Author Topic: Singles R Us  (Read 26065 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Singles R Us
« on: September 10, 2007, 10:14:54 pm »
I was driving home from the grocery store last night (I do all of my best thinking in the car), and I thought, "Hey, there should be a singles thread on Bettermost."

So, here I started one!

I shall tell a few stories about myself and my 'single-ness' I guess, to get things started...

Story 1:
I recently broke-up with my significant other.  I had tried to make the relationship work for a really long time, 6 or 12 years, depending on your prospective.  And, you know what, it just didn't work, and I realized I could go on struggling and being miserable, or get out of dodge.  I chose the latter.  I do find it frustrating sometimes that 'the world' acts like you failed, or you didn't try hard enough, when you choose to end your relationship.  Maintaining the relationship just for the sake of saying you maintained the relationship is not always a good thing to do.

Story 2:
I received an email from a longtime friend today - someone I email regularly, though not frequently.  I announced my recent break-up as news in my reply.  I hope my friend is happy for me, and not sad, and not feeling sorry for me...

Story 3:
The real reason I started the thread - I wanted to know how much money other single people spend on groceries per week!  I spend anywhere between 25 and 50 bucks...!  25 seems reasonable, but 50 seems a tad ludicrous.

:)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Singles R Us
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »

Hey Friend!  Thanks for starting this thread.  It's a great idea for a topic.

For the record I usually spend about $50 per week on groceries.  I always go into the store thinking I'll only spend $20 this time... but I always end up spending $50.  I guess I'm a victim to temptation a lot once I'm surrounded by all that good food...
 ::) ;D

Anyway, you're right that cooking for one can be tricky.

And, as for me... I'm a really, really (really) independent person.  So, I've often found it hard to commit to a relationship. 

Since I moved to Pittsburgh 2 years ago I've dated 3 people.  Two of those were really, very brief little attempts at dating and the third was a little bit more substantial.  Actually... number three was the only person I went to see Brokeback with in the theatre when it was still in general release!  I went to see it with her for my third viewing of the film (I saw it a total of 5 times in the theatre).  But, I remember telling her that it was only my second time seeing it because I already felt like BBM was becoming a somewhat *different* kind of obsession for me.  To her credit, the woman I was dating really liked the movie.  And, I remember a few days later we were having coffee and she started talking about how she couldn't stop thinking about the movie... and how the more she thought about it the more she liked it, etc.  So, it looked like the beginnings of Brokie fever.  Despite this, things fizzled out between us.

That's a big trend for me... I start dating someone and it begins *great* and then it fizzles.   :-\ 

I've only been in love once, and that was with my college girlfriend.  We had a second "round" of trying to make it work when I was in my mid-20s and it became clear that it wasn't going to work.  So, ever since then it's been a series of short flings and dating.

C'est la vie.  I guess.   :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:15:28 pm »
I spend about 20-25 on groceries each week, but I probably spend that much on eating out too. So....not good. Also about that much on dog and cat food and treats.

I have been divorced for several years after being married for 20 years. I've had a few boyfriends and been engaged twice since the divorce---but none of those worked out. The last guy I was engaged to---we were both 42---started dating a 20 year old. I took that as a sign that the marriage was off.   :P

At first, I wanted to get married again. Now, I have gotten accustomed to living alone, doing what I want, when I want--and having pets---so, right now, I am pretty happy with the way things are.  :)

Nice thread, nb!  ;D
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:47:32 pm »

I think hearing the diversity of our experiences on this topic will actually be fascinating!  This really is a great topic.

For the record, a lot of the time I'm really quite happy being single.  Maybe I'm just set in my ways... but there are lots of things to celebrate about being single, which seems important to keep in mind sometimes.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:51:35 pm »
Hi ladies!

Thanks for speaking up... I feel much better about my grocery money, now.

(life doesn't change all that much really, lunch money as a kid, grocery money as an adult...)

I actually feel like I have been in love a lot... three times, total.  Maybe that's not really a lot, maybe my definition of "in love" just changes as I age.  Well, whatever you want to call it, it certainly hasn't helped any of my relationships work out, lol!

I am currently enjoying not having to worry about the heart going "thump-thump,"  but I still hope that maybe it will again one day...

;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:14:09 am »
Now, I'm not single these days ladies, (so I hope you don't mind me dropping on in!)  but for the record - I used to spend about £35 in shopping - so thats about $70. The UK is more expensive than the US though me thinks...

I split up with my long term boyfriend of 6 years in Nov 2003. Like you Kelly, I had tried and tried, but it just wasn't working.

I met him through the brass band I play in.. we knew each other vaguely, but I sat next to his brother in band so in fact before we started seeing each other I was much much closer to his brother. Anyway, as a 16 year old I thought he was gorgeous, and he was 18 – older! Wow!

I was going to University 4 months later so  we carried on a long distance relationship  ..and all was good.. we saw each other a fair bit and that initial loved up stage was lovely.. I knew his brother well anyway and knew of his family, so I fitted in there quite well… 2 yrs went by… Looking back now it would have probably run its course eventually, had other things not intervened – but I’m a try-er I don’t give up easily on anything. But yes, he was a total Ennis, I myself am a Jack – the talker, always need to be on the go etc.

He was up seeing me at uni one weekend when his dad called. Can I speak to Stuart? Stuart put down the phone and said. Graham’s dead. His brother had been killed in an accident at work. That was a terrible time…I had my own grief to deal with as well as Stuart’s, his whole families, and Graham’s girlfriend (a mate of mine). I had to phone round our friends and tell them the news. I had to track down Graham’s best friend as no-one could get in touch with him and tell him over the phone (he was visiting his girlfriend in London). It was hard. I held the family together.

Now this in itself is not a big deal  in the grand scheme of things – plenty of people deal with death. But this was a lot to put on my shoulders at that age. But I wanted to be there – I loved this guy, very fond of the family, and his poor brother. Most of the time during the initial week or so after it.. he pushed me away. Didn’t want a cuddle, couldn’t handle it. It was just his way of dealing but there was other flashes of times, when I think he would have collapsed without me.

Anyway, there lies the problem… I let him treat me like 5hit.. because he was grieving.. and I got used to it. And I guess so did he. If he was horrible, and off hand, and more interested in his mates than me, and getting drunk and never physically but verbally abusive,  I would say, but he’s grieving. It took another 4 yrs to come to head and took his best friend over a year of repeatedly telling me.. he’s a 5hit to you. Get out of there. And other people telling me the same to eventually make things come to a head. They’re had been plenty of times when I said to him before.. things need to change… but it would always go back to normal.

