Author Topic: Help Jack and Ennis with their Wardrobe and camping supplies  (Read 12927 times)

TJ

I subscribe to International Male and Undergear by email and snail mail. I became familiar with International Male when I went to the IM store in West Hollywood when I lived in North Hollywood and I did buy a few things there.

Because of the popularity of Brokeback Mountain, IM has sort of cashed in on creating some western style clothing which Jack and Ennis might have worn. So far, the only actual connection is that IM sells a Del Mar belt and a short-sleeved western shirt with trailer appliques on it.

Here are the link to the IM and Undergear catalogs online.

http://www.internationalmale.com/default.asp

http://www.undergear.com/default.asp

I also get other catalogs in the mail which are sort of complete outfitters. Cabelas sells almost everything a rugged outdoorsman might need. It even offers lodge/cabin home furnishings as well as clothing and camping gear.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/home/home.jsp

TJ

Re: Help Jack and Ennis with their Wardrobe and camping supplies
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:05:38 am »
Two IM items which were mentioned in the OP:

Western Trailer Shirt - Frontier-bound with classic Western style and cool “on the road” emblems at the shoulders. Flap pockets, snap front closure. Woven cotton plaid. Machine wash. Imported.

Del Mar Belt - Oval metal buckle with turquoise accent and silver beads around the edge. Soft, distressed leather. Imported. The belt is being worn by the model.

TJ

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:54:32 am »
Wouldn't this outfit make it easier for Jack to be the camp cook? He could use it almost anywhere.

Product Description Wish you could take the complete organization and cleanliness of your kitchen at home with you on your next camping, fishing or hunting trip? Well, now you can. With our new Camper's Kitchen, camp cooking takes on a whole new meaning, letting you create meals with virtually all the workspace and conveniences found in your own kitchen. And best of all, since it folds down and packs into its included 42" x 26" x 14" Cordura® nylon carry bag, it's compact enough to stow virtually anywhere - the campsite, lakeshore or hunting shack. Lightweight yet strong tubular aluminum frame offers quick, easy setup and takedown without sacrificing strength. Three oversized table tops create plenty of stable, level space for preparing meals, cleaning fish or game and organizing dinnerware. The center table top effortlessly removes to expose a PVC sink with drain so washing pots, pans and utensils after the meal is quick and easy. Weather-resistant, removable hanging pantries with zippered front openings under the left- and right-side table tops are ideal for storing everything from paper plates and plastic silverware to canned goods or dry ingredients. Plus, each has sturdy carry handles for easy stowing. Dual overhead lantern hangers ensure plenty of light for early morning or late-evening preparations. And a folding spice shelf complete with S-hooks not only keeps seasonings close at hand, but coffee cups, mixing spoons, spatulas and tongs as well.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:32:56 am »
No cowboy, or mountain cruiser should plan a trip without a cool hat.
or warm hat in the case of Jack.  I couldn't find a quilted hat that would make Jack feel as warm as Mexico.

Here are some hats, economical enough for Ennis and stylish too.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/CTGY/western_hats

Jack might appreciate this fur XXXX Cowboy hat

He could always wear a cotton bandana under it during cold times.
Visit
http://www.hatcountry.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/21

Once we have the right hat, underwear and cooking equipment, then we can get some jeans, boots, etc.  There must be some nice long socks like Ennis wore, in a catalog somewhere.

don't forget the booze - any recommendations ?
 mmm ...   now for a nice ice storm coat ..  mmm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:35:25 am by Toast »

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 03:23:36 pm »
From Cabela's online catalog -- some warm underwear the guys could have worn.

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:30:06 pm »
Oh, I recommend the longjohns (union suit) in the pic below. I bought one just like it from Cabela's.

TJ

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 03:31:41 pm »
You are a great help, Toast. Thanks!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 11:02:44 pm »
Really love that hat (or is it the model?) Toast

And only $59 american

Was tempted!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

TJ

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 02:33:54 am »
I have these suspenders and I do recommend them, Jack and Ennis! I bought the PBR Jeans at the same time!

