Author Topic: Ang Lee and his Alberta Experience  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Ang Lee and his Alberta Experience
« on: September 06, 2007, 09:12:33 pm »
I've been reviewing my old floppy files of the incredible amount of material about Brokeback I saved from journals, newspapers and the internet in the months of 2005 immediately preceeding and following the official premiere of Brokeback and found this once again.
Between the early September premieres in Venice and Toronto AND the official North American Premiere in early December was a 'secret premiere' and special screening which Ang Lee arranged in November in Calgary for the entire Alberta crew he had come to consider as his Brokeback 'family'.  No other press, but our local Calgary newspapers covered this and I offer this article on it as part of the lesser known events surrounding the release of Brokeback.  It also pays tribute to the wonderful reminiscences which I've been reading by my fellow Brokies who travellled here and whom I met on their Alberta Pilgrimage.

November 17, 2005
'Brokeback Mountain' screened for Alberta crew
By LOUIS B. HOBSON - Calgary Sun

CALGARY - On Tuesday, filmmaker Ang Lee flew in from Taiwan to attend a special screening of Brokeback Mountain, the gay-themed western he filmed in Alberta last year.  He says it was a bit like attending a seance.  "It was like communicating with someone you thought was dead," says Lee. "A few months after I left Calgary last year I felt I had closure. I felt I had gone through a proper cleansing." Then he found himself in a theatre with local cast and crew members who'd made the film with him. "I had my Calgary family back with me. I tried to watch the movie, but I kept having flashbacks to the incredible experience we all shared. "The Brokeback Mountain that is up there on the screen would not have been possible without the talent and devotion of the Alberta crew and actors. "It's their movie as much as mine."
What continues to amaze and confound Lee is how audiences react to his film. "All the time I was directing it and editing it I never thought people would react with so much emotion. "I never thought people would cry. "I always hoped it would move people, but I never dreamed it would move them to tears." Brokeback Mountain opens in Calgary on Dec. 23. Lee won the Golden Lion Award at this year's Venice Film Festival for his direction. He hopes the film will receive Oscar nominations because "that would make people curious. It would potentially open it to a much wider audience."
 In the powerful drama, Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger play cowboys whose fondest memory in the secret relationship they share for 20 years is the summer they spent together herding sheep on Brokeback Mountain. "Heath and Jake's characters always dreamed of returning to Brokeback. That's what we were all doing Tuesday night. We were going back to the place that gave us all so many special memories." Lee says his wife insists the reason he gets nostalgic when he talks about Alberta is that he had too much fun making the movie. "It's true. We did have so much fun. I have wanted to make Brokeback Mountain for years. It was a passion for me as intense as the love between the cowboys in the film, but there were days I felt my Calgary people were more excited about what we were doing than I was." Lee says it is his dream to return to Alberta to make another film. "It wouldn't be a western. I'd like to do a movie about hockey," says Lee, who became an avid Flames fan during his sojourn in Calgary. "I keep toying with so many ideas. "I know I'll be back."
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ang Lee and his Alberta Experience
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 03:55:47 pm »
Thank you so much for posting this, Casey! You're right, there are many parallels to our Brokie pilgrimage. Ang Lee is always taking the words right out of my mouth!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:08:27 pm »
What continues to amaze and confound Lee is how audiences react to his film. "All the time I was directing it and editing it I never thought people would react with so much emotion. "I never thought people would cry. "I always hoped it would move people, but I never dreamed it would move them to tears."

Gee, was he wrong!

Thank you for posting this Casey  :).

Offline Casey Cornelius

• Jr. Ranch Hand
More on the Ang Lee Calgary special Brokeback screening
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:17:13 pm »
Found another article from the same week in a different paper.  It adds a few more details - the fact that Diana Ossana also accompanied Ang Lee - and some more heartfelt appreciations from the Alberta crew.

