Author Topic: Randy Quaid Headed to Broadway!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Randy Quaid Headed to Broadway!
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:35:59 am »
Randy Quaid takes on rascal musical role

By Misha Berson
Seattle Times theater critic

Legend has it Queen Elizabeth I couldn't get enough of Falstaff. So her loyal servant, William Shakespeare, answered the monarch's call for a play about "Falstaff in love" and whipped up the comedy "The Merry Wives of Windsor."

Truth or fiction, the rotund rascal Sir John Falstaff has been an irrepressible stage figure since his debut as Prince Hal's wily mentor in "Henry IV, Part I."

Featured in three Shakespeare plays and the headliner of several operas, this rogue gets another go-round when Randy Quaid portrays him in the twangy Broadway-bound musical "Lone Star Love."

With a plot adapted from "Merry Wives of Windsor," the show opens a pre-Broadway stand at the 5th Avenue Theatre next week.

"Lone Star Love" transports Falstaff from a 16th-century London hamlet to a wild West Texas burg in 1865. It is the first Broadway musical for the Texas-bred Quaid, and his first Falstaff — here, a drawling con artist and would-be seducer of un-desperate housewives.

"I love Falstaff's arrogance," said Quaid, 56, who's recently been seen in the films "Brokeback Mountain" and "Goya's Ghosts."

"I also love his huge, outsized ego. He's a dynamo engine who comes into this little Texas town full of all these gullible people, and takes advantage of the situation."

Making Falstaff a rootin' tootin' letch out to fleece the yokels is a conceit that writer John L. Haber cooked up in the 1970s. He used it first for a non-musical Chapel Hill, N.C., staging of "Merry Wives of Windsor" starring the late Tommy Thompson, founder of the folksy Red Clay Ramblers band.

Then in 1988 Haber and the band created a new musical based on the same story at Houston's Alley Theatre.

"The Merry Wives of Windsor, Texas" recast Falstaff "as a Confederate colonel in the Civil War who goes to Texas in search of his fortune, as the cattle boom is starting," explained Haber. "The version we did in Houston was heavily Shakespearean. But over the years the piece has become a less and less literal adaptation. The dialogue now is mostly colloquial American."

Retitled "Lone Star Love," the musical went on to runs in Cleveland and other cities, then had an Off Broadway engagement in 2004. Jay O. Sanders played Falstaff, and the Red Clay Ramblers provided foot-stompin' music composed by group member Jack Herrick.

No question the Ramblers have theater chops: They were the house band for Sam Shepard's "A Lie of the Mind" Off Broadway, and backed up Bill Irwin and David Shiner in "Fool Moon," a Tony-honored clown-fest that toured to the 5th Avenue.

The Ramblers' rootsy, bluegrass-influenced sound enticed Quaid (a Houston native) to appear in "Lone Star Love," which opens at New York's Belasco Theatre in December. "They sent me the score through my agent, and I just fell in love with it," said the actor, in his soft, native drawl.

"Jack Herrick is a genius. ... I could remember some songs the next day, which is a real test. And the script was very funny."

Haber has revised the book for the show extensively, with TV writer Robert Horn, since New York critics singled it out as the weakest element of "Lone Star Love."

"Merry Wives of Windsor" hasn't fared well critically either, since its late 15th-century premiere. Among Shakespeare scholars such as Harold Bloom, it's often written off as a broad, flimsy farce, unworthy of Falstaff himself.

Haber, however, remains a fan of the sitcom-like play, in which hubbies suspect their virtuous wives of cheating and Falstaff gets his comeuppance in a basket of soiled laundry.

Haber says "Lone Star Love," Texas grit and all, is an "homage to what I consider to be one of the first feminist comedies. It's centuries ahead of its time, with the wives in town empowering themselves, taking on the men and bringing harmony to their community. It's about the power of love, versus the love of power."

Under Randy Skinner's direction, Quaid claims he's adding sex appeal to Falstaff's buffoonery. "He is genuinely romantic. He thinks he's a better Romeo than he actually is. ... But he can also be a very elegant and eloquent pursuer of women."

