Author Topic: the gun symbol thread on TOB by clancypants  (Read 2838 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
the gun symbol thread on TOB by clancypants
« on: May 10, 2006, 11:39:57 am »
Front-Ranger posted a link to this post on TOB a couple of weeks ago, but I decided to reprint it in full here because I just referred to it on another thread and got the impression not everybody has seen it. I think it's brilliant.

The rifle symbolizes Jack's and Ennis' fate and future    
  by - clancypants (Tue Apr 25 2006 15:06:23)    
Ignore this User | Report Abuse    Reply
UPDATED Thu Apr 27 2006 11:02:25
The 30-30 rifle (or a gun, or shooting) symbolizes Jack’s and Ennis’ fate and future.

A gun is mentioned twice without being seen -
1 – Aquirre tells the boys they’ll have a 30-30 on the mountain – he’s setting up their fate, being together.
2 – Jack mentions Lureen or her father may shoot Jack if they find out about him and the rancher’s wife (really Randall) – their fate is sealed, Jack’s death.

Twice we see the rifle get cocked –
1 – Just before they head up onto the mountain, Jack cocks the gun and puts it into its holster – this symbolizes a new life is about to begin for them, a friendship relationship.
2 – Just before Ennis rides off after the first tent scene, Ennis cocks the gun – this symbolizes a new life is about to begin for them, a sexual relationship.

Twice we see that the gun is fired – this symbolizes their future -
1 – Jack shoots at the coyote and misses – his vision of the future – living together - will not be realized.
2 – Ennis shoots the elk and hits – his vision of the future – not living together - will be realized.

Twice we know that the gun was fired, but we don't see it -
1 - Ennis tells Jack that Ennis killed the coyote - this symbolizes Ennis giving Jack one thing that Jack wanted - friendship.
2 - Ennis kills a coyote after he finds the slaughtered sheep - this symbolizes Ennis giving Jack another thing that Jack wanted - a sexual relationship.

Jack did not get his vision of the future; Ennis gets his vision of the future - but Ennis is willing to give Jack what Ennis is able to give Jack.

Twice a rifle is seen in its holster – the life they’ve been used to will change -
1 – Jack gets off his commute horse and carries the rifle, in its holster, over to the fire and sets it down by the two of them – they were “keeping house” with Ennis at home, Jack going off to work - this changes to Ennis going off to work and Jack staying home.
2 – Jack puts the holstered rifle in the backseat of his truck at the end of the final lake scene – this life of the past twenty years, of meeting 2-3 times per year – is going to change.

The rifle symbolizes their fate, the continuance of their relationship.

Twice there is a gun that is completely out of their control -
1 - The gun the man holds in the television episode Alma and Ennis watch. This is immediately after Ennis has returned from his time with Jack and he's sulking about Jack being gone instead of going with his family to the church social. This is a symbol that their relationship goes on even when they're not around each other; even when in another relationship.
2 - As Cassie Dances with Ennis, "The Devil's Right Hand," a gun. Again, relationship goes on in presence of another.
Note also that these two incidents may also symbolize the end of each Ennis+woman relationship in favor of the continued relationship with Jack.

Twice a rifle is in view, but is not cocked, holstered, or fired –
1 – Ennis carries the rifle up to Jack when he first meets with Jack after having ridden off the morning after the first tent scene – it’s a symbol that their lives (as friends) have had a change (they had sex), but their relationship will continue on in a new way.
2 – There is a small rifle hanging on the wall in Jack’s bedroom – it’s a symbol that their lives (as friends, and as so much more)have had a change (Jack died), but their relationship will continue on in a new way.

Ennis told Jack that "this is a one-shot thing we got goin’ on here." This is not a statement by Ennis that Ennis intends that the first tent scene will also be their last. Nor is it a statement by Ennis that their time on the mountain will be it for them. Rather, Ennis uses the one-shot (rifle) metaphor invoking the symbolism of their relationship continuing forever - because once it's been fired, there's no pulling it back in.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: the gun symbol thread on TOB by clancypants
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 01:13:59 pm »
More symbolism to ponder.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:07:47 pm »
Thank you Katherine for posting this. I hadn't seen it and I sure do like to read her posts on BBM; - they're one-of-a-kind.

This time I have some difficulty following her thoughts on the symbolism, though. I don't see why an unused rifle in plain view is a symbol of change, for instance. But all those "pairs" of similar rifle situations *are* striking nevertheless.

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 02:08:23 pm »
 ??? who or maybe how many people were responsible for all of this symbolism??  Ang may have thought of some or even all, but someone besides Ang must have put all of this on paper so none of it was missed once shooting began - I think (but could be wrong) that all these different symbolic ideas would be too much for just one person to keep track of.  If Ang did have all the ideas floating in his head during the whole shooting schedule, then my hat's off to him - what a mind!................................ :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:14:28 pm »
The production designer was prominently mentioned in the credits. I think her name is Judy Becker. Boy, would l love to lure her to this site and interview her like we did Pierre Tremblay. I'm thinking the story and script were marked up and distributed to the props, costume, and site design people to flesh out the details. What a great assignment that must have been!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:02:21 pm »
Ennis told Jack that "this is a one-shot thing we got goin’ on here." This is not a statement by Ennis that Ennis intends that the first tent scene will also be their last. Nor is it a statement by Ennis that their time on the mountain will be it for them. Rather, Ennis uses the one-shot (rifle) metaphor invoking the symbolism of their relationship continuing forever - because once it's been fired, there's no pulling it back in.

Wow!  What a truly interesting way to interpret that statement by Ennis.  It is a very, very romantic and lovely way to look at it.  I think the sound of his voice as he delivers the line... like so many other things in the film... leads to a great deal of ambiguity.  I think compeling arguments could be made for each of the interpretations of the line listed above.  From viewing to viewing this movie is very, very different depending on my mood at any given time.  I love the idea that Ennis is trying to say this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie