Author Topic: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?  (Read 16568 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 06:38:15 pm »
This is all quite true, but for me personally it's beside the point. The point for me has always been that I feel that "moving-on Ennis" is not consistent with the character of Ennis as we know him, whether "Heath/Ennis" of the film, or the Ennis of Annie Proulx's story, who clearly has not found someone else many years after Jack's death.

Indeed, "some of those people" do "eventually" "find happiness with someone else," but others don't. That's just life.

Just my P.O.V. and not in any way intended to disparage Louise's story.
I have to agree with Jeff in that the "moving-on Ennis" is just not consistent with they way his character was developed in the book and in the movie. Ennis was lonely for Jack even when Jack was alive. The problem was that he could not accept what completely being with Jack would entail. It just seems very out of character for Ennis to even look for or find another man in his life. I could almost see it being more likely that he would end up in another unhappy relationship with a woman. Although I certainly would not want to see a sequel where that happened. One of the main themes in the movie for me was the idea of that "once in a lifetime love."  I think Jeff hit the nail on the hand when he says that some people do eventually find happiness with someone else, but others do not. I just do not think given the way Ennis is that he would find that happiness again. I think the same would have been true for Jack if he would have lived and Ennis would have died. I don't think he would have ever been able to "quit" Ennis. This is one of the reasons why Jack is so torn. I believe he tries to find a replacement for Ennis to get over the pain and realization that he can never have the kind of life he wants to have with Ennis. The problem as I see it is that there is no replacement for Ennis for Jack. There never would be regardless of how hard Jack would ever look. Just my two cents worth. This is one of the things that makes this movie so unforgettable and so wonderful. There is so many open questions and so many possible interpretations.

Jack

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 07:52:59 pm »
No. The story and the film both end just where they need to end.
I have to agree with JW here. 

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 08:14:53 pm »
So do I huntinbuddy  :)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:46 pm »
To me, Brokeback Mountain is the story of a misfit loner that makes all the wrong moves, screws up his life and winds up with almost nothing.  At the end he's lost the love of his life,  has little left and almost nothing to lose.

That's the backstory of many classic Western heroes.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 09:04:02 pm »
It does not need a sequel.  BBM stands alone.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 09:11:12 pm »
My initial response... or my response probably 6 months ago would have been that no there shouldn't be a sequel.  There is definitely a certain sanctity about the original movie the way it is.  It's a pretty near perfect film as far as I'm concerned.

But, a sequel or a "co-quel" as Elle said wouldn't necessarily detract from the beauty of the original at all.  In a way, the original will always stand alone as its own masterpiece.  And, if done well a sequel could be amazing.  And, of course I'd go and see a sequel if one were ever made.  I can imagine that to make a sequel would take some really interesting creativity.  And, a "co-quel" or a movie that fills in the gaps that we don't see in the movie (more details about J & E's relationship, etc.) would be awesome.  I know some fanfic stories have dealt with this angle of things with tons of interesting creativity.  I would prefer to see another film with Jack as well as Ennis rather than just Ennis alone,... so the co-quel concept is appealing.  Maybe it could be one of those scenarios where Jack isn't really dead but in some hospital somewhere waiting for Ennis to come find him, etc. ;)

So, at this point my answer is... I think it would be fun to see more of this story. :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 10:11:02 pm »
I would not be in favor of a sequal, but one day down the road if there was to be another version of Brokeback made, like different edition of King Kong, I would watch it, and whine about how it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

moremojo

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 10:15:20 pm »
To me, Brokeback Mountain is the story of a misfit loner that makes all the wrong moves, screws up his life and winds up with almost nothing.  At the end he's lost the love of his life,  has little left and almost nothing to lose.

That's the backstory of many classic Western heroes.
Very apt observations. Ennis makes me think of the "beautiful loser" of the Bob Seger song.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 10:25:24 pm »
Actually, reading these comments...I could (probably) cope with a sequel, prequel, co-quel or whatever. What I could NOT cope with would be a remake. And frankly, given the way Hollywood has been going in recent years, I think we should all be afraid....be very afraid...of a remake. It is not beyond the realm of possibility. Not in the next year or so, but the next 10 years? Could happen.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:41 pm »

Oh god no...no remake, pleaseee.  I really dont want a sequel a prequel or a inbetweenqual.
 I just want it left the way it is.  I am not saying it wont be done.  I am just saying in my opinion I have no interest in it.  As bad as I would like to be the person in Groundhog Day and keep doing it until it came out right...It wont be the same if we change anything.
           It would have to be an Ang Lee and a Heath and Jake, and even in my opinion Anne Hathaway to do the roles...to make it even remotely the same.  I just dont want it!!!!  a do over. 
 JMO.

Beautiful mind