had good reason to believe Ennis would be pleased enough to see him but not interested in resurrecting the sexual part of their relationship. And yet here is Ennis, not only going along with it, but actually instigating! It must be unbelievable for Jack, too.

If only the movie would end here!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:56:10 am by latjoreme »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: What is the happiest scene?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:02:50 am »
Yep-the reunion scene. There are many happy scenes but the reunion scene is Ennis's best moment.

Heathen

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:19:50 am »
Happiest scene....hmmm...I hate picking one because there are so many precious ones...but...here goes

'Sending up a prayer of thanks' gets my vote because I think Ennis looks the happiest and most at peace here, until the Earl story, of course.

The reunion scene is absolutely priceless, but Alma's emotions interrrupt the joy there, for me.

Now that I'm re-reading this...we don't get many (any?) scenes that are happy without the spectre of pain looming, do we?...Aguirre invading the Brokeback Eden, as an example.

Just my thoughts.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:20:59 am »
Agreed Lynne!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
Now that I'm re-reading this...we don't get many (any?) scenes that are happy without the spectre of pain looming, do we?...Aguirre invading the Brokeback Eden, as an example.

Hmmm, this is what stops me from considering the flash-back, even though it's the happiest we ever see Jack, to me it's the sadest.

Reunion, definitely 'cause it doesn't have any pain looming, and the prayer of thanks I guess.

But then there's the horsing around after TS2, that looked pretty happy even if Aguirre was watching!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:10 am »
I love the horsing-around post test scene2 also, Chris...It just so obviouly viewed thru Aguirre's binoculars, I can't enjoy it.  I think we really needed one or two scenes of unadulterated happiness before they came down off Brokeback...
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:27 am »
I love the horsing-around post test scene2 also, Chris...It just so obviouly viewed thru Aguirre's binoculars, I can't enjoy it.  I think we really needed one or two scenes of unadulterated happiness before they came down off Brokeback...
-Lynne

As do I.....but I wonder 'how much' Aguirrie actually saw?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:38:39 am »
I may be confussing story and movie, but I'm under the impression that he saw all...something about he waited until Ennis had gone back up to the sheep before making his presence known.  Then was disrespectful/dismissive of Jackl in that he delivered his message to Jack and left w/o even dismounting...that's in the story, right?
-L
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 02:41:46 am »
I may be confussing story and movie, but I'm under the impression that he saw all...something about he waited until Ennis had gone back up to the sheep before making his presence known.  Then was disrespectful/dismissive of Jackl in that he delivered his message to Jack and left w/o even dismounting...that's in the story, right?
-L

ROFL....shockin confession #1....I never read the story....

Offline David

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:15:49 am »
Hmm,   I'll have to say the reunion scene too.     Just look at the smile on Ennis's face after he introduces Jack to Alma and the are talking about the kids.   But here even Jacks smile fades quickly.  He and Ennis are anxious to get out of there and I think Jack is uncomfortable being around Alma.   Notice how he waits by the truck the next morning.

Close runner up is the horsing around scene that aguirre saw.     The flasback scene is good too, but that is a different kind of "happy".   More of a contented happy.

oh, as far as how much Aguirre saw, he saw it all.    First of all, the book says so, secondly he mentions it (stemming the rose) the next year when Jack comes back.   And we also  see him looking at his watch to see just how long these boys are going to be screwing around instead of working.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:58 am »
Because all these you've mentioned are tinged with sadness, I'm gonna go earlier, and say the "Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a year" scene.  I love the little smile that creeps across Jack's face when he realizes Ennis is opening up to him, and I love Ennis' smile on realizing he's just done that, too.  Passionate love like theirs is painful even at its best.  But falling into that love is ecstasy.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:22 am »
I'm actually going to go with the "rodeo cowboys is all fuckups" scene, with Jack's goofy little bullriding imitation, and we get the biggest smile out of Ennis we see in the entire film. Just our two boys having fun together, no stress, no angst, nothing bittersweet to taint it--makes me smile just to watch it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:03:14 am »
I have to vote for the reunion scene because there's such a big buildup that it's a tremendous release when they clinch in that embrace. It's choreographed so perfectly! Also, because when they were on the mountain they were deliriously happy but didn't know how happy they were, and in the reunion it was like a bolt of lightning from the mountain that brought all the happiness back in a rush. No one hardly ever gets a second chance like that. Damn Ennis for not following through!

p.s. Chris, read the story! Do you need me to send it to you??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 01:04:09 pm »
Ang Lee is not fair to us and our boys. Every happy scene has the shadow of sadness or doom in it.