So yeah, I was gutted when it all ended.. and cried non stop for 2 weeks even though it was me that brought things to a head. But I got over it and went into the I’m not interested in any relationship, just a few odd drunken snogs here and there .. I went on very few dates in the 3 years I was single before I met Callum. 3 dates with 2 different guys! and the one guy I had 2 dates with, both were in a group situation for most of the date.

And then March 2006 - I met Callum - in the midst of my brokie obsession. And I decided what harm would a few dates do.. did I really want to be an Ennis? We've been living together for 9 months now so I guess you can say those dates went well!  :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:19 am »
Story 3:
The real reason I started the thread - I wanted to know how much money other single people spend on groceries per week!  I spend anywhere between 25 and 50 bucks...!  25 seems reasonable, but 50 seems a tad ludicrous.

I'm spending on average about $40 a week at the grocery store, but that amount is a little misleading. That doesn't included milk picked up at the convenience store as needed, or 12-packs of soda picked up at the drug store (because it's closer to carry it home from the drug store and I can't manage 12-packs of soda and my regular groceries walking home from the supermarket) as needed, or the corn and tomatoes and other stuff bought at the farmer's market during the summer. I don't bother to add up those amounts. I don't want to know.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:49 pm »

And then March 2006 - I met Callum - in the midst of my brokie obsession. And I decided what harm would a few dates do.. did I really want to be an Ennis? We've been living together for 9 months now so I guess you can say those dates went well!  :laugh:

Kelda - thanks so much for sharing your story!  I am glad the dates went well!

(I also like knowing that it's possible to enjoy being alone for awhile... and still find another good relationship on the other side, that it doesn't have to be one way or the other, indefinitely.)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:03 pm »
I'm spending on average about $40 a week at the grocery store, but that amount is a little misleading. That doesn't included milk picked up at the convenience store as needed, or 12-packs of soda picked up at the drug store (because it's closer to carry it home from the drug store and I can't manage 12-packs of soda and my regular groceries walking home from the supermarket) as needed, or the corn and tomatoes and other stuff bought at the farmer's market during the summer. I don't bother to add up those amounts. I don't want to know.  :laugh:

goody!  so far no one has said they spend less than me, so I am go to try real hard to let go of any excess guilt regarding what I spend on food...  (I am always like, "Dang, maybe I should have paid a little more on the credit card bills, and endulged in a little less chocolate, or fruit, or wine...")

::)

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 09:23:35 pm »
My weekly expenditure on groceries is closer to the $25.00 end of the spectrum than to the $50.00 one, but this is a little misleading, as I eat out all the time (or purchase prepared food to take home and eat). I never use my kitchen, except to feed my cats and to rinse out and replenish their water bowl.

By the way, I am single. More precisely, I'm a single gay man--not in a relationship currently, couldn't marry another man in my home state if I wanted to, and never intend to marry anyone anyway. Definitely interested in love and romance, though, and do miss that a lot of the time, but I've always felt comfortable with my own company, and don't really feel lonely in a larger sense too often.

I've often thought that I wouldn't be too good in a cohabitation/marriage kind of relationship. I need a lot of down time, a lot of personal time, and fear that that kind of regular, prolonged nearness might prove smothering. I've had the feeling that I would do best in a dating kind of relationship, where I and my partner would spend time together (preferably at his cleaner, neater, and more comfortable place!), but where we both would have our own places to retreat from time to time.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 10:47:51 pm »
I'm closer to the $50.00 a week but I never and I do mean never eat out. My Starbucks once a week Soy Latte is my treat (and I didn't even get one this week  :( )

I live alone. But then as long as I have kitties I'm not alone. I do not get lonely. I do feel very isolated sometimes though. I like doing what I want when I want. No one to bother me.

The single life can be more isolating and expensive though. Two can live almost as cheaply as one. But then my hobbies are pretty cheap and I don't have anyone who wants expensive toys. I like to knit, sew and embroider.

moremojo, I'm really with you on that down time too. Since I work as an RN by the end of my three long shifts I have had it. The only company I really need for a time has fur and a tail.

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 06:11:11 am »
goody!  so far no one has said they spend less than me, so I am go to try real hard to let go of any excess guilt regarding what I spend on food...  (I am always like, "Dang, maybe I should have paid a little more on the credit card bills, and endulged in a little less chocolate, or fruit, or wine...")

Hi nb.  I'm new on this site and saw this topic and thought it was interesting.  I probably spend about $50/week, but I don't eat out either.  Whatever I buy, I use up and I shop about every 3 weeks.  I also buy bottled water which is included in that $50.   I figure if I buy good fresh vegies and fruit, that is much better for me than buying other foods that are not nutritious like chips and candy.  I can even rationalize ice cream because there is some food value there. ;D  My weakness.

I am a single woman too.  I have been single since 1986 when my second husband died suddenly at age 42.  It has been so long now - not to mention that I'm set in my ways - I don't really think I would be interested in anyone to live with - maybe dating for dinner, a movie, dancing.  But, much as I hate to admit it, I can't imagine "cuddliing" with a man my age.  I am 65 y/o and the guys I see who are my age are very unattractive to me.  Of course, it might also be because I've never dated men my age - I was 43 when my husband died. ::)  The other problem is that men don't seem to evolve like women IMO.  I haven't met one yet that would understand my obsession with BBM.  In my age group, they are too threatened.  Correct me if I'm wrong and haven't given guys a chance. I'd love your input.  I have basically given up altogether and am telling myself that I'm satisfied with just being alone. 

Thanks for listening.

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 07:04:43 am »
Hi nb.  I'm new on this site and saw this topic and thought it was interesting.  I probably spend about $50/week, but I don't eat out either.  Whatever I buy, I use up and I shop about every 3 weeks.  I also buy bottled water which is included in that $50.   I figure if I buy good fresh vegies and fruit, that is much better for me than buying other foods that are not nutritious like chips and candy.  I can even rationalize ice cream because there is some food value there. ;D  My weakness.

