Author Topic: Book club?  (Read 7165 times)

mvansand76

Book club?
« on: September 02, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »
In the Culture Tent there are a lot of interesting discussions going on about books. Maybe we should start a book club, like they have on Dave Cullen, but MUCH, MUCH cooler?  ;D ;)

We could choose a book to read and then discuss it?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Book club?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 04:15:08 pm »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 04:26:11 pm »
And how do you have an onliine bookgroup.  Do you have on-line msg or something.  I heard on National Public Radio that some book groups (that have physical meetings, NOT on-line) have a facilitator to keep ppl on track.  For some of these intense career ppl, they claim it's their one evenig of the month when they are not preoccupied with family or work, so they start getting way off topic and they forget that they are there to discuss the book.

The facilitator brings in a bunch of information on the book, offers questions that will generate alot of discussion and cross checks off topic discussions.   ;)   One group was paying the facilitator USD 150.00 monthly for this service.   :o

My best friend is in a bookgroup and I told her that the books they read sound like plot outlines they wished happened to them in real life.  She got upset.  I mentioned THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB (upcoming movie).  It put a smile on her face.   I offered to be a facilitator (for USD 150.00  ;D) and she said there not that intense.  Oh well, I live in the American South, so they are somewhat laid back.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 04:47:46 pm »
Lee - did this get off the ground?

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6932.20.html

I didn't find that there was that much interest, frankly. Possibly in the wintertime there might be more interest. Injest had a good discussion going about her Mary Renault books. All the threads are over in the Culture Tent.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 06:09:37 pm »
I would participate if/when I could.  I participated in the one at dc for a while and enjoyed it.

(I left dc for reasons unrelated to the book club; if anyone cares to know the particulars of how they ran theirs (at least how they ran it a year ago), I am happy to share, let me know.)

“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Rogue

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • "we will be known forever by the tracks we leave"
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:50:58 pm »
i think its a really cool idea but im not really sure how it would work if one was started on this forum i would definatly try to participate.
"Love is a special word, and i use it only when i mean it you say the word to much and it becomes cheap." - ray charles

Scott6373

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 04:07:33 pm »
I would participate.  I need to read more, but never am able to choose anything.  I'm sorta like...give me a target and I can aim for that.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:31:44 pm »
I don't mean to be totally negative but I find being asked what to read bothersome. Reading is very personal and I have certain areas of interest and basically like to read what I like to read. Also I'm not a fast of avid reader even though I always do have a book going. And I would not want to be on a reading time table.

I have found any book clubs never seem to take off.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
I don't mean to be totally negative but I find being asked what to read bothersome. Reading is very personal and I have certain areas of interest and basically like to read what I like to read. Also I'm not a fast of avid reader even though I always do have a book going. And I would not want to be on a reading time table.

I have found any book clubs never seem to take off.

Sounds like a book club isn't what you are looking for, Wishes!  :)

When the book club gets started, let me know and I'll banner it!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:23:57 pm »
I like the idea of a book club and would definitely participate. :)

My Mom has had a really unique experience with her book group.  She joined a book group when she was in her early 20s (before I was born) and is still in the same group today.  They're very organized about the group and they do meet once a month.  It rotates around to different people's houses and over the years members have come and gone.  But, an amazing number of the original women (it's all women) remain completely active.  The neat thing is that it's turned into a big extended family type of thing.  And, now the children and grandchildren of the book club members feel a bit like cousins, etc.  It's been a great experience for my Mom.  Sometimes I feel a little jealous.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie