Author Topic: PAL DVD and SPECIAL EDITION  (Read 7223 times)

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: PAL DVD and SPECIAL EDITION
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:31:45 am »
Our town only has a population of 20,000, the kind of town, where everybody knows everybody, or is related somehow, and word gets around, so I am going to go all out to hunt this person down.I have even thought of putting an add in our small local paper, maybe saying...."Brokeback Mountain....if you loved the movie,lets meet at local coffee shop, date.."....would be interesting to see who or if anyone shows up.

Sounds like a great idea .. let us know if you try it!  Someone in your town might not even know that he or she is about to join our site.   ;)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • BBM - The Steven edition
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 06:21:45 am »
Good news about the Ultimate Edition! Wonder if it will be released in the US at the same time.

Don't get your hopes up. There was a lot of excitement on IMDB, too, about this 'ultimate' edition, but in fact it offers nothing more than what is on the DVDs available in the US and UK, except for a photogallery. DVD 2 contains less than 40 minutes of material. The set also includes a booklet with the short story, the soundtrack CD, and a collection of photographs.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000FGG7H4/402-1088958-2124166?v=glance&n=405322&v=glance

It is, by the way, sold out - there is a 2 disc collector's edition too, but that only has the 2 DVDs.

As far as I've heard, there will never be an extended director's cut because Ang Lee made exactly the film he wanted to make. But maybe some day we will get an edition that includes the discarded scenes as an extra?  :P
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:04:34 am »
What is everyone thinking about the PAL DVD?  I'm of two minds.  Clearly my legitimate copy is superior in quality, but I'm having trouble dealing with the 4% PAL-speedup that makes the music sound like it's in a different key.  I know I can't do anything about this and it happens on every film, but this is the first time that I've seen a film a dozen times at the cinema to really notice it.

But this brings me to the subtitles.  Now I know that many have mentioned issues with these, but I've only now had the chance to check them out.  I have to say that when they get it wrong it's more than a little irritating.  Sometimes they seem so wrong to me that they're a terrible joke.  One that stands out is when Jack and Ennis come down from the mountain the first time and Jack asks if Ennis is going to do this again next summer.  Ennis clearly says: "Well, maybe not.  Like I said, me and Alma's getting married in November", but the subtitles say: "Like I said, man, I was getting married in November".  Is it me or is this a really dumb mistake?  I can't believe that Ennis would ever say "man", but even if he would, "Alma" was very clear after all.

And then there's TS2.  This was really interesting.  The subtitles would have us believe that all the whispered words are from Jack and he repeats "I swear, I swear, I swear".  Does he actually say that or did the subtitles screw it up again?  I'm not sure.  But it made me think of it being a bookend and maybe even a reason for Ennis saying "Jack, I swear" at the end of the film.  What do you think?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05:18 am »
What is everyone thinking about the PAL DVD?  I'm of two minds.  Clearly my legitimate copy is superior in quality, but I'm having trouble dealing with the 4% PAL-speedup that makes the music sound like it's in a different key.  I know I can't do anything about this and it happens on every film, but this is the first time that I've seen a film a dozen times at the cinema to really notice it.

Four percent speedup!!?? Never heard of that, is that so!!?? Does that mean that American viewers get 4% more screen time for the tent scenes than us lamentable PAL-viewers? No fair!
If god had wanted people to be oppressed, he would have created bigger elephants. - Loesje

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2006, 05:29:57 pm »
In the tent scene 2 (ts2) is that where you are referring to Jack's whispering??
Jack is saying 'its all right, its all right, its all right
when ennis is first entering the tent and they are making first contact.  IF that is the scene you are referring to.

The producer that was at all the awards show stated repeatedly that there would be NO additional sex scenes or deleted scenes in the dvd, because what was on the movie, was what they wanted everyone to see, no more and no less.  I am surprised they actually added the photo gallery, but they have to do something to supposedly make it worth the extra money they want us to pay to buy it.  I bought enough pictures off ebay, I shouldn't need it, I probably have most of them already.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 05:32:59 pm by ranchgal »

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 04:33:03 am »
Four percent speedup!!?? Never heard of that, is that so!!?? Does that mean that American viewers get 4% more screen time for the tent scenes than us lamentable PAL-viewers? No fair!

I'm afraid so.  The convertion from the 24 frames-per-second film stock (or NTSC video) to 25 fps PAL results in a 4% speed increase because the alternative of repeating a frame or leaving it blank would result in a noticeable flicker or shudder.  This is why IMDB says the running time is 134 minutes and the PAL version goes for 129 minutes.  Same movie, slightly faster.  This happens on all films no matter where they are produced.  You don't normally notice it except that the movie is over 5 minutes sooner and the music pitch is higher (the bit I hate).  Actually all sound has a 4% higher pitch, but you can only really tell via the music.

In the tent scene 2 (ts2) is that where you are referring to Jack's whispering??
Jack is saying 'its all right, its all right, its all right when ennis is first entering the tent and they are making first contact.  IF that is the scene you are referring to.

Umm, what Jack is saying is something of a contentious issue, or at least this has generated some debate since the early days on IMDB.  Some thought Ennis was saying "sorry" while others think/thought it is Jack saying "s'alright".  I tend to agree with the latter, but since you don't really see any obvious lip movement, I would never be so bold to suggest that I know for sure.  Anyway, that wasn't my point.  The point was that the PAL subtitles suggest Jack is saying "I swear".  Is it right or wrong?  I don't know.  I just thought it was interesting.

The producer that was at all the awards show stated repeatedly that there would be NO additional sex scenes or deleted scenes in the dvd, because what was on the movie, was what they wanted everyone to see, no more and no less.  I am surprised they actually added the photo gallery, but they have to do something to supposedly make it worth the extra money they want us to pay to buy it.  I bought enough pictures off ebay, I shouldn't need it, I probably have most of them already.

Yep, for sure, the producers said it, and Ang has said it too.  What you see is what you get.  Little or nothing (of value) was left out or cut from what was filmed.  Most people would agree though, the contents of the DVD (the extras that is) fell terribly short of what we were wishing/hoping for.  My Ultimate addition would contain both the 4:3 and 16:9 versions as they were framed differently, and a commentary from the producers/director, one from the principle players the minimum being Heath & Jake but no more than Michelle and Anne (yes I'm fussy), and one from the writers including AP.

I'm not going to hold my breath on any of this, but I can dream however I like! :P

Offline stevenedel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 09:28:40 am »
I'm afraid so.  The convertion from the 24 frames-per-second film stock (or NTSC video) to 25 fps PAL results in a 4% speed increase because the alternative of repeating a frame or leaving it blank would result in a noticeable flicker or shudder.  This is why IMDB says the running time is 134 minutes and the PAL version goes for 129 minutes.  Same movie, slightly faster.  This happens on all films no matter where they are produced.  You don't normally notice it except that the movie is over 5 minutes sooner and the music pitch is higher (the bit I hate).  Actually all sound has a 4% higher pitch, but you can only really tell via the music.

:o So, in the NTSC version Ennis's voice is even lower! No wonder nobody can understand him... This interesting piece of information is really bothersome. Fortunately, I don't have absolute pitch.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 10:36:02 am »
So, in the NTSC version Ennis's voice is even lower! No wonder nobody can understand him... This interesting piece of information is really bothersome. Fortunately, I don't have absolute pitch.

He, he, I never thought of it that way. :)