• The reunion: Alma watching and being shocked.
  • The happy tussle: Aguirre watching.
  • Even very early in the movie, in the campfire scene ("the most I've spoke in a year"): look at Jack's face. It's only half-smiling. The other half is kinda sad and tender-hearted, because he outright knows that it's the truth (not literally) what Ennis says.
  • The motel scene: Ennis saying "Me? I don't know" and that there's nothing they can do about it.
  • The prayer of thanks: followed by the story about Earl and Rich and "ain't no reigns on this one".
  • Let alone the flashback.

(Jeez! Are we all masochistic? Why do we love this movie so much?  ;) )

That said I have to vote for the reunion scene, too. I'm pretty good in ignoring Alma's harm in that scene  :)

TJ

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 01:15:22 pm »
When Aguirre observed the boys with his binocuars (at least once), he had done that for 10 minutes and waited until they got dressed before he went to tell Jack about his Uncle Harold having pneumonia.

In the movie, when Aguirre was watching them, the guys were very happy just being themselves as immature teenagers. In the movie, Aguirre certainly waited quite a while before he went to deliver the message from Jack's mother about his uncle. I think that, in a way, Aguirre had some respect for the guys private time together, although it was literally in the open.

From the way that the story goes, Forest Rangers up in the lookout towers belonging to the US Forest Service could have observed what was going on, too. The book does not mention that fact though. But, even when the guys were up on the mountain, at the campsite and with the sheep, they could see the lights of vehicles on the highway down below.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 02:26:13 pm »
p.s. Chris, read the story! Do you need me to send it to you??

If you wouldn't mind.....PM me...

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 05:03:17 pm »
My happiest scene is actually the second tent scene, that first time they kiss... there is so much desire and hesitation and I'm so happy Ennis gives in and lets himself feel that kind of intimacy with Jack.

That scene is followed closely by the "I'm tired of your dumb ass missin'" elk scene... the WOOWEE, YEAH! then the look of surprise and laugh on Jack's face after Ennis pushes him... I love it!  ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

TJ

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 09:37:36 pm »
I think the first happiest scene which Ennis ever had in his life was on the first evening after he and Jack had switched places.

I like what Annie Proulx wrote about why and how Ennis felt on the way back to spend the 2nd night with the sheep.

They had a high-time supper by the fire, a can of beans each, fried potatoes and a quart of whiskey on shares, sat with their backs against a log, boot soles and copper jeans rivets hot, swapping the bottle while the lavender sky emptied of color and the chill air drained down, drinking, smoking cigarettes, getting up every now and then to piss, firelight throwing a sparkle in the arched stream, tossing sticks on the fire to keep the talk going, talking horses and rodeo, roughstock events, wrecks and injuries sustained, the submarine Thresher lost two months earlier with all hands and how it must have been in the last doomed minutes, dogs each had owned and known, the draft, Jack's home ranch where his father and mother held on, Ennis's family place folded years ago after his folks died, the older brother in Signal and a married sister in Casper. Jack said his father had been a pretty well known bullrider years back but kept his secrets to himself, never gave Jack a word of advice, never came once to see Jack ride, though he had put him on the woolies when he was a little kid. Ennis said the kind of riding that interested him lasted longer than eight seconds and had some point to it. Money's a good point, said Jack, and Ennis had to agree. They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

I get happily teared up whenever I read that last sentence.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 02:11:20 am »
I think we really needed one or two scenes of unadulterated happiness before they came down off Brokeback...
-Lynne

There were a few scenes that ended happily - the elk-shooting scene (ended happily for everyone except the elk); the "rodeo cowboys are fuckups" scene; the "tent don't look right" scene; the "I ain't yet had the opportunity" scene.

But yeah, the happiest scenes in the movie have such sharp pain skewered through them: the motel scene when Ennis's face changes, "I reckon there's nothing we can do", the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene, when Ennis sits up, shakes his head, and puts on his hat, "two guys livin' together - no way;" And Alma's world cracking apart during the blissful union of the reunion scene.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 08:25:43 am »
There were a few scenes that ended happily - the elk-shooting scene (ended happily for everyone except the elk); the "rodeo cowboys are fuckups" scene; the "tent don't look right" scene; the "I ain't yet had the opportunity" scene.