I am a single woman too.  I have been single since 1986 when my second husband died suddenly at age 42.  It has been so long now - not to mention that I'm set in my ways - I don't really think I would be interested in anyone to live with - maybe dating for dinner, a movie, dancing.  But, much as I hate to admit it, I can't imagine "cuddliing" with a man my age.  I am 65 y/o and the guys I see who are my age are very unattractive to me.  Of course, it might also be because I've never dated men my age - I was 43 when my husband died. ::)  The other problem is that men don't seem to evolve like women IMO.  I haven't met one yet that would understand my obsession with BBM.  In my age group, they are too threatened.  Correct me if I'm wrong and haven't given guys a chance. I'd love your input.  I have basically given up altogether and am telling myself that I'm satisfied with just being alone. 

Thanks for listening.

Welcome to Bettermost, lonelyinbbm! I'm one of the two moderators on the forum How We Live, the other being Kelda and if you have any questions, please let me know by sending me a PM!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

:) Mel

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 06:17:12 pm »
Welcome to Bettermost, lonelyinbbm! I'm one of the two moderators on the forum How We Live, the other being Kelda and if you have any questions, please let me know by sending me a PM!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

:) Mel
Thanks for the welcome Mel.  I've been "lurking" around for awhile so I am pretty familiar with the site.  L

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »
Hi lonelyinbbm,

It's great to see you posting here. :)

I think the issue of being "set in your ways" is really interesting... I definitely feel the same way about myself in terms of my daily routines and the way I live my life.  It presents an interesting conflict to me.  There are many moments when I think it would be great to have a partner and I feel like I should be making more efforts to get out there and try to meet people, but then a lot of the times I just don't really want to or I'm resistant to the idea of having another person involved in my life in a constant way.  I've never lived with a significant other (and I'm 32), so I can only imagine that it would be really hard for me to get used to that now. 
 :-\

Anyway, I think the whole general issue of getting "set in our ways" is probably a pretty common and major issue for singles.

cheers,
Amanda

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 08:18:27 pm »
I have wondered a lot lately about the "urge to couple" or lack thereof...

Is it cultural, instinctual, societal?

Up until now, I have spent the last twelve years of my life (I am 30) either being 'with someone' or plotting, hoping, wishing to be with someone. 

I also think of myself as a rather driven and independent person.  When going through my recent break-up, one of the things I looked forward to was not having the burden of another person.  Now, I realize that the fact that my relationship was a 'burden' is a problem in and of itself... But I did question whether it was selfish or weird of me to not have an immediate desire to be with another person...

But I think probably, that as our culture changes/evolves we can survive without coupledom.  There are ways to have and maintain relationships that help make us whole, without entering coupledom.  Not that there is anything wrong with coupledom.  I just don't think it has to be one's life goal...  And for me, growing up, while coupledom wasn't the only goal I felt I should have, it definitely felt like it should have been included in the list of goals.  I don't really feel that way right now.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 08:24:46 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong and haven't given guys a chance. I'd love your input.  I have basically given up altogether and am telling myself that I'm satisfied with just being alone. 

Thanks for listening.

Heck if I know, lol.... 

I have a pretty high opinion of myself, so I used to always try and give my friends lovelife advice...  As I found myself putting up with crap I would never have advised my friends to put up with, I realized there wasn't really any point to giving advice.  Basically, I think you have to figure out a way to know yourself, and to trust yourself, and then you just choose to try or not to try... There are no right or wrong answers.  You just do the best you can.  And if you're happy - congratulations!  If you're not, you owe it to yourself to try to get happy. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 08:50:55 pm »
I have wondered a lot lately about the "urge to couple" or lack thereof...

Is it cultural, instinctual, societal?

Up until now, I have spent the last twelve years of my life (I am 30) either being 'with someone' or plotting, hoping, wishing to be with someone. 

I also think of myself as a rather driven and independent person.  When going through my recent break-up, one of the things I looked forward to was not having the burden of another person.  Now, I realize that the fact that my relationship was a 'burden' is a problem in and of itself... But I did question whether it was selfish or weird of me to not have an immediate desire to be with another person...

But I think probably, that as our culture changes/evolves we can survive without coupledom.  There are ways to have and maintain relationships that help make us whole, without entering coupledom.  Not that there is anything wrong with coupledom.  I just don't think it has to be one's life goal...  And for me, growing up, while coupledom wasn't the only goal I felt I should have, it definitely felt like it should have been included in the list of goals.  I don't really feel that way right now.

Well, I think you raise some really interesting issues here... some really general and some really personal. 

I do think there's a lot of *pressure* to couple-up... absolutely.  Sometimes I think that makes it really hard to determine whether a given person's urge to be part of a couple is really personally motivated or partially (or even largely) based on trying to fulfill the obligation of that pressure.  I have known a lot of people who have gotten married for the sake of the "stability" or because they just wanted to be married.  I think marriage as an institution can be really problematic when it comes to individual choice, etc. especially when there may be a lot of family pressure.  Of course... all of this is speaking in very general terms.

On a different note, I can absolutely relate to your reaction to your break-up where you felt a sense of relief or release from the "burden" of having the other person around.  That's exactly how I felt when I broke up with my most significant girlfriend from my grad school years.  When we broke up, I remember feeling like a huge load of stress was lifted from my shoulders.  I'll actually never forget that feeling of relief.  It was sort of shocking to experience.  I was the one who broke up with her and it was largely because I felt like we weren't "clicking" anymore and that the initial chemistry had fizzled.  I do think this emotional response (that of relief) on my part to the break up had to do with the specifics of that relationship. 

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2007, 06:11:20 am »
Hi lonelyinbbm,

It's great to see you posting here. :)

I think the issue of being "set in your ways" is really interesting... I definitely feel the same way about myself in terms of my daily routines and the way I live my life.  It presents an interesting conflict to me.  There are many moments when I think it would be great to have a partner and I feel like I should be making more efforts to get out there and try to meet people, but then a lot of the times I just don't really want to or I'm resistant to the idea of having another person involved in my life in a constant way.  I've never lived with a significant other (and I'm 32), so I can only imagine that it would be really hard for me to get used to that now. 
 :-\

Anyway, I think the whole general issue of getting "set in our ways" is probably a pretty common and major issue for singles.

cheers,
Amanda

Hi Amanda.  I never believed in being "set in your ways" but as the years have gone by, I see myself in a much narrower way.  But, Amanda, you are too young to avoid getting involved with someone.  You have the best years of your life ahead of you.  I know it is hard, but you need to just get "out there" and find something you like to do - take a course, walk in a walkathon, meet people doing things you enjoy.  You don't want to be that old "spinster" who gives out stale candy to the kids at Halloween now do you?   :o  You know the one who lives in that scary house!  :D  I'm just kidding, but it would get lonely. 

