Author Topic: Memoirs ~ by el_wing  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Memoirs ~ by el_wing
« on: September 07, 2007, 11:55:29 pm »
Hey Buds,

In case people haven't come across this one yet, I thought I'd start this thread to highlight a great series by el_wing called Memoirs of a Rodeo F***-Up.  There are currently 8 installments and the writing is really strong.  It was also recently updated.

http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/

cheers!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Memoirs ~ by el_wing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 03:46:34 pm »
Hey, Amanda

I'm glad you started a thread for this story.  I'm admire el_wng's strong writing, too, and this is a great story.  It's a unique AU/AU and I like the first-person narrative - she has a real knack for it. 

The most recent chapter had some very nice surprises, that have me wondering.  Hmmm....where do they go from here? 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 05:09:25 pm »
I agree about the first person (Jack) point of view.  It does lend it a unique flare.  And, yes, the most recent update was definitely exciting.
:)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 06:10:20 pm »
Update!  Chapter 9:

http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/2443.html

SPOILERS

A very interesting turn of events here!  There's a lot of truth in the saying "be careful what you wish for!"  el wing is a really talented writer.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 12:21:12 am »

Update again!  Number 10 is up now!
http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/2778.html#cutid1

** Spoilers**

This is just such a great series, and I still feel like I'm on the edge of my seat about what's going to happen between Ennis and Jack.  This chapter involved some good progress for Jack in dealing with his failing marriage and the scenario of telling Lureen in this story was quite interesting.  It's nice that there was no big drama or scene aside from Lureen's unfortunate comments about a possible "cure."  But, all throughout this chapter up until the end, I just couldn't stop wondering and worrying about how things would be resolved with Ennis.  So, I'm still in cliff-hanger mode.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 02:03:26 pm »

Update again!  Number 10 is up now!
http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/2778.html#cutid1

** Spoilers**

This is just such a great series, and I still feel like I'm on the edge of my seat about what's going to happen between Ennis and Jack.  This chapter involved some good progress for Jack in dealing with his failing marriage and the scenario of telling Lureen in this story was quite interesting.  It's nice that there was no big drama or scene aside from Lureen's unfortunate comments about a possible "cure."  But, all throughout this chapter up until the end, I just couldn't stop wondering and worrying about how things would be resolved with Ennis.  So, I'm still in cliff-hanger mode.

Ditto on all of that, Amanda!  It's a sign of great writing that she achieves a high level of anticipation with a realistic level of angst.  She doesn't create artificial drama just for drama's sake, and I like that a lot.  I was glad to read that we'll be getting more of Jack's "memoirs" even after this part of his story is complete.

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:45:22 pm »
The final chapter is up!

http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/2930.html

For anyone who likes to read completed stories, I highly recommend this one!  It should be a fairly quick read - 11 parts in all.

el does say in her author's notes that she hopes to revisit this story, and have Jack give us some more of his memoirs from time to time, but she's not sure yet how far into the sequel she'll go.  There certainly is plenty of material here for a lot more!

SPOILER

A really beautiful and satisfying ending ....but, of course, I want more!

Marie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 11:37:32 pm »
The final chapter is up!

http://community.livejournal.com/rodeofuckup/2930.html

For anyone who likes to read completed stories, I highly recommend this one!  It should be a fairly quick read - 11 parts in all.

el does say in her author's notes that she hopes to revisit this story, and have Jack give us some more of his memoirs from time to time, but she's not sure yet how far into the sequel she'll go.  There certainly is plenty of material here for a lot more!

SPOILER

A really beautiful and satisfying ending ....but, of course, I want more!

Marie

Hi Marie!

I just finished reading it!  And, yes, I totally love this story.  Such smart twists and turns in this one and clever ways of dealing with situations and ideas fundamental to Brokeback Mountain. 

And, I also highly recommend it to folks looking for a finished story.

**Sort of Spoiler**

I'm very impressed with the way the tire-flat, exploding tire, two-strangers situation was handled in this story. Very, very clever.  It's also interesting to read a story where Jack is the more anxious one and Ennis is the more confident and even open one.