Author Topic: Singles R Us  (Read 26047 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Singles R Us
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:14:54 pm »
I was driving home from the grocery store last night (I do all of my best thinking in the car), and I thought, "Hey, there should be a singles thread on Bettermost."

So, here I started one!

I shall tell a few stories about myself and my 'single-ness' I guess, to get things started...

Story 1:
I recently broke-up with my significant other.  I had tried to make the relationship work for a really long time, 6 or 12 years, depending on your prospective.  And, you know what, it just didn't work, and I realized I could go on struggling and being miserable, or get out of dodge.  I chose the latter.  I do find it frustrating sometimes that 'the world' acts like you failed, or you didn't try hard enough, when you choose to end your relationship.  Maintaining the relationship just for the sake of saying you maintained the relationship is not always a good thing to do.

Story 2:
I received an email from a longtime friend today - someone I email regularly, though not frequently.  I announced my recent break-up as news in my reply.  I hope my friend is happy for me, and not sad, and not feeling sorry for me...

Story 3:
The real reason I started the thread - I wanted to know how much money other single people spend on groceries per week!  I spend anywhere between 25 and 50 bucks...!  25 seems reasonable, but 50 seems a tad ludicrous.

:)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Singles R Us
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »

Hey Friend!  Thanks for starting this thread.  It's a great idea for a topic.

For the record I usually spend about $50 per week on groceries.  I always go into the store thinking I'll only spend $20 this time... but I always end up spending $50.  I guess I'm a victim to temptation a lot once I'm surrounded by all that good food...
 ::) ;D

Anyway, you're right that cooking for one can be tricky.

And, as for me... I'm a really, really (really) independent person.  So, I've often found it hard to commit to a relationship. 

Since I moved to Pittsburgh 2 years ago I've dated 3 people.  Two of those were really, very brief little attempts at dating and the third was a little bit more substantial.  Actually... number three was the only person I went to see Brokeback with in the theatre when it was still in general release!  I went to see it with her for my third viewing of the film (I saw it a total of 5 times in the theatre).  But, I remember telling her that it was only my second time seeing it because I already felt like BBM was becoming a somewhat *different* kind of obsession for me.  To her credit, the woman I was dating really liked the movie.  And, I remember a few days later we were having coffee and she started talking about how she couldn't stop thinking about the movie... and how the more she thought about it the more she liked it, etc.  So, it looked like the beginnings of Brokie fever.  Despite this, things fizzled out between us.

That's a big trend for me... I start dating someone and it begins *great* and then it fizzles.   :-\ 

I've only been in love once, and that was with my college girlfriend.  We had a second "round" of trying to make it work when I was in my mid-20s and it became clear that it wasn't going to work.  So, ever since then it's been a series of short flings and dating.

C'est la vie.  I guess.   :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:28 pm »
I spend about 20-25 on groceries each week, but I probably spend that much on eating out too. So....not good. Also about that much on dog and cat food and treats.

I have been divorced for several years after being married for 20 years. I've had a few boyfriends and been engaged twice since the divorce---but none of those worked out. The last guy I was engaged to---we were both 42---started dating a 20 year old. I took that as a sign that the marriage was off.   :P

At first, I wanted to get married again. Now, I have gotten accustomed to living alone, doing what I want, when I want--and having pets---so, right now, I am pretty happy with the way things are.  :)

Nice thread, nb!  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:47:32 pm »

I think hearing the diversity of our experiences on this topic will actually be fascinating!  This really is a great topic.

For the record, a lot of the time I'm really quite happy being single.  Maybe I'm just set in my ways... but there are lots of things to celebrate about being single, which seems important to keep in mind sometimes.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:51:35 pm »
Hi ladies!

Thanks for speaking up... I feel much better about my grocery money, now.

(life doesn't change all that much really, lunch money as a kid, grocery money as an adult...)

I actually feel like I have been in love a lot... three times, total.  Maybe that's not really a lot, maybe my definition of "in love" just changes as I age.  Well, whatever you want to call it, it certainly hasn't helped any of my relationships work out, lol!

I am currently enjoying not having to worry about the heart going "thump-thump,"  but I still hope that maybe it will again one day...

;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:14:09 am »
Now, I'm not single these days ladies, (so I hope you don't mind me dropping on in!)  but for the record - I used to spend about £35 in shopping - so thats about $70. The UK is more expensive than the US though me thinks...

I split up with my long term boyfriend of 6 years in Nov 2003. Like you Kelly, I had tried and tried, but it just wasn't working.

I met him through the brass band I play in.. we knew each other vaguely, but I sat next to his brother in band so in fact before we started seeing each other I was much much closer to his brother. Anyway, as a 16 year old I thought he was gorgeous, and he was 18 – older! Wow!

I was going to University 4 months later so  we carried on a long distance relationship  ..and all was good.. we saw each other a fair bit and that initial loved up stage was lovely.. I knew his brother well anyway and knew of his family, so I fitted in there quite well… 2 yrs went by… Looking back now it would have probably run its course eventually, had other things not intervened – but I’m a try-er I don’t give up easily on anything. But yes, he was a total Ennis, I myself am a Jack – the talker, always need to be on the go etc.