Thanks for the welcome.  One thing I know is that you are here so you must be looking for some kind of encouragment.  Is that your picture in your avatar?  I think you are very attractiv, so you shouldn't have any fear about meeting anyone.  My daughter is quite overweight so she is always self-conscious about meeting people. 

Give it a try and check back in.  For some reason I didn't get notified when you responded even though I clicked the notify button.  I will check back in a few days if I don't hear from you.

L

Offline lonelyinbbm

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 06:22:57 am »
Heck if I know, lol.... 

I have a pretty high opinion of myself, so I used to always try and give my friends lovelife advice...  As I found myself putting up with crap I would never have advised my friends to put up with, I realized there wasn't really any point to giving advice.  Basically, I think you have to figure out a way to know yourself, and to trust yourself, and then you just choose to try or not to try... There are no right or wrong answers.  You just do the best you can.  And if you're happy - congratulations!  If you're not, you owe it to yourself to try to get happy. 
Hi nb.  I know what you mean about giving advice, but I do think that an outsider can sometimes see another person's relationship issues better than they see their own.  So, don't sell your advice short.  You have probably helped some people.  I know what you mean about "coupledom."  The rules have changed and we don't need someone to support us.  I'm guessing you are a woman for some reason.  But, in my case at least, I was "socialized" to marry, be a housewife and have kids.  When I married and my new husband told me to get a job, I was shocked.  But, we needed 2 incomes.  When I had my second child, I did stay home with the 2 of them for 7 years.  I went back to work when my husband left me for another woman.  I did marry again and my husband died in 1986. 

In this day and age, people aren't looking for relationships for the same reasons.  Women can take care of themselves, they don't need someone to take care of them.  So, in my case I don't know whether I want anyone "in my way" either.  I can't imagine having anyone living with me.  But you are very young and you are in your prime.  You have a lot of living left to do.  Get out there and at least find something enjoyable to do.  You might even find some new friends while your at it.  And, then you will have a mutual interest as well.

Thanks for your feedback.  L

moremojo

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 12:42:53 pm »
Lots of interesting, wise comments here. I'm in agreement regarding the issue of coupledom--this kind of relationship is not necessary for a rich, fulfilling life, and in fact some of the world's unhappiest people are those entrenched in relationships because they simply fear being alone or are staying together due to social pressure or coercion. We are all the inheritors of thousands of years of tradition in which marriage or cohabitation has been instilled as an unassailable ideal or an unavoidable fate, and even though recent decades in the Western world have opened up new possibilities for us all, we still grapple with this often problematic cultural legacy.

It's interesting to reflect on how many figures who are regarded as spiritual or religious heroes have not followed the path of coupledom. The Buddha even abandoned his family to pursue enlightenment, and think of the contemplative monks and nuns who have renounced the pleasures of the flesh in striving to become closer to their God. There are exceptions of course, and I don't think companionship or sexuality are at all antithetical to the spiritual life, but there does seem to be a suggestion in these many examples that social expectation all too often impedes spiritual growth.

I have come to believe that before we can prove a worthy lover/companion to someone else, we must first become lover and best friend to ourselves. In my own life, I have found this challenging, often seeking in others the qualities I feel I lack in myself. While I think it is natural to seek one's complement in the other, the feeling that we are incomplete without the other is the fatal illusion that can kill or render unhealthy many relationships, and which causes much of the suffering that accrues when a relationship does end.

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 12:21:26 am »
I'm single, but I'm 18 and still in school so my parents pay for the groceries lol.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 09:46:05 pm »
That is nice!!

I still enjoy when I visit my parents and they cook for me!  I wish they came to see me more often, as they will typically cook and shop for me then, as well!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:05 am »

CONGRATS ON 1000 POSTS NOTBASTET!!!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 09:12:53 pm »
hahahahaha,

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

I am too busy at work to celebrate adequately - maybe this weekend...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 09:51:24 pm »
Well, single here.

It's only recently (the past year or so) that I've actively dated.  I always kept to myself and had a wall up around me.

On top of that, I had very low self esteem.  I've come to learn that you can't be a good partner to someone, and you can't love someone, if you don't love yourself.

I've also learned that you can't look for someone to be the "missing piece" in your life.  You need to complete yourself, and then find somone who respects you, and who you respect.

One thing I didn't count on was the feeling of being "out of touch" with the dating scene.  With some of the things that get suggested to me, I end up feeling like a prude.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:41 am »
I'm single, but I'm 18 and still in school so my parents pay for the groceries lol.
[/quote

heee enjoy it when you can Krisitn - and welcome to bettermost and the How We Live Forum  :-*

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »
I was driving home from the grocery store last night (I do all of my best thinking in the car), and I thought, "Hey, there should be a singles thread on Bettermost."

So, here I started one!

I shall tell a few stories about myself and my 'single-ness' I guess, to get things started...

Story 1:
I recently broke-up with my significant other.  I had tried to make the relationship work for a really long time, 6 or 12 years, depending on your prospective.  And, you know what, it just didn't work, and I realized I could go on struggling and being miserable, or get out of dodge.  I chose the latter.  I do find it frustrating sometimes that 'the world' acts like you failed, or you didn't try hard enough, when you choose to end your relationship.  Maintaining the relationship just for the sake of saying you maintained the relationship is not always a good thing to do.

Story 2:
I received an email from a longtime friend today - someone I email regularly, though not frequently.  I announced my recent break-up as news in my reply.  I hope my friend is happy for me, and not sad, and not feeling sorry for me...

Story 3:

If I shop at Trader Joe's and am careful, I don't have to spend an exorbitant amount.

I am single, age 42, hetero, female.   I often travel alone though I also like to hang out with friends.    Many of my pals are also single and have no kids, though this is not the case for all of them.
     I tend to attract the unwanted attention of men twice my age!   :-\

"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2007, 09:43:37 pm »
Today I had a day where I would read love poems and go, "Ewww.  Who wants to bother with all that?"  Does that ever happen to anyone else?  Interestingly (or not), love songs never make me feel that way.  I can take sappy ole love songs any time of day, any day of the week...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2007, 10:14:08 pm »
My sister was recently dumped by her young lover.  I listened to her grief with sympathy, though I had my doubts about what kind of relationship it really was (my sister's self-esteem is rock bottom and she will consider some guy she gave a blowjob to after a night on the town as the beginning of a 'relationship').  At some point she wailed,

"Well, do you just give up?"