But yeah, the happiest scenes in the movie have such sharp pain skewered through them: the motel scene when Ennis's face changes, "I reckon there's nothing we can do", the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene, when Ennis sits up, shakes his head, and puts on his hat, "two guys livin' together - no way;" And Alma's world cracking apart during the blissful union of the reunion scene.

I notice all the happy-ending scenes take place on Brokeback, and all the pain-skewered scenes (good phrase, Elle), take place post-Broke.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 02:41:33 pm »

Elle, thanks for stating this examples. You're right and I was wrong, there are happy scenes without a melancholy undertone.

But yeah, the happiest scenes in the movie have such sharp pain skewered through them:
Indeed <sigh>

I notice all the happy-ending scenes take place on Brokeback, and all the pain-skewered scenes (good phrase, Elle), take place post-Broke.
Right, too. Another <sigh>. Guess that's why I once watched their Brokeback summer only and stopped the movie when they came down the mountain.
Maybe Annie should have written a very,very short story and stop at that point. Ang Lee could have made a filmlet out of it. No, only joking here  ;D .

The heartbreak ist part of the deal. For Ennis and Jack and for the Brokies, too. And without it we would not be here and discuss it endlessly.

Back on topic: Ennis and Alma tobogganing. Is this a happy scene? For Alma: sure. For Ennis: yes. As far as I remember, Ennis looks truly happy, doesn't he? Other than Jack with Lureen during their first dance.
For the audience?  For us the tobogganing scene is not  a pure happy one, because we know something, that Ennis is not really aware of at this point of his life.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 01:30:00 am »
Here's my little list for now (I think my reaction changes daily to lots of these scenes, so this is subject to modification down the road).

1) reunion kiss
2) 2nd tent scene
3) skinny dipping scene (I think this is often overlooked as an important moment)
4) happy tussle
5) the entire sequence while they're moving from the first camp to the second on Brokeback.  This is a relatively "simple" but beautifully happy part of the film... The puntuation of that happy bird call in the middle of that transition is the pure sound of happiness to me.  An amazing moment of transition for our boys... their friendship is completely established and they are absolutely content together plus they're about to become lovers (the loves of each other's lives).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 01:50:31 am »
Yes, I thought about including the whole setting up camp beginning, especially the moment when they are both working on the felled tree with ax and saw.  And the one and a half seconds when we look past the bridge to see Jack carrying the log and Ennis comes and touches him or it (can't tell).  That's a happy one and a half seconds.  Sigh....

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 08:28:20 am »
Yes, I thought about including the whole setting up camp beginning, especially the moment when they are both working on the felled tree with ax and saw.  And the one and a half seconds when we look past the bridge to see Jack carrying the log and Ennis comes and touches him or it (can't tell).  That's a happy one and a half seconds.  Sigh....

You know, if we added up all the purely happy moments, I bet we could come up with at least two or three minutes worth out of the 134! Then we could make a video of just those and play it over and over.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 01:02:46 pm »
I agree with Penthesilea. So many of the happiest moments are offset by something rather sad. THe reunion scene is wonderful. Did Lee have to show Alma catchin him in that wonderful embrace.   :(

THe horseplay after TS#2 would seem when they are most happiest, I suppose. THere is optimism. Even though there is the prospect of marriage in the background, that hasn't happened yet.  They have their full lives ahead. But then ...

I enjoyed the male bonding scenes, "friend, that's the most you've spoken..." They are priceless as they get to know each other. The lowering of barriers and Ennis opening up so to speak was so refreshing to see.   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:50 pm »
We haven't resolved this yet!!

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:52 pm »
One of their campside conversations in the first third of the movie, i.e. the "Hell, that's the most I've spoke..."
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 08:12:34 am »
I think the scene after they separated the sheep from the chilean sheep, is a really, really happy one. Nothing mars this scene, everything just seems right. Ennis taking a jibe at Jack's harmonica playing 'you'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down'!

They really seem very happy and content in that scene. And then that Ennis smile!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:07 am »
I think the scene after they separated the sheep from the chilean sheep, is a really, really happy one. Nothing mars this scene, everything just seems right. Ennis taking a jibe at Jack's harmonica playing 'you'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down'!

