Author Topic: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips  (Read 112168 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 04:21:05 pm »
Very wise advice.

Thanks for reposting, Lee.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 12:44:09 am »
It's something to think about, especially during the holidays. When I went to Nepal earlier this year, I experienced relief from stress for the first time in over 20 years. You may think that's a strange thing to say, especially since I was trekking about 10 miles a day, at high altitude with a lot of up and down climbing and staying in primitive conditions. But, there was no multitasking, no politics, no obsessing over what to watch on TV (no TVs), no dealing with noise and environmental pollution. There were no bills, no computers, no flashing lights, no telephones ringing, no deadlines, no drama queens, no crashing computers, no software to figure out.

These days, I spend a lot of time trying to relieve stress because I learned from my Nepal experience that stress is deadly. When I get home from work, I often spend time watering my plants which I find to be therapeutic. I cook my own food whenever I can, because that calms me. Before bed, I apply lots of soothing creams and I often light a candle. Books are stacked by my bed to amuse me and my cat often joins me there. My she-den refreshes and nourishes me immensely and arms me to venture out into the cold cruel world again!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 11:40:22 am »
Last night I discovered a new stress reduction technique: dancing! I was playing some background music while cooking my dinner and one particular tune was so intriguing that I dropped my cooking spoon, jumped into the living room, and started moving to the music! Three minutes later, I felt like a new woman!

The music was a little like Toto's "Out of Africa". Very melodic with a strong beat.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2018, 11:49:58 am »
Last night I discovered a new stress reduction technique: dancing! I was playing some background music while cooking my dinner and one particular tune was so intriguing that I dropped my cooking spoon, jumped into the living room, and started moving to the music! Three minutes later, I felt like a new woman!

Dance therapy! I like it. You could teach classes at the local Y or gym.

The music was a little like Toto's "Out of Africa". Very melodic with a strong beat.

What was it specifically? Or did you hear it on the radio and miss the announcer saying?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:53 pm »
The song was "Barbarian" by Dagda, from the album Celtic Trance. No wonder I liked it. . .it's in my DNA!

The song was on a compilation album called Music Sampler 2000 by Natural Wonders. Other good songs on that album are "Circle 3" by Sonic Tribe and "Celtic Grove" by Clair Marlo.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »
I had to go and search in my blog. (I rarely blog nowadays. I do wish blogging had not almost disappeared. I have no interest in Facebook and have never even looked at twitter. I like to write and read something more meaningful.)
Anyway back in  2008 I was writing about a youtube video I had seen of 2 guys coming out at school something, of course, completely impossible when I was a student in the early 1960's.  I finished
"Anyway after having a good cry, I went and put my CD of South Pacific on and was soon waltzing around the lounge room. (Perhaps it is just as well I live alone).

I get depressed but from observation of friends who suffer from depression, I know I do not. None of them would find a cure by playing a Broadway musical CD."
 ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
Great, brian. Blogs are not going away. Keep blogging!

My stress releiving actions are stepping up. I'm more aware of the stress I'm exposed to. Oftentimes, it's others' stress that's being passed on to me.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2018, 09:48:24 am »
Oftentimes, it's others' stress that's being passed on to me.

I have that one, too.

I was anxious about so many things that eventually the anxiety took on a life of its own. So now I feel anxious when I'm not even thinking of anything stressful.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 08:19:48 pm »
I think I need to find a way to get my coworker to deal with her stress.  I think she had a panic attack the other day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:09 pm »
Yes, I'm gathering tips to help my boyfriend R. ease his stress. I guess fuzzy socks won't work for him.

What about confronting the problem that's causing your stress? Has anyone had any luck doing that?

Another new thing I've discovered is that ironing is a good stress reducer, as long as you're not doing last-minute ironing.