That woke me up because I realized it was not a rhetorical question.  Though I had forgotten and not thought much of it, she was well aware I have not dated nor even had sex with anyone in over 4 years now.

I told her that we were just two different people.  She had been married and now had a child so relationships with men were very important to her, while I have been for the most part single all my life, and relationships with men were just something that kinda came and went.

The longer I stay alone, the longer I like to stay alone and after much thought, have decided that men are just too expensive.  I'm a feminist of the old school and believe in equal dating.  He treats me, I treat him and believe me, he gets the better end of the deal because men eat a great deal.  My restaurant meals consist of an entree and some ice tea.  My last few exes idea of dinner was wine, an appetizer, a salad, an entree and dessert!

Even eating at home was expensive.  My idea of an at-home meal left them hungry, so much larger portions and/or snacks were the order of the day.

I was going broke fast dating them.

So now, as I'm trying to figure out how to afford a house/condo/mobile home of my own, men are just not in the equation anymore.  They've turned out to be a luxury I can't afford.

I don't feel bad about it though.  Not like some women.  I've had chances to marry or be with someone on a permanent basis.  3 men were dead serious about it and would have married me in a second had I wanted to marry them.  So, it's not like I never had a choice or the opportunity.

My mother is sad about it.  She's not doing well healthwise and may not be around much longer.  She told me that she would have liked to have seen me and my sister settled down and happy with families of our own before she left.  Instead she has a pair of daughters, one divorced and the other uninterested in white picket fences, that she will likely go to her grave worried about.  :-\

She had hoped I'd meet some nice decent guy.

I told her if she knew where they were she should tell me.   ;D

Now, as for:

Story 2:

When I e-mailed my firiends about being dumped last time, I found out who my friends were.  Those I called my friends instantly sided with me, sight unseen, because they knew, in any relationship, I would not have earned nor deserved being dumped.

Others who hemmed and hawed and wanted to remain 'objective' I cut out of my life.  Obviously they didn't know me as well as they said.

Story 3:
The real reason I started the thread - I wanted to know how much money other single people spend on groceries per week!  I spend anywhere between 25 and 50 bucks...!  25 seems reasonable, but 50 seems a tad ludicrous

Jeez, I spend easily $10 or more per day and that's if I don't go out with friends on the weekend and eat out.  Lunch alone at the deli I eat at is costly, but is too convenient for me to ignore due to my busy work schedule.  I don't cook worth a damn, so being Susie Homemaker and cooking all my meals to save money doesn't work.

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2007, 11:23:27 pm »
I don't cook worth a damn, so being Susie Homemaker and cooking all my meals to save money doesn't work.

One day, when I have time (no movies to watch, no chores worth tending to, and nothing to dwell on) I would like to sit down, do some math, and see if it is cheaper for me to feed myself through takeout (which can often provide multiple meals) or the standard grocery fare... 

One of the things I hate about _____ (can't figure out exact pc word to put there) is the whole Susie Homemaker image.  I also can't cook worth a damn.  My mom, who would die of embarrassment if she read me saying this, didn't exactly spend time teaching me to cook as I was growing up.  My dad, in fact, did a lot of the cooking, for better or worse (veg-all was the vegetable staple for awhile).  I didn't particularly care - I wasn't sitting around wishing my mom had more time to spend teaching me how to cook.  But, I still get aggravated at how this one person I was involved with couldn't understand why I didn't have the instinctual longing to prepare a meal for him - he really took it personally!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »
Men are just too expensive.

You got that right, sister--and not just financially.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:20 am »
My sister was recently dumped by her young lover.  I listened to her grief with sympathy, though I had my doubts about what kind of relationship it really was (my sister's self-esteem is rock bottom and she will consider some guy she gave a blowjob to after a night on the town as the beginning of a 'relationship').  At some point she wailed,

"Well, do you just give up?"

That woke me up because I realized it was not a rhetorical question.  Though I had forgotten and not thought much of it, she was well aware I have not dated nor even had sex with anyone in over 4 years now.

I told her that we were just two different people.  She had been married and now had a child so relationships with men were very important to her, while I have been for the most part single all my life, and relationships with men were just something that kinda came and went.

The longer I stay alone, the longer I like to stay alone and after much thought, have decided that men are just too expensive.  I'm a feminist of the old school and believe in equal dating.  He treats me, I treat him and believe me, he gets the better end of the deal because men eat a great deal.  My restaurant meals consist of an entree and some ice tea.  My last few exes idea of dinner was wine, an appetizer, a salad, an entree and dessert!

Even eating at home was expensive.  My idea of an at-home meal left them hungry, so much larger portions and/or snacks were the order of the day.

I was going broke fast dating them.

Hey Dela.

Yer right, most men can be expensive. I, myself, am usually just content with a burger and fries as my appetite over the years has shrunk considerably. LOL
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 09:12:16 am »
Hey All.

I just wanted to say that I've read everyone's posts here and I really enjoyed them.

I myself have been single for the last 42 years (which is how old I am) and it's had it's ups and downs. The last time I've even had sex was just before I got out of the service and that was way back in 2002. Even then, it was a one night stand here and there or just a quick lay and leave.

At first, I thought I was straight, but that never worked because as soon as she started b****ing I'd boot her butt out the door. Then I tried the gay route, but that turned out to be ho-hum. Finally, I decided to heck with it and became an asexual(whatever that really means) and just gave up on the whole thing.

I guess it could be that I've never really liked anyone I was with for more than a few minutes, so, I never gave the dating scene and quality time. I guess you could say that I have a dominant Ennis personality with a minimum of Jack thrown in.

Also, for nb's purposes, I usually try to spend at least $50 dollars a week on groceries, but since I've moved here I usually spend about $100 every time I go to the store since I make very few trips into town. Most of the time I'm pretty much snowed in and have to use a snowmobile just to get to my car depending on if there is one available.

Anyway, that's my sorry lovelife in a nutshell.
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline ZK

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 07:37:37 am »
Re being single, for me is taking a bit of getting used.

Re groceries: I am fortunate because I am supplied two smallish meals a day at work (if I get time to eat - mind you the other day I scored five meals yay)  After checking microsoft money I evidentally spend about $60.00-$80.00 a week, not counting take-aways. I normally only have coffee for breakfast, a light lunch with the main meal at night. If I have my daughter with me we have dessert, otherwise I skip dessert. At the tender age of 43 I am learning how to cook, so I am always up for takeaways or dining out

Offline Katness

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Proud wolf in human clothing.
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 01:40:54 am »
Ok, I actually don't know the average I spend on groceries as it tends to fluctuate depending on what I need to get at the time.