To further fly in the face of standard Hollywood fare, Lee arrived in Calgary Tuesday to host a special screening and party for local cast and crew members who worked on the film. It's a kind gesture that industry insiders say is rarely -- if ever -- extended. "I've never seen a filmmaker do this. There may be a screening of the movie, but the director doesn't come," says sound technician Geo Major, who has worked on several movies in Alberta including The Claim and Open Range, directed by Kevin Costner.
 There was hardly a dry eye in the house as Lee walked into the southwest Calgary Coliseum following the credits of a screening Tuesday night. He waved to the crowd, which rose with applause. He shook hands and hugged old friends he hadn't seen since the film's wrap party in the fall of 2004. "I just wanted to thank them and see them all again. I wanted to see them watch the movie they made. After all their work I think it's a nice thing to do," he says simply. "These people are the best. They're devoted and I knew I had to make the effort to do this for them." 
 Diana Ossana, who was also in attendance at the Coliseum. "Coming back here is a really emotional thing for me," said Ossana, greeting old friends and colleagues inside the theatre Tuesday night. "Working on this film was an incredible experience for me. You are like my family. For all your work and dedication, I'm so honoured to be able to come back and present this beautiful film to you."
 The film's effect on the audience was a sight to behold.  "I was almost speechless," said Tom Benz, a longtime Albertan and the film's production manager. "Being around people like Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger you don't really realize how difficult it is to do an acting job well. I really saw what those guys are made of. Being around them all day long I still needed to see the film to see how powerfully they could pull it off."
Beyond Oscar buzz-worthy performances, the film has an impressive visual impact. From tight, textured shots of a horse's hooves stepping carefully through the moss flooring of the Kananaskis forest to some of the most spectacular Alberta vistas ever caught on film, Brokeback Mountain showcases the province from beginning to end.Curtly hailed as a gay western, the film manages to dig deeper than the issue of homosexuality into the guts of a heartbreaking love that can never be truly realized.
"There are films that are made because there is an entertainment industry out there and then there are films that are made to make a difference -- this one will inevitably make a difference," says Benz.  "The thing is we're all growing. Your stereotypical redneck cowboy will likely walk out of this film thinking differently."
Although his film may prove to have an effect on audiences, Lee continues to break the mould by refusing to take his movies too seriously.  "I just want to make the movie," he says. "I didn't set out to intentionally change anything. In life I have statements, I have my issues, but I don't make statements in my movies. I want to make it as pure and truthful as possible. The rest is up to the audience."
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand ...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 12:29:38 pm »

"There are films that are made because there is an entertainment industry out there and then there are films that are made to make a difference -- this one will inevitably make a difference," says Benz.  "The thing is we're all growing. Your stereotypical redneck cowboy will likely walk out of this film thinking differently."

Who would have thought that three years later we'd still be happily talking and marvelling about this movie?

Although his film may prove to have an effect on audiences, Lee continues to break the mould by refusing to take his movies too seriously.  "I just want to make the movie," he says. "I didn't set out to intentionally change anything. In life I have statements, I have my issues, but I don't make statements in my movies. I want to make it as pure and truthful as possible. The rest is up to the audience."

Reading this statement by Ang Lee, just made me once again be enormously grateful that this movie was placed in the hands of a sensitive and intelligent film maker.

Casey, thank you for posting these articles. It's great to 'go back' to those early days. And having been to Alberta myself, i can completely understand Ang Lee falling in love with the place and the people.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:44 pm »
Thank you, Casey!  Love this:

"Beyond Oscar buzz-worthy performances, the film has an impressive visual impact. From tight, textured shots of a horse's hooves stepping carefully through the moss flooring of the Kananaskis forest to some of the most spectacular Alberta vistas ever caught on film, Brokeback Mountain showcases the province from beginning to end.  Curtly hailed as a gay western, the film manages to dig deeper than the issue of homosexuality into the guts of a heartbreaking love that can never be truly realized."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:44:39 am »
Casey, thanks so much for these articles.  Never enough Ang, never enough!  This statement is now true for me when I watch the movie post-Pilgrimage:

""I had my Calgary family back with me. I tried to watch the movie, but I kept having flashbacks to the incredible experience we all shared. "
Ich bin ein Brokie...