Author Topic: What is the happiest scene?  (Read 20868 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What is the happiest scene?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 02:41:33 pm »
There were a few scenes that ended happily - the elk-shooting scene (ended happily for everyone except the elk); the "rodeo cowboys are fuckups" scene; the "tent don't look right" scene; the "I ain't yet had the opportunity" scene.

Elle, thanks for stating this examples. You're right and I was wrong, there are happy scenes without a melancholy undertone.

But yeah, the happiest scenes in the movie have such sharp pain skewered through them:
Indeed <sigh>

I notice all the happy-ending scenes take place on Brokeback, and all the pain-skewered scenes (good phrase, Elle), take place post-Broke.
Right, too. Another <sigh>. Guess that's why I once watched their Brokeback summer only and stopped the movie when they came down the mountain.
Maybe Annie should have written a very,very short story and stop at that point. Ang Lee could have made a filmlet out of it. No, only joking here  ;D .

The heartbreak ist part of the deal. For Ennis and Jack and for the Brokies, too. And without it we would not be here and discuss it endlessly.

Back on topic: Ennis and Alma tobogganing. Is this a happy scene? For Alma: sure. For Ennis: yes. As far as I remember, Ennis looks truly happy, doesn't he? Other than Jack with Lureen during their first dance.
For the audience?  For us the tobogganing scene is not  a pure happy one, because we know something, that Ennis is not really aware of at this point of his life.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 01:30:00 am »
Here's my little list for now (I think my reaction changes daily to lots of these scenes, so this is subject to modification down the road).

1) reunion kiss
2) 2nd tent scene
3) skinny dipping scene (I think this is often overlooked as an important moment)
4) happy tussle
5) the entire sequence while they're moving from the first camp to the second on Brokeback.  This is a relatively "simple" but beautifully happy part of the film... The puntuation of that happy bird call in the middle of that transition is the pure sound of happiness to me.  An amazing moment of transition for our boys... their friendship is completely established and they are absolutely content together plus they're about to become lovers (the loves of each other's lives).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 01:50:31 am »
Yes, I thought about including the whole setting up camp beginning, especially the moment when they are both working on the felled tree with ax and saw.  And the one and a half seconds when we look past the bridge to see Jack carrying the log and Ennis comes and touches him or it (can't tell).  That's a happy one and a half seconds.  Sigh....

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 08:28:20 am »
Yes, I thought about including the whole setting up camp beginning, especially the moment when they are both working on the felled tree with ax and saw.  And the one and a half seconds when we look past the bridge to see Jack carrying the log and Ennis comes and touches him or it (can't tell).  That's a happy one and a half seconds.  Sigh....

You know, if we added up all the purely happy moments, I bet we could come up with at least two or three minutes worth out of the 134! Then we could make a video of just those and play it over and over.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 01:02:46 pm »
I agree with Penthesilea. So many of the happiest moments are offset by something rather sad. THe reunion scene is wonderful. Did Lee have to show Alma catchin him in that wonderful embrace.   :(

THe horseplay after TS#2 would seem when they are most happiest, I suppose. THere is optimism. Even though there is the prospect of marriage in the background, that hasn't happened yet.  They have their full lives ahead. But then ...

I enjoyed the male bonding scenes, "friend, that's the most you've spoken..." They are priceless as they get to know each other. The lowering of barriers and Ennis opening up so to speak was so refreshing to see.   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:50 pm »
We haven't resolved this yet!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 10:58:52 pm »
One of their campside conversations in the first third of the movie, i.e. the "Hell, that's the most I've spoke..."
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 08:12:34 am »
I think the scene after they separated the sheep from the chilean sheep, is a really, really happy one. Nothing mars this scene, everything just seems right. Ennis taking a jibe at Jack's harmonica playing 'you'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down'!

They really seem very happy and content in that scene. And then that Ennis smile!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 11:20:07 am »
I think the scene after they separated the sheep from the chilean sheep, is a really, really happy one. Nothing mars this scene, everything just seems right. Ennis taking a jibe at Jack's harmonica playing 'you'll run them sheep off again if you don't quiet down'!

They really seem very happy and content in that scene. And then that Ennis smile!

Oh definitely, I think this scene shows that Ennis could have stayed on that mountain with Jack for the rest of his life and be happy forever!

I also have to give my vote for SNIT, because here they are so completely TOGETHER with nothing else to mar their happiness! *sigh*

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2007, 11:04:01 pm »
Hopefully some people are still reading this thread  :) I seem to just be discovering how much is really here at Bettermost. The quiz is helping me to uncover many things. Anyway, for me the happiest scene would have to be the reunion. When Ennis finally sees Jack drive up is probably the happiest I see Ennis during the entire movie. I could feel the desperation he was feeling thinking that Jack might not show up. And of course we all know what did happen when Jack drove up  ;) That entire scene is still my favorite. I actually wasn't too worried about what Alma thought  ;D