He was up seeing me at uni one weekend when his dad called. Can I speak to Stuart? Stuart put down the phone and said. Graham’s dead. His brother had been killed in an accident at work. That was a terrible time…I had my own grief to deal with as well as Stuart’s, his whole families, and Graham’s girlfriend (a mate of mine). I had to phone round our friends and tell them the news. I had to track down Graham’s best friend as no-one could get in touch with him and tell him over the phone (he was visiting his girlfriend in London). It was hard. I held the family together.

Now this in itself is not a big deal  in the grand scheme of things – plenty of people deal with death. But this was a lot to put on my shoulders at that age. But I wanted to be there – I loved this guy, very fond of the family, and his poor brother. Most of the time during the initial week or so after it.. he pushed me away. Didn’t want a cuddle, couldn’t handle it. It was just his way of dealing but there was other flashes of times, when I think he would have collapsed without me.

Anyway, there lies the problem… I let him treat me like 5hit.. because he was grieving.. and I got used to it. And I guess so did he. If he was horrible, and off hand, and more interested in his mates than me, and getting drunk and never physically but verbally abusive,  I would say, but he’s grieving. It took another 4 yrs to come to head and took his best friend over a year of repeatedly telling me.. he’s a 5hit to you. Get out of there. And other people telling me the same to eventually make things come to a head. They’re had been plenty of times when I said to him before.. things need to change… but it would always go back to normal.

So yeah, I was gutted when it all ended.. and cried non stop for 2 weeks even though it was me that brought things to a head. But I got over it and went into the I’m not interested in any relationship, just a few odd drunken snogs here and there .. I went on very few dates in the 3 years I was single before I met Callum. 3 dates with 2 different guys! and the one guy I had 2 dates with, both were in a group situation for most of the date.

And then March 2006 - I met Callum - in the midst of my brokie obsession. And I decided what harm would a few dates do.. did I really want to be an Ennis? We've been living together for 9 months now so I guess you can say those dates went well!  :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:19 am »
Story 3:
The real reason I started the thread - I wanted to know how much money other single people spend on groceries per week!  I spend anywhere between 25 and 50 bucks...!  25 seems reasonable, but 50 seems a tad ludicrous.

I'm spending on average about $40 a week at the grocery store, but that amount is a little misleading. That doesn't included milk picked up at the convenience store as needed, or 12-packs of soda picked up at the drug store (because it's closer to carry it home from the drug store and I can't manage 12-packs of soda and my regular groceries walking home from the supermarket) as needed, or the corn and tomatoes and other stuff bought at the farmer's market during the summer. I don't bother to add up those amounts. I don't want to know.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:49 pm »

And then March 2006 - I met Callum - in the midst of my brokie obsession. And I decided what harm would a few dates do.. did I really want to be an Ennis? We've been living together for 9 months now so I guess you can say those dates went well!  :laugh:

Kelda - thanks so much for sharing your story!  I am glad the dates went well!

(I also like knowing that it's possible to enjoy being alone for awhile... and still find another good relationship on the other side, that it doesn't have to be one way or the other, indefinitely.)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:03 pm »
I'm spending on average about $40 a week at the grocery store, but that amount is a little misleading. That doesn't included milk picked up at the convenience store as needed, or 12-packs of soda picked up at the drug store (because it's closer to carry it home from the drug store and I can't manage 12-packs of soda and my regular groceries walking home from the supermarket) as needed, or the corn and tomatoes and other stuff bought at the farmer's market during the summer. I don't bother to add up those amounts. I don't want to know.  :laugh:

goody!  so far no one has said they spend less than me, so I am go to try real hard to let go of any excess guilt regarding what I spend on food...  (I am always like, "Dang, maybe I should have paid a little more on the credit card bills, and endulged in a little less chocolate, or fruit, or wine...")

::)

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 09:23:35 pm »
My weekly expenditure on groceries is closer to the $25.00 end of the spectrum than to the $50.00 one, but this is a little misleading, as I eat out all the time (or purchase prepared food to take home and eat). I never use my kitchen, except to feed my cats and to rinse out and replenish their water bowl.

By the way, I am single. More precisely, I'm a single gay man--not in a relationship currently, couldn't marry another man in my home state if I wanted to, and never intend to marry anyone anyway. Definitely interested in love and romance, though, and do miss that a lot of the time, but I've always felt comfortable with my own company, and don't really feel lonely in a larger sense too often.

I've often thought that I wouldn't be too good in a cohabitation/marriage kind of relationship. I need a lot of down time, a lot of personal time, and fear that that kind of regular, prolonged nearness might prove smothering. I've had the feeling that I would do best in a dating kind of relationship, where I and my partner would spend time together (preferably at his cleaner, neater, and more comfortable place!), but where we both would have our own places to retreat from time to time.