Though better known for film roles, Quaid has also done some theater acting. In 1984 he co-starred opposite brother Dennis Quaid in Shepard's Cain-and-Abel drama, "True West," and more recently appeared in "God of Hell" (another Shepard work). But he's new to the high-wire act of Broadway musical comedy acting.

That doesn't seem to faze him.

"I'm working with a trainer at the gym trying to get into shape for this thing. I also worked with [pop vocalist] Tami Lynn to try and get into the head of a singer."

Quaid can also seek advice from such sage "Lone Star Love" co-stars as Tony Award nominees Robert Cuccioli (seen earlier at the 5th Avenue in "Jekyll & Hyde" and "A Little Night Music") and Dee Hoty ("The Will Rogers Follies").

But is Quaid — a physically imposing guy of nearly 6-foot-5 who is often cast as a brutish heavy — truly a song-and-dance fan? You betcha.

"I love musicals, and got to sing in the Disney movie, 'Home on the Range,' " he noted. "Recently, I saw 'Spring Awakening' on Broadway. I love 'Carousel,' 'Oklahoma,' 'Les Misérables,' all of them. I'm also a big opera fan."

Well, as Colonel Falstaff might say, "Yee-ha!"
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Randy Quaid Headed to Broadway!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:16:57 pm »
Hunh.  Thanks for postin, Leslie.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:55:00 am »
Oh God in heaven, Leslie, where did that picture come from?

Reminds me of the Performance Thread, where Aguirre reflects on his earlier affair with Uncle Harold.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:05:12 pm »
I guess it's a bit mean of me to think this, but I hope he gets his salary all worked out in contract before the show debuts.

His (to my mind) craven search for more money for what was a supporting role in Brokeback Mountain has soured me on the admittedly talented Mr. Quaid.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:46:18 pm »
Oh God in heaven, Leslie, where did that picture come from?

Reminds me of the Performance Thread, where Aguirre reflects on his earlier affair with Uncle Harold.

The picture came from the Seattle Times where I found the article. I am sure it is a publicity shot for the show.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 12:57:45 pm »
The picture came from the Seattle Times where I found the article. I am sure it is a publicity shot for the show.

L

Are you kidding?   Is the show "La Cage aux Fallstaff"?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:05:47 pm »
Are you kidding?   Is the show "La Cage aux Fallstaff"?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OMG........
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 01:06:44 pm »

Here are some more pictures from the show. That's Randy in the top picture and in the two pictures with sunglasses (one playing the harmonica). It is playing in Seattle from Sept 8-30. Maybe we can talk Clarissa into going...all in the name of research, of course!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 01:13:56 pm »
I just read some online reviews of it, trying to muster the oomph to go.  So far, I probably won't.  But thought this was interesting:

RANDY QUAID (Colonel John Falstaff). Oscar, Emmy, BAFTA, and Independent Spirit Award nominee and Golden Globe winner, Randy Quaid is one of the most versatile stars in the entertainment industry with over 25 years of memorable performances in film, television and stage. As a young man driven by an intense passion for the craft of acting, he rode a bus from Texas to Hollywood and took a job as a janitor. Within a year, he earned an Academy Award nomination for his first lead performance in The Last Detail. Quaid’s astonishingly varied film repertoire spans from modern day classics (Midnight Express, The Last Picture Show) to blockbusters (Independence Day, Days of Thunder) to comedies (Kingpin, Christmas Vacation) to Academy Award winners (Brokeback Mountain, Paper Moon). He recently appeared as the King of Spain in Milos Forman’s Goya’s Ghosts and will soon be seen in the films Gary the Tennis Coach and Real Time. The television roles created by Quaid have been equally indelible, including the larger-than-life Colonel Tom Parker in “Elvis,” the complex title role in “LBJ: The Early Years,” and the heartbreaking Lenny in “Of Mice and Men.” His previous stage credits include Shakespeare in the Park’s The Golem and Sam Shepard’s True West and God of Hell.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=20459