Author Topic: Your favorite, secret (not for long), comfort food!  (Read 38953 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: You favorite, secret (not for long), comfort food!
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 08:51:06 am »
What exactly is deep fried pizza? Is it an actual pizza fried (an Italian would find this extremely insulting!) or some kind of turnover stuffed with cheese and tomato sauce?

That would be what I call a calzone. And in my experience, they are usually baked, not fried. But I also don't fry pizza.

I have done the deep fried turkey thing, though.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 08:54:18 am »

I have done the deep fried turkey thing, though.

L

???
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 09:03:35 am »
another comfort food for me is a salami and cheese sandwich on a kaiser roll, made with mustard!
Leslie, I always knew you were good people!!!  ;D
That has been one of my favorites since I was a little boy!
About Biscuits and gravy, here in the south,we also have Red Eye gravy. You make it after frying Country ham in an iron skillet and add coffee to the drippings and pieces. It's really good. Some people add water but I think coffee is best. It's real popular in Virginia where i am from. Virginia is famous for our ham!
I alo forgot to mention grits! I love cheese grits mixed with sausage!! One of my favorite breakfasts is Scrambled eggs with cheese, cheese grits and white bread toast with lots of butter. It's best to make the eggs in the skillet after you have fried up the sausage!! Yummy!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 09:05:54 am »
Deep fried turkey became all the rage a few years ago.

Apparently, way down south (Louisiana) people have been deep frying turkeys for years. 3 minutes to the pound, so a 12 pound turkey is done in 36 minutes, as opposed to the hours it would take in the oven. Nice and moist, crispy skin. The downside is you can't put stuffing in.

We had a neighbor from Virginia and he was into deep frying turkeys so Tony and I decided to give it a try. We already had a gas cooker for lobster, so we just needed to buy a big pot and lots of oil. I have to say, it is quick and fast and the turkey is very tasty. All the bubbling oil is a little scary though. We have a thing that looks like a hanger to put the turkey in and out of the pot. And we set it up in the middle of the backyard, way away from anything combustible.

Shortly after we got our cooking apparatus, there were a bunch of articles in various newspapers and it seemed like EVERYBODY was deep frying turkeys. Of course, there were the idiots who tried to do in their garage, or too close to the house, or after too many beers, and ended up with a turkey conflagration. But we never had any problems.

This page has some pictures and other info:

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/fryturkey.html

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:12 am »
Leslie, I always knew you were good people!!!  ;D
That has been one of my favorites since I was a little boy!

Ha ha, this was a little bit of a joke for Chrissi.

When I was leaving Germany back in March, her husband was making me some sandwiches for my trip. I had picked out salami and cheese at the store. Jens was making me a salami sandwich, and a cheese sandwich. I said, "Oh no, put them together." They both looked horrified. And then when I asked if they had any mustard--I thought they would both faint dead away. Jens couldn't even hold the knife to spread the mustard. I had to do it. LOL

L

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 09:09:28 am »
Fried Turkey is awesome! It's so juicy and tender. You can also use a syringe and inject spices and marinade directly into the turkey. You have to use peanut oil or cottonseed oil as they have a low flash point and frying a turkey requires sustained high temps!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2007, 09:16:46 am »

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/fryturkey.html

Leslie

:o  :o

How can they say it's not greasy?? Really?

It sure take a lot of preparation. I think I'll just stick to frying 'fries', twice of course!  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2007, 09:23:56 am »
  :o  :o

How can they say it's not greasy?? Really?

It sure take a lot of preparation. I think I'll just stick to frying 'fries', twice of course!  :)

Tell ya what, Fabienne...you make the fries, I'll make the turkey!

L

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2007, 09:42:45 am »

Ha ha, this was a little bit of a joke for Chrissi.

When I was leaving Germany back in March, her husband was making me some sandwiches for my trip. I had picked out salami and cheese at the store. Jens was making me a salami sandwich, and a cheese sandwich. I said, "Oh no, put them together." They both looked horrified. And then when I asked if they had any mustard--I thought they would both faint dead away. Jens couldn't even hold the knife to spread the mustard. I had to do it. LOL

L

That story will stay with us for a long, long time  :laugh:

While I was in Colorado, Jens registered here on BM in order to be able to see the pics in the Social Events Forum. As moniker, he chose "sandwichmaker"  ;D

Oh, and guess who likes salami and cheese combined on one sandwich: Kerstin! But if I were to put mustard on it, I guess she'd faint right away  ;D  :laugh:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2007, 09:44:54 am »
That story will stay with us for a long, long time  :laugh:

While I was in Colorado, Jens registered here on BM in order to be able to see the pics in the Social Events Forum. As moniker, he chose "sandwichmaker"  ;D

Oh, and guess who likes salami and cheese combined on one sandwich: Kerstin! But if I were to put mustard on it, I guess she'd faint right away  ;D  :laugh:
Ya can't have a good salami sammitch without yellow mustard! LOL  ;D