NOCONA LEATHER SUSPENDERS - NATURAL 

Basketweave suspenders from Nocona. Durable leather construction suitable for work or play. Adjusts at buckles and in the back. Swivel clasps lock onto belt loops. Price:  $34.00 

http://www.drysdales.com

PBR® Slim Fit Jean

• Style #28PBR
• Fit Five Pocket Jean.
• PBR Woven Waistband Label.
• 100% Cotton Heavyweight Denim 3x1 Twill Denim.
• Available in waist sizes 27-42, Inseams from 30 to 38

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 04:47:01 am »
Two IM items which were mentioned in the OP:

Western Trailer Shirt - Frontier-bound with classic Western style and cool “on the road” emblems at the shoulders. Flap pockets, snap front closure. Woven cotton plaid. Machine wash. Imported.

Del Mar Belt - Oval metal buckle with turquoise accent and silver beads around the edge. Soft, distressed leather. Imported. The belt is being worn by the model.

Yowee!  If that man walked into my trailer, do you know how long the clothes would last?!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 10:56:25 am »
Come on now, that trailor shirt is awful, who would ever wear such a thing? Combine it with the gaudy touquoise belt buckle and you have a walking disaster.

Carson Cressley, where are you when we need you?

The only place you could get away with that ensemble is at a BBM theme party at some West Village gay watering hole.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:06:40 am by CoyotePiper »

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 11:03:30 am »
Oh, I recommend the longjohns (union suit) in the pic below. I bought one just like it from Cabela's.

I've always wanted a pair of longjohns (union suit), such as pictured here (though I always saw mine being white in color). Maybe that will be my Christmas gift to myself.

Scott

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:11:02 am »
I've always wanted a pair of longjohns (union suit), such as pictured here (though I always saw mine being white in color). Maybe that will be my Christmas gift to myself.

Scott

This model has been around a long time no? I'd say this photo is at least 20 years old. I'd guess the model is pushing 60 in real life. He's been modeling clothes since early 80's.

moremojo

Re: Forever young
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »
This model has been around a long time no? I'd say this photo is at least 20 years old. I'd guess the model is pushing 60 in real life. He's been modeling clothes since early 80's.
I'm not familiar with him myself. Whatever his real age, he'll remain forever young (cue Joan Baez song) in such images as these.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:33:09 pm by moremojo »

TJ

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 05:26:27 pm »

The model in that pic in the union suit is in THE picture in the latest online edition of the Cabela's catalog! I actually went to the Cabela's website to get it!

I get the Cabela's catalogs in regular mail, too. I even have a Cabela's Club Visa Card; but, I used it mostly to buy stuff from Drysdale's Western Wear. Both Cabela's and Drysdales are sponsors of PBR rodeos and bull riders.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 11:47:52 pm »
Here's a pic of the front entryway of our favorite outdoor outfitter, Cabela's.  LL Bean better watch out. This pic is in Lehi, Utah near SLC and not too far from Ennis's boyhood home in Sage, WY. (Did Brigham Young pick a nice home or what?)

TJ

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2006, 02:55:47 am »
Here's a pic of the front entryway of our favorite outdoor outfitter, Cabela's.  LL Bean better watch out. This pic is in Lehi, Utah near SLC and not too far from Ennis's boyhood home in Sage, WY. (Did Brigham Young pick a nice home or what?)

Great view! Thanks!

I used to get the LL Bean catalog; but, it was too yuppie for me.

A PBR Logo Hat

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2006, 06:34:14 pm »
I used to get the LL Bean catalog; but, it was too yuppie for me.

Perhaps...

I live sort of near LL Bean and have been in the main store in Freeport Maine several time. It is essentially the equivalent of Cabela's. Cabela's has a more extensive retail presence while Bean is more mail order oriented. Both of the main stores are destinations in their own right. You could easily make a getaway weekend out of a trip to Freeport, or Cabela's. Plus both retailors have a long history and a long tradition. Both in a way define what it is to be an American.

Both cater to the hard core outdoor enthusiast, although I believe Cabela's is more traditional oriented with hunting, fishing. Bean is too of course but also caters to the bicycle, mountaineering, snowsports crowd.

Cabela's has one of the neatest, not-to-be-missed,  in store aquariums where they stock the native fish you are likely to catch. (and which they are all too happy to sell you the equipment to do so.) ANd of course you can't beat Cabela's denim jeans.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2006, 07:50:35 pm »
Here's a pic of the front entryway of our favorite outdoor outfitter, Cabela's. 

Cabela has a Weed Eater powered margarita mixer for them tailgate parties...so I'm thinkng that I got a 120 Volt power take off in my truck and garbage disposal to chip the ice.
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

TJ

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 07:54:37 pm »
Cabela has a Weed Eater powered margarita mixer for them tailgate parties...so I'm thinkng that I got a 120 Volt power take off in my truck and garbage disposal to chip the ice.

That's a funny! Cowboy! Cabela's does have for real motorized stuff which one could find as regular kitchen and bar appliances.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Help Jack and Ennis with their Wardrobe
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 08:01:22 pm »
Tractor Supply Company   www.mytscstore.com

Resistol black felt hats - $49
Resistol white straw hats - $21
Wrangler jeans - under $16   see below
Wrangler button-down long sleeeved shirts - $24
Wrangler snap-down long sleeeved shirts - $35

Wrangler jeans come in two styles (as indicated on the inside fly):
  13MWZ - kinda baggy, very comfortable, called "boot cut"
  936 or 936PWD - Slim-Fit, Boot-But...very sexy iffen ya got the legs and ass.

Cinch jeans - fairly baggy, also very sexy, but more expensive.

Belt buckle - depends, but can't compare to the three broken ribs, torn knee, broken wrist, concussion, and gored several times rodeo award buckles.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 09:04:13 pm by DecaturTxCowboy »
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 03:16:38 am »
Come on now, that trailor shirt is awful, who would ever wear such a thing? Combine it with the gaudy touquoise belt buckle and you have a walking disaster.

Carson Cressley, where are you when we need you?

The only place you could get away with that ensemble is at a BBM theme party at some West Village gay watering hole.

As I said, the clothes wouldn't be the issue!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:32:15 am by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

TJ

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 08:32:36 pm »
As I said, the clothes wouldn't be the issue!

Clothing would certainly not be an issue for Ennis Del Mar on his ranch work income. And, as I have posted before, almost ALL of the wardrobe for Ennis could have been purchased at a 2nd hand clothing store or thrift shop.

And until AFTER Lureen's (no name in the book) father died, Jack Twists clothing could have been purchased at the same kinds of stores at a cheap outlet clothing store. In the school year of 1969-70, I bought Ely brand western clothing in the Webb City, Missouri outlet store there. The clothing had minor flaws which most people would never have noticed in the first place. I think that I still have one of those Ely cowboy shirts, now that I think of it.

Annie Proulx's Jack Twist never worked for his father-in-law.

Offline CoyotePiper

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 09:49:27 pm »
Clothing would certainly not be an issue for Ennis Del Mar on his ranch work income. And, as I have posted before, almost ALL of the wardrobe for Ennis could have been purchased at a 2nd hand clothing store or thrift shop.

Not just COULD HAVE... all of their wardrobe WAS purchased at a second hand clothing store...

...The clothes on Jake and Heath’s backs were scooped up from a retro/vintage clothing store, Divine Decadence, in Calgary and Edmonton.

Here's the link

Look under the Calgary button section under the Design Your Own Brokeback Tour

TJ

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 12:12:21 am »
The shirts worn by Ennis and Jack up on Brokeback Mountain came from a Denver Western Clothing store!

http://www.rockmount.com/pressclippings.htm#famousbefore

http://www.rockmount.com/pressclippings.htm#MovieShirts
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:23:11 am by TJ »

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 02:16:38 am »