They really seem very happy and content in that scene. And then that Ennis smile!

Oh definitely, I think this scene shows that Ennis could have stayed on that mountain with Jack for the rest of his life and be happy forever!

I also have to give my vote for SNIT, because here they are so completely TOGETHER with nothing else to mar their happiness! *sigh*

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:01 pm »
Hopefully some people are still reading this thread  :) I seem to just be discovering how much is really here at Bettermost. The quiz is helping me to uncover many things. Anyway, for me the happiest scene would have to be the reunion. When Ennis finally sees Jack drive up is probably the happiest I see Ennis during the entire movie. I could feel the desperation he was feeling thinking that Jack might not show up. And of course we all know what did happen when Jack drove up  ;) That entire scene is still my favorite. I actually wasn't too worried about what Alma thought  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 09:15:30 pm »
The scene that left me feeling happiest for them was the transition scene after they had separated Aguirre's sheep from the Chilean sheep, they are riding off together, Jack is making "noises" on his harmonica and Ennis says to him, "you better stop that or you'll run off the sheep again" (or appx that)
They were genuinely bonding, enjoying each others company, and earning their pay doing a really difficult job.

Offline heath4oscar

• Don't Say Much
  • Here and there
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 09:25:52 am »
For me, the happiest scene is the last one.  This may seem odd but it is the only glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak landscape.

It is obvious that Ennis's daughter loves him.  I hang onto that as the only positive thing about this story.  One day, she will take care of him. 
"I don't get you Ennis del Mar!"

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 06:26:46 am »
For me, the happiest scene is the last one.  This may seem odd but it is the only glimmer of hope in an otherwise bleak landscape.

It is obvious that Ennis's daughter loves him.  I hang onto that as the only positive thing about this story.  One day, she will take care of him. 

Hi and welcome heath4oscar! I agree with you about the glimmer of hope being Ennis's daughter! She does love him dearly, doesn't she?

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2007, 09:58:46 pm »
For me, I think the happiest scene is the reunion scene.   For that 5 minutes or so, all is right with the world - it's just the two of them together - there's no one else in the world, if you know what I mean.  The dozy embrace scene is a close second for the same reason - time stands still for those wonderful tender moments and it's just the two of them, and no one else. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 11:37:27 pm »
I'm reviving this lovely, old thread tonight because I feel like our community needs a little joy, comfort and happiness these tough days.

As I always say, the scene I think is happiest changes from viewing to viewing.

Following my little private screening of BBM on Friday... I'm struck by two moments of pure happiness.

One is very abstract (and I think has been mentioned before)...
It's when the boys are moving from their first to their second camp.  It's right after they've really bonded following the fun conversation between Jack and Ennis where Ennis laughs and smiles broadly for the first time.  There's just such a wonderful sense of contentment and very simple happiness in that little transition between camps.  Of course, it's before they're lovers... but the idea that they are really enjoying each others' friendship is already established.  The music and the one, beautiful high-pitched bird call just convey pure, platonic joy.

The second thing that really struck me was the pure joy in the "happy tussle" scene that immediately follows TS2.  This is such an abstract scene because of it's silence... but the playful, and now erotic interactions between Ennis and Jack also convey a very simple and pure sense of joy.  Perhaps because during this moment they're free of worry and enjoying the beginning stages of discovery in their romance.  (Of course this peaceful joy is marred immediately when we realize we as viewers are seeing the scene in the position of Aguirre... or through Aguirre's binoculars... it's actually sort of a shock to the viewer to realize that the silence of the scene is due to the fact that we're very specifically located at a far distance and are seeing the scene through the vantage point of a hostile character... still before this realization is made... the happy tussle is wonderful).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:52 am »
Thanks very much atz75!

It is great that you accent this thread, unknown to me and which accents joys (which we all need now and forever do)!!

About your comment: why do you called them abstracts?? May I ask.

Keep care,

hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 12:48:55 am »

I think I'm calling the "move from camp 1 to camp 2" and the "happy tussle" abstractions only because we witness both from such a great distance and both are free of dialogue/ silent.  Though, granted, there are many, many poignant silent moments in BBM. 