I have not actually been in a relationship yet. But, I am more then ready now. I actually chose to wait till I had sorted myself out and raised my self esteem and got older so I could get together with someone in the age group I'm interested in with out it seeming too odd.

But now, I'm ready for my, uhh, own "BBM" experience so to speak. However, patience is a virtue.  ;D

Sincerely, Kat.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

If all is not lost, then where is it?

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:26 pm »
Ok, I actually don't know the average I spend on groceries as it tends to fluctuate depending on what I need to get at the time.

I have not actually been in a relationship yet. But, I am more then ready now. I actually chose to wait till I had sorted myself out and raised my self esteem and got older so I could get together with someone in the age group I'm interested in with out it seeming too odd.

But now, I'm ready for my, uhh, own "BBM" experience so to speak. However, patience is a virtue.  ;D

Sincerely, Kat.

Good on you Kat - I hope 2008 is the year for you!

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 12:39:05 am »
I spend about $150 to $200 in groceries every two weeks between my parents, my nieces and I, plus two big dogs and 3 cats. I mostly shop and Sams. Living in the suburbs of Philadelphia is fairly expensive.

I've been divorced for 10 yrs. In the beginning I liked being single and "finding" myself again. Recently I started dating but nothing sparked not even a click, pretty sad isn't it.

This guy I dated a couple of times decided that it we were better as friends and we do have fun together.

I'm still waiting for my Jack to spark my Ennis.  Someone that shrares my quriky interests of art, Broadway, movies, going to the circus, hockey, going to Soho on the weekends in the sumer and  horses, horses, horses.

Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 08:41:15 am »
Recently I started dating but nothing sparked not even a click, pretty sad isn't it.

Don't say that. Meeting and dating different people can be fun too, even if you don't click. At least you had a date! Just enjoy it. Someone will come along.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 02:22:47 pm »
Single and happy for the most part.    I've been in a few relationships.    I've come to the realization that is not always them, sometimes it is me.   I can be self centered at times.   And you are always the last to know you are being self centered until someone points it out.
I've lived alone now for the last 10 years.    It doesn't bother me.   Thankgoodness for the internet.   That helps kill any bordom and need for outside contact when needed.   What I do misss is having single friends to do things with.  No, not just sex.  LOL.    Although a few friends with benefits doesn't hurt.   ::)

I just read an interesting sentence in a book I was reading.  The main character was asking another man why his mother refused the other man's marriage proposal.  The man responded without rancor:

"She wisely refused me, saying she thought I was quite unfit for marriage to anyone...she perceived...that I am a natural bachelor and much too fond of my own company and habits to make the adjustments required by marriage..."

Relationships require a lot of compromise and some of us sometimes just aren't ready/able/willing to make those adjustments.  I don't find that self-centered.  You like what you like. 

I find that another year has begun, I'm still single, men still find me very attractive, but I have no urge to make the effort to meet men.  I'm hardly asexual, my libido was always as high or higher than my ex-lovers, but I just find it too much trouble and am more concerned with saving money to buy a house and I don't need any unnecessary expenses  :P

Are intimate relationships necessary?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 03:13:54 pm »
Are intimate relationships necessary?

Well, not really but they can be fun!  ;D

Although a few friends with benefits doesn't hurt.

No, it doesn't!  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 12:49:57 am »
Reading thru all these posts it seems like all the Ennises can get along pretty well by themselves, but the Jacks are a different story!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »
Sort of related...new research that shows that geeks make the best mates!!

http://www.livescience.com/health/080212-dating-success.html

I wish I'd known this before choosing my mate!!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2009, 06:21:30 am »
I spend at least $60 a week on groceries, but I also spend at least that much eating out.

Interesting posts on this thread and I'm in agreement with a lot of the posts - I like to be on my own and have my own space.  Relationships are way too complicated for me.  I don't want to compromise and I like a LOT of downtime.  I guess I sound very selfish and self-centered.   :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
I spend at least $60 a week on groceries, but I also spend at least that much eating out.

Interesting posts on this thread and I'm in agreement with a lot of the posts - I like to be on my own and have my own space.  Relationships are way too complicated for me.  I don't want to compromise and I like a LOT of downtime.  I guess I sound very selfish and self-centered.   :P

Not at all! You've got to be selfish some times!

Offline ZK

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 04:10:39 am »
Not at all! You've got to be selfish some times!
I don't think its selfish either. I have always enjoyed some time to myself. I guess thats why I like shift work so much. Some time with a partner and some time for myself too

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 02:44:12 pm »
Time alone isn't a bad or selfish thing.

My parents have been married for over 40 years, and they still go out without each other occasionally, dad with his brothers, and mom with her friends.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline KristinDaBomb

• My Blog
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2009, 02:22:19 pm »
[/quote

heee enjoy it when you can Krisitn - and welcome to bettermost and the How We Live Forum  :-*

Just saw this post, thank you. :)

Well I am 19 now (20 next month) and my parents still pay for the groceries! And I am still single. :( Hopefully the right girl will come along someday.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2009, 07:21:26 pm »
She will hun, she will!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 01:51:27 pm »
Some notes from the front lines:

1) A bisexual friend was trying men this time around again, and had met a nice guy at one of her Dining Out groups.  Things were moving along and she was letting me know they were finally getting to know each other better.

Went to visit her this last weekend and when I asked after her guy, she reported she had now blocked him from her Facebook/MySpace and phone.  Apparently, the guy had a borderline personality disorder and was a bit of a stalker.  :o

2) A friend fell for a soon-to-be-divorced man.  They had been friends for a while.  The guy had been separated for a long time, so she reasoned he wouldn't be the shocky-needing-a-transitional-woman type.  She waited through his emotional ups and downs, got assurances from him that he wanted a serious relationship with her, they dated some - or as much as his and her schedule and his child custody days would allow - but he always seemed to be holding back.  He'd been married most of his adult life, so his  friends cautioned her that he just needed to be "officially" divorced and things would be different.  So, she waited that out as well.  Finally, he gets divorced, they have a 'first' date post-divorce and things went swimmingly.  He went out of his way to go visit her while she was out of town working and they had official 'date #2' where they finally got fully intimate. 

