Author Topic: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips  (Read 112152 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dealing with Stress and Stress-Relief Tips
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2019, 11:49:03 am »
Less beef is definitely good for the planet, both by reducing methane and lessening the need for cutting down rainforests for pasture land (if they're still doing that).

Didn't Reagan, or somebody, claim that cows cause Global Warming? Or was it trees?  :laugh:

They only trust experts who confirm what they already believe.

Yes, people who tell them what they want to hear.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2019, 03:13:33 pm »
Actually, my cardiologist did NOT tell me to cut out beer, which I don't drink anyway. He told me to cut out beef.  :laugh:

I noticed that and assumed it was a typo. You've never mentioned drinking beer, so I think of you as more of a scotch guy. And maybe the occasional port?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:50 pm »
Back to stress relief! Yesterday I made a large pot of noodle soup with some fish that I had in the freezer. I augmented it with some vegetables and some garlic chives from my garden. I also put in a strip of kombu (dried kelp) which is traditionally used in Japanese cooking to make broth. Added lemon and some other seasonings. It was delicious yesterday and the leftovers were even more delicious as a cold noodle dish today!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2019, 10:36:15 am »
The stress is killing me and I fear, literally. For the first time in almost 30 years, I'm having temporary financial problems, brought on by the bad renter I had earlier this year, my volunteerism that I've taken too far, and vacations to Arizona in March and to Wyoming and Utah in July. I'd forgotten how maddening worrying about money can be. Also, the criticism I'm receiving for my permaculture work is getting to me. I tell myself not to pay any attention to them but I don't listen to my own good advice.

Finally, taking care of my properties is a full-time job and because money is tight, I can't hire anyone to help right now. I've compounded the problem by looking around my place with a judgmental eye. I tell myself that I have way too much stuff and it results in me not being able to fully relax and enjoy what was once my haven. So, to sum it up, my stress is mostly all self-inflicted. I have seen the enemy and it is me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2019, 11:18:15 am »
I forgot to add the most stressful thing and the only stressor originating externally. My computer has started up increasingly slowly after I shut it down for more than a few minutes. When I got back from a conference on Labor Day, it refused to start up at all. I had to take it in and get the motherboard replaced. Since it's a Mac, it was quite expensive. I had to make do using an ipad tablet and my smart phone for a couple of days. I realized that my computer is so much a part of my life that it's like an organ of my body. . . probably I would have to say it's like a lobe of my brain!!

Compounding the problem of a computer that wouldn't turn on was that the next most important piece of technology in my life, my car, developed a glitch in the ignition system, so I was saddled with a car that wouldn't turn off! This modern life!  :P A First World challenge, for sure!

How to combat this stress? I'm turning to my secret weapons of mass creation: my grandchildren, and my garden!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2019, 06:21:54 pm »
Compounding the problem of a computer that wouldn't turn on was that the next most important piece of technology in my life, my car, developed a glitch in the ignition system, so I was saddled with a car that wouldn't turn off! This modern life!  :P A First World challenge, for sure!

Good grief!  :o  How did you ever get the car engine to shut down?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2019, 07:56:01 pm »
How strange, a car that wouldn't turn off! 

Hope the repair wasn't too expensive!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2019, 10:24:34 am »
I haven't had it repaired yet. The problem's not a crisis. If the car won't turn all the way off and the key won't release, I just start it up again a few times until it does turn off, finally.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2019, 02:06:47 pm »
Unexpected stress relief today: I wanted to make a curried tuna salad for lunch, but found no curry powder in my pantry. Fortunately, I remembered that you can make your own curry powder and had all the ingredients to do so. Grinding up the spices in my mortar and pestle, I savored the aroma and instantly felt less stressed.

Here are the ingredients:
    1 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
    1 ½ tsp cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    ½ tsp chili powder
    ½ tsp ground ginger

I used whole coriander (from my garden!), cumin and pepper; the rest were ground. I also added some garlic.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2019, 08:51:51 am »
Sounds delicious! I didn't realize curry (as in the substance in the spice aisle, not the name for an Indian dish) wasn't just its own thing, like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.