That said, the feeling of happiness I get from the "move from camp 1 to camp 2" scene is particularly abstract.  For me it hinges on the quality of light, the tone of the music and probably most specifically the sound of the bird call.  In a way, the happiness I perceive here is based on elements of the scene that don't hinge primarily on the activities of Ennis or Jack... but I project my happiness that I find in these things (music, light, bird) onto Ennis and Jack.  This is what I mean by abstract here... although the word might not be exactly accurate.  It's most definitely subjective and personal.

I'd say that the sensation of happiness in relation to the "happy tussle" is significantly less "abstract."  But, something about the complete silence and the distance we have on the boys makes it very surreal to me.   But definitely happy.

Again, these are just entirely my own, personal impressions.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 01:39:52 am »
*bump* for TT :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:46 am »
I dont know if I've ever posted on this one.....

The happiest scene for me was the reunion scene......

Having not read the book, and knowing nothing about the story when I first saw the movie, I was sitting there quite anxious at the thought of them meeting up again, and wondering if it was going to be awkward or even no emtion at all....so when Ennis grabbed Jack, I breathed a sigh of relief and thought, YES YES YES, this is better than I ever imagined it could be.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 07:33:17 am »
I think the happiest scene was the reunion scene, the smile on Ennis' face when he sees Jack's truck pull up, the hug, the kiss, it was just so great.

I also love the "rodeo fuck-ups" scene.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 10:27:40 am »
In my last posts here in 2008!!!  :o I was talking about really subtle moments of happiness and elements in the film beyond interactions between Jack and Ennis that indicate happiness (music, light, sounds in nature)... I think I would add the sound of the rushing water in the night camp scene following the reunion kiss (and just prior to Jack proposing the cow and calf operation).  I think that scene has the potential to be one of the happiest, but it's cut short and becomes among the saddest and most difficult. Really interesting emotional shifts there.

But, I also agree with Chuck that the reunion itself is probably the most exuberant and over-the-top joyful.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:57:30 pm by Brown Eyes »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 10:50:32 am »
If you define happy as contented, I would vote for the scene where all the sheep and dogs and the two men on their horses head up the mountain for the first time. It's so positive and happy.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 01:04:35 pm »
I haven't reread this whole thread, so please forgive me if I've already posted this anecdote.

I have a friend whose mother had some emotional/cognitive problems. The first time they watched Carrie together, her mother was delighted when Carrie and the hot popular guy go to prom together. Just when Carrie and the guy are called up onstage and Carrie is at her peak of happiness, my friend sprang across the room and turned off the TV, leaving her mother to think the movie ended on that happy note, rather than in the mayhem that followed.

Someday, maybe my kids will do the same for me in the middle of the "sweet life" scene.  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 06:37:27 pm »

Someday, maybe my kids will do the same for me in the middle of the "sweet life" scene.  :D

Is the sweet life scene where Ennis says he's "sending up a prayer of thanks" which is just before he tells Jack what happened to the two tough old birds? The only other "sweet life" I can think of is when Jack says, "We could have had a sweet life, but you didn't want it, Ennis" which is commonly called the lake scene. But that's near the end of the movie! I guess I'm cornfused.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:42 pm »

I think this is a fabulous idea K!  And, yes, Lee here we're talking about the "prayer of thanks" camping trip immediately following the reunion. 

I've always felt like if you turn the movie off before Jack suggests the cow and calf operation, it is a fairly happy movie (at least as far as the Jack-Ennis story line goes... I guess not for the wives).  I actually do this a lot.  It's one reason why I've probably seen the first half of the movie twice as many times as the second half.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:07 am »
And, yes, Lee here we're talking about the "prayer of thanks" camping trip immediately following the reunion. 

Right.

I've always felt like if you turn the movie off before Jack suggests the cow and calf operation, it is a fairly happy movie (at least as far as the Jack-Ennis story line goes... I guess not for the wives).  I actually do this a lot.  It's one reason why I've probably seen the first half of the movie twice as many times as the second half.

Good idea, A! For when you want to watch a/the movie, but you want to come out of it cheerful rather than sad. Which is often the case for me (I avoid movies that I know are going to be brutally depressing, but of course for the most part BBM is an exception).

Anyway, that is definitely the movie's turning point. I remember sitting in theaters thinking, "It should just end here. It should just end here." And also, somehow thinking each time that it would magically end differently.