And...he doesn't call her again.  She has to call him and though he's pleasant and happy to chat and gossip, suddenly the intimacy is gone, he's ambivalent about when he can see her again.   >:(

His friends are disappointed in him and are telling her that he's treating her like she's 'convenient'.

Needless to say, it's apparently over before it even began.  My friend is heartbroken because she waited for this, believed what he was telling her, was patient with him and this guy seemed to like her whole package - for once in her dating life - so she had serious hopes for their future together.  And now she has no clue what went wrong between date 1 and date 2 and she ain't likely to ever know.  Now, I would call the guy and throw his lies and ambivalency in his face and see what he has to say for himself, but my friend is extremely non-confrontational, so that's not going to happen.

Just some reasons I gave up on dating and I'm happy that it's just me and my cats.  :P 

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 10:23:31 pm »
I agree with you delalluvia! Intimate relationships can be complicated and stressful.  I've been divorced twice, and I am not planning on tying the knot again.  I am very happy living here with just my 3 dogs and 2 cats!  I usually spend about $70-$80 on groceries per week, depending on what I'm out of that week.  Sometimes I do go over $100.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2009, 09:00:32 am »
Hi Dobie! How's the new job going?

At first when I got divorced after 20 years, I really did want to get married again. I dated and even got engaged once, and asked a couple of times. Thank goodness I had the wits about me not to go ahead with that. LOL.

Now that I've been divorced for so long, I have become very content with my life as it is. My pets and I don't have to conform to anyone else's ideals.  ;D  (One man I dated for over a year told me I needed to get rid of all but one dog---I got rid of him instead.)

Sometimes it would be nice to have a guy to go out with--to a movie or dinner, but it's not a must.  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 09:36:37 pm »
Hi Shasta!  The job is going as well as can be expected I suppose.  I'd rather win the lottery and not have to work at all, but believe me, I'm very happy I have a job at all, after spending those 3 months out of work.  I'm still struggling, since I had to take a large pay cut to get the job, but I'm doing the best I can, trying to keep me and my pets healthy with what I've got.
Twenty years is a long time to be married Shasta.  I was married for 4 years the first time and 10 years the second time.  I hear you when you say you're content with your life as it is.  I'm the same way.  I'm like you in another way - I would not give up my animals for anyone either!  They're my family, my companions, my protection, my comfort, and  they keep me happy & healthy!   

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2009, 10:40:40 pm »
I'd rather win the lottery and not have to work at all...

LOL. Ditto!!

Did you know that I have a kitten now? A little calico--got her about 5 weeks ago. She's such a little character. And she sleeps right beside me under the cover like a dog. I love her.  :D 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2009, 10:22:29 pm »
No I didn't know you have a calico kitten now, Shasta.  I bet she's adorable.  Both my cats are 13 years old.  One is all black with a white splotch under his chin and the other is mostly black with 4 white paws and white chest.  What's your kitten's name? 

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2010, 11:08:27 pm »
Well, since probably the end of November, I've had a personal ad up on a site for gay men.  You can put yourself up without a purpose, or you can specifiy you are there for "chat", for "sex" for "friends" or for "love".

I've put myself down for love.  I want to meet guys to date, and see if something develops. 

I wasn't sure what to expect, as I've had ads up on other sites before, and never got much of a response.

Imagine my surprise when within the first few days, I had between 8-10 responses.  I'm now in the process of trying to weed through these guys.

I thought I had a hit with the first guy I met.   We met at a local diner, and I thought we hit it off.  Conversation lasted for 2 hours, and I thought he was funny, smart and cute.  I sent him a message to talk to him again, and he never replied.

Set up another date with a guy who canceled one hour before we were to meet.

got friendly with a 3rd guy, we talked A LOT over the computer.  Wanted to talk on the phone.  He was a sad-sack and a whiner.

The next guy wanted to meet just after new year's.  We got some food and went to a movie.  There was chemistry over the 'net.  I felt nothing when I was with him in person.  I believe he felt the same, as we have talked since then, but neither of us have mentioned getting together again.

two other guys want to meet next week.  They are aged 55 & 61.  I told them I would be willing to meet AS FRIENDS.  I think they are both lonely.  If they try to turn this into a romantic thing, I'll cut them off quickly.

And the search continues......

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 05:35:47 am »
Well, I met Cal on myspace so don't give up hope Chuck!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 11:13:03 am »

two other guys want to meet next week.  They are aged 55 & 61.  I told them I would be willing to meet AS FRIENDS.  I think they are both lonely.  If they try to turn this into a romantic thing, I'll cut them off quickly.

Why is that, Chuck? Could you elaborate?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:18 am »
Why is that, Chuck? Could you elaborate?

The 55 year old, he and I don't have much in common.  Like to do different things, like different styles of music, differnet lifestyles.

The 61 year old, I'm not attracted to him.  On top of that, I know I would have a difficult time with the age difference.  He's 20 years older than me, and only 9 years younger than my dad.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:24 am »
Do you not have the option for an age range in your dating profile?

My sister kept getting hit with very very young men who she didn't want.  Otherwise, your experience sounds about right, Chuck.  :P

Most people I know who do such dating have similar experiences.  A friend had great chemistry and communication via internet with this guy and he was anxious to meet her.  She finally met him and he spent the date ignoring her.

This other guy in Houston kept up a vigorous communication with my sister, until she sent him a picture and he dropped out of sight within a day.

You got to have thick skin and a lot of patience.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »
This is probably only marginally relevant, but I don't feel single anymore. After about fifteen years of casual dating and not even looking for a real partner, the mindset was that I found love once - so what were the chances?  Besides, I work very well on my own.

Now that has changed. I love my ex-husband dearly, but I never knew things could be as good as they are now. Frankly, I'm scared spitless that I will mess this up.

I find I'm consulting him before Brokie trips - not for permission, but just because I want him with me if possible.

This is the first time ever I can envision growing old with someone. Not anytime soon of course.  ;)

I don't know what my point is, except that everything has changed and I am thrown by it. I'm not sure I know how to be part of a couple anymore logistically, except of course the basics - mutual respect and love and consideration.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2010, 12:57:08 pm »
And the search continues......

Like your attitude! :)

Here are some more to try:

Even if they don't turn out to be a prince, at least they're yummy. And one never knows ....

;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »
This is probably only marginally relevant, but I don't feel single anymore. After about fifteen years of casual dating and not even looking for a real partner, the mindset being that I found love once, so what are the chances? Besides, I work very well on my own.

Now that has changed. I love my ex husband dearly, but I never knew things could be this good. Frankly, I'm scared spitless that I will mess this up.
I find I'm consulting him before Brokie trips - not for permission, but just because I want him with me.

This is the first time ever I can envision growing old with someone. Not anytime soon of course.

I don't know what my point is, except that everything has changed and I am thrown by it. I'm not sure I know how to be part of a couple anymore logistically, except of course the basics - mutual respect and love and consideration.

You and your ex-husband ....... ?

You happy?
I hope so!
 :-*

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 01:34:10 pm »

You and your ex-husband ....... ?

You happy?
I hope so!
 :-*

I'm sorry, Chrissi - I wasn't clear - which is what happens when I try to make long posts from my phone.

No, my ex-husband is happily remarried, a father, and living in the SF Bay area.  We had a great marriage and we're still on good terms, friendly.

It's impossible not to compare this new relationship to the old one, although I realize it's not completely fair- that was a different time and place and circumstance - but on so many ways it is better.  I have never felt this chrerished, loved, adored even, protected.  And yes, I've never been happier.

The big BUT tho is that many of the issues involved in my divorce remain unresolved - primarily my commitments to my family of origin.  I'm scared that history might repeat itself.  I hope I'm older and wiser.  And my new guy didn't come from Greenwich, Connecticut and the luxury and wealth that comes with that...we are better matched socio-economically.  He's from an immigrant family with a solid work ethic - and he and most of his siblings are brilliant and successful. 
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:12 pm »
This is probably only marginally relevant, but I don't feel single anymore. After about fifteen years of casual dating and not even looking for a real partner, the mindset was that I found love once - so what were the chances?  Besides, I work very well on my own.

Now that has changed. ...
I find I'm consulting him before Brokie trips - not for permission, but just because I want him with me if possible.

This is the first time ever I can envision growing old with someone. Not anytime soon of course.  ;)

Yee-haw, friend!!  :D :D :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:20 pm »
Yee-haw, friend!!  :D :D :D

Thanks, Lee.   :-* :-* :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2010, 01:45:57 pm »
I'm sorry, Chrissi - I wasn't clear - which is what happens when I try to make long posts from my phone.

No, my ex-husband is happily remarried, a father, and living in the SF Bay area.  We had a great marriage and we're still on good terms, friendly.

It's impossible not to compare this new relationship to the old one, although I realize it's not completely fair- that was a different time and place and circumstance - but on so many ways it is better. 

Ah, now it sounds clearer (and better, to be honest - I mean new guy sounds better than rewarming what has already broken)

I have never felt this chrerished, loved, adored even, protected.  And yes, I've never been happier.

Now this sounds really good! :D I second Lee's Yee-Haw!

The big BUT tho is that many of the issues involved in my divorce remain unresolved - primarily my commitments to my family of origin.  I'm scared that history might repeat itself.  I hope I'm older and wiser.  And my new guy didn't come from Greenwich, Connecticut and the luxury and wealth that comes with that...we are better matched socio-economically.  He's from an immigrant family with a solid work ethic - and he and most of his siblings are brilliant and successful. 

Still lots of work, eh? But we humans are all working on our issues, evolving and growing all our life. At least that's how it should be.
Don't be too hard on yourself.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »
Do you not have the option for an age range in your dating profile?

Most people I know who do such dating have similar experiences.  A friend had great chemistry and communication via internet with this guy and he was anxious to meet her.  She finally met him and he spent the date ignoring her.

This other guy in Houston kept up a vigorous communication with my sister, until she sent him a picture and he dropped out of sight within a day.

You got to have thick skin and a lot of patience.
If the Internet had been around when I met my husband, I'm sure I would have rejected him. Younger than me, he worked in the alcohol business and smoked. Three strikes against him. However, him being younger didn't make a difference in our marriage, because I have a younger outlook than most women my age. He diversified out of the alcohol business, and he stopped smoking before we married at my request. The Internet puts up artificial barriers. These stories also show that the converse is true. Oftentimes, people who fit in your formula just don't click, they don't have that certain unnameable something, that chemistry.

Then, there's the concept that Annie Proulx explored in our favorite story. Jack and Ennis came together on paper before they met in person. Their meeting was less than ideal, hardly a word was spoken. Based on the first ten minutes of the film, what chances would you have given their relationship to succeed, much less blossom into a mating for life? But it did. I think Annie Proulx's premise was that the enforced relationship on the mountain where neither one could leave worked magic. It made them get to know each other and FIND the hidden chemistry. I think it also caused each one of them to change so that they complemented each other, balanced each other. That's why she had them change roles.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2010, 03:09:02 pm »
The Internet puts up artificial barriers. These stories also show that the converse is true. Oftentimes, people who fit in your formula just don't click, they don't have that certain unnameable something, that chemistry.

These are very wise words.  :)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »
If the Internet had been around when I met my husband, I'm sure I would have rejected him. Younger than me, he worked in the alcohol business and smoked. Three strikes against him. However, him being younger didn't make a difference in our marriage, because I have a younger outlook than most women my age. He diversified out of the alcohol business, and he stopped smoking before we married at my request. The Internet puts up artificial barriers. These stories also show that the converse is true. Oftentimes, people who fit in your formula just don't click, they don't have that certain unnameable something, that chemistry.

Then, there's the concept that Annie Proulx explored in our favorite story. Jack and Ennis came together on paper before they met in person. Their meeting was less than ideal, hardly a word was spoken. Based on the first ten minutes of the film, what chances would you have given their relationship to succeed, much less blossom into a mating for life? But it did. I think Annie Proulx's premise was that the enforced relationship on the mountain where neither one could leave worked magic. It made them get to know each other and FIND the hidden chemistry. I think it also caused each one of them to change so that they complemented each other, balanced each other. That's why she had them change roles.

Yeah, but he has to narrow the field down somehow.  Stats show that people in successful long term relationships come from similar backgrounds, similar age ranges, similar economic situations. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:37 pm »

Now that has changed. I love my ex-husband dearly, but I never knew things could be as good as they are now. Frankly, I'm scared spitless that I will mess this up.

Im doing a happy dance for you Lynne!!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »
Im doing a happy dance for you Lynne!!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Thank you, Kelda!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 01:37:31 am »
Had a meeting with another guy from the dating website.

and the search continues..... :laugh: