Author Topic: "Did your foks run you off?"  (Read 10721 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: "Did your foks run you off?"
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 03:50:32 pm »
No apolgies due anyone!

O0

Heathen

TJ

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2006, 05:54:12 pm »
In regard to my comments about the movie and the screenplay writers, Larry McMurtry, especially, please read what is posted elsewhere in this link:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1382.0

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 02:43:24 am »
Tell you what, I've never suspected any particularly deep motive behind Jack's question, any particular probing to try find out if Ennis is gay. It's just always seemed to me to be a not unnatural response to Ennis's own peculiar statement:

(I'm adding the italics here)

Jack: You from ranch people?

Ennis: I was.

Jack: Your folks run you off?

Even knowing that Ennis's parents are dead, it's always struck me as peculiar for him to say that he was from ranch people. Even though his parents are dead, his background hasn't changed. He still is from a ranching background.

Well, we know Ennis wasn't a stickler for perfect grammar. I figured by "was," he meant until the ranch people in question died.

However, I interpreted Jack's line the same way you did -- asking if they ran Ennis off because Ennis puts the connection in past tense. But I always think there's room in this movie for a margin of possibility regarding almost any line, perhaps especially Jack's. He's a sly one.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2006, 10:09:00 am »
If I had NEVER read the book, I would say that the movie is a great movie with screenplay/script written by heterosexuals who don't know as much about homosexuals as they think they do. The added heterosexual stuff and the extra women came from Larry McMurtry and he admitted it in a Time Magazine interview.

But, Annie Proulx's approach to the story is from that of a woman who admits to be heterosexual and her writing is an attempt to understand what a homosexual man or men in Wyoming would feel and go through while in denial of his or their sexual orientation.

Excellent post TJ and thanks very much for the info on McMurtry in Time.   Annie is a wonder, isn't she?  A true artist and adventurous thinker.

Rayn

TJ

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:37 pm »
Excellent post TJ and thanks very much for the info on McMurtry in Time.   Annie is a wonder, isn't she?  A true artist and adventurous thinker.

Rayn

Speaking here as a somewhat unique Pentecostal mystic, according to what I have read and heard how some unknown force wanted her to write the story of Ennis Del Mar and his relationship with Jack Twist, I think that the Divine Creator Spirit in whom I believe chose her to write her original short story.

While I have not read more than a few pages of any of Annie Proulx's other published books, I feel that the way that she wote the narrative of Brokeback Mountain was spiritually created for that story alone. It seems to be unique for the short story. (Mind you, generically speaking, I really don't know that much about her other writing style or if she has written other things using the same literary techniques.)

I haven't read a novel in quite a while to to a vision and concentration problem. A local librarian suggest that I get books on tape or CD through a special local program; but, even then, I might have to take notes to remember what I had heard before.  Annie Proulx's short story when printed out in plain text on my printer does not even take 8 pages.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 05:14:14 pm »
In the movie, not referencing the story at all:

I find it interesting that Jack get's a little excited when he asks "You're folks run you off?", like his 'ears prick up a bit'.  And then when Ennis starts to tell the story of what happened to his parents, Jack has a 'disappointed' look on his face...

Just my own observations.....  ;D

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 06:52:44 pm »
Now-in the movie-I see the perking up as interest. Jack going like "whoa-you folks run you off???!) and when Ennis gives the answer Jack is empathetic, not disappointed-"shit, that's hard"

I can't wait for June 12th!!!

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 02:48:50 am »
It had never occurred to me before that ENNIS'S original statement, ("I was") was itself peculiar, but of course it was. Perhaps he thought, incorrectly, that his parents being dead made the "was' appropriate, or perhaps he was trying to include mor inofrmation in the sentence than the words would bear.  I think when he says, "Friend, that's more words than I've spoke in a year," he was p[robably telling the truth.  His use of language improves considerably after more exposure to Jack.  i.e.: "Fuck Aguirre? Whart if we have to work for him again, huh? We gotta stick this out, Jack."  The more at ease he becomes with Jack, the better he speaks.  The mroe at ease with someone you are,m the more you speak; the more you speak, the better you speak.

Huh?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters