Author Topic: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips  (Read 112181 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2018, 10:52:50 pm »
Here's another tip. . . massage lotion (preferably lavender-scented) into feet, then put on the fuzzy socks. Heavenly!

Although some people don't like foot massages at all. There's no help for them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2018, 11:37:40 pm »
Here's another tip. . . massage lotion (preferably lavender-scented) into feet, then put on the fuzzy socks. Heavenly!

Others don't like fuzzy socks.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 11:51:57 pm »
True, dat.

I was listening to a woman talking on NPR today about cooking for Thanksgiving, and she called the luscious amber liquid "maple see-rup". It grated on my ears, and nerves. There was something else she said that bothered me. I hope I'm not becoming intolerant. That's a sign of oldness and senility, IMO.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:12 pm »
Lavender is said to relieve stress aromatically. At the grocery store they're selling little foot-tall Christmas-tree-shaped lavender plants. I might get one!

I read some research that found the scent of lavender was a turn-on for men. Surprising.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
I read some research that found the scent of lavender was a turn-on for men. Surprising.

I once recommended lavender scented lotion to a Facebook friend for some reason, and she said she didn't like to wear lavender because it's "too masculine." Hunh? I don't really get that. But maybe lavender is a turn-on for gay men!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2018, 09:59:49 am »

I'm not big on extensive foot massages, but I don't mind rubbing lotion onto my own feet.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2018, 11:38:42 am »

I've never heard that before.  Interesting!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2018, 06:07:45 pm »
Today, my boyfriend R. was driving back from a medical appointment and told me later that he stopped at Whole Foods and bought three chocolate cupcakes. I reminded him that he could get a referral from his doctor to see a counselor to help him develop some coping skills to decrease his self-destructive behavior. He replied that he'd rather have the cupcakes. Secretly, I agreed with him but I would rather have a nice unagi bowl, which is my stress-busting go-to food. Once you develop a taste for sugar, though, it's probably harder to beat than opiods!

R. definitely has reason to stress out. He's executor of his mother's estate. She died suddenly almost two months ago. He also recently went in for a check-up and was told that there was an area of concern on the prostate and his "platelets" were down, indicating internal problems. I'm taking him in for a biopsy on Friday. There have been a lot of dramatic phone calls over the past week or two and I'm starting to question his German and Scottish ancestry. I am firmly in the stiff upper lip camp, which I suppose makes it easier for me to help him out.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2018, 07:10:35 pm »
Today, my boyfriend R. was driving back from a medical appointment and told me later that he stopped at Whole Foods and bought three chocolate cupcakes. I reminded him that he could get a referral from his doctor to see a counselor to help him develop some coping skills to decrease his self-destructive behavior. He replied that he'd rather have the cupcakes. Secretly, I agreed with him but I would rather have a nice unagi bowl, which is my stress-busting go-to food. Once you develop a taste for sugar, though, it's probably harder to beat than opiods!

I've never tried to quit opioids but quitting sugar isn't that hard. I followed a very low-carb diet for a while in 2013, which of course prohibited anything sweet, even most fruits (I ate berries, which are lower in carbs than other fruits). After a couple of weeks I didn't miss sugar at all. I could stand in front of a bakery counter and not be the least bit tempted. I've heard others say they had similar experiences.

Since then I've gone back to eating sugar occasionally (and starch much more often) but I don't have the same sweet tooth I once had. If someone hands me a piece of birthday cake I'm probably not going to turn it down. Late at night, if I know my son is harboring chocolate, I might steal a few Hershey's kisses. I did succumb to some pumpkin bread this fall. But i never even look at the dessert menu in restaurants.

Years on years ago, I had a serious sugar addiction, maybe worse than R's. I would go into a bakery and get one of pretty much everything. I would eat until I felt sick, then throw the rest out -- but keeping them in the bakery bag. Later I would fish the bag out of the garbage and eat some more of them (again, they hadn't actually touched garbage, but still). I wasn't like this all the time, but I would get spells of it every few months, each lasting a few days.

I haven't had that happen in several decades, though.

And I had to google unagi bowl but it sounds delicious!

There have been a lot of dramatic phone calls over the past week or two and I'm starting to question his German and Scottish ancestry.

Wow, that's a lot of faith in the power of ancestral countries of origin!  :laugh:

Maybe some ancient ancestor mated with an Irish person and a stray hot-tempered gene made its way down through the generations.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2018, 12:12:39 am »
He replied that he'd rather have the cupcakes. Secretly, I agreed with him but I would rather have a nice unagi bowl, which is my stress-busting go-to food. Once you develop a taste for sugar, though, it's probably harder to beat than opiods!

:laugh:

I can understand one cupcake, but three is a bit much.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!