Author Topic: The continuing shame of circuses  (Read 2013 times)

moremojo

The continuing shame of circuses
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:48:37 pm »
Just came across the following story on Truthout:

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/091207J.shtml

These stories really sadden me. Elephants are such intelligent, complex animals; they do not belong in circuses, and it is a continuing mark of shame for circuses that they are still used (and abused) in these venues.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The continuing shame of circuses
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:17:30 pm »
I HATE circuses! They exploit people with various afflictions, they torture animals, and the clowns are scary. I hate clowns.

And now some of the elephants may be carrying tuberculosis. Hopefully the days of circuses are coming to an end. It's a very cruel and evil industry.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:26:56 pm »
I'm not opposed to circuses per se. I think Cirque du Soleil, for example, is a wonderfully exemplary model for how a circus-like show can provide great, colorful entertainment without being in the least exploitative of either people or non-human animals.

I'm not even necessarily opposed to the employment of animals within circuses, assuming that they truly receive humane and enlightened treatment. But elephants, so very intelligent and as emotionally nuanced as human beings, should never have been used in this kind of context.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:29:13 pm »
I hate to see any animal abused and unhappy  :'( that article breaks my heart Scott
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:56:57 pm »
I missed this thread but it deserves a "bump" I will not look at the article. I'll get too upset

Wild animals are not here for our entertainment. They deserve to live freely as they were born to. Dogs and cats have been domesticated for probably thousands of years. Dogs more so I think. I also hate people who want to keep exotic or wild cats. If you want to live with a wild cat, go to the humane society and get a "domesticated" one. I can feel the wild spirit in my cats. They really are mini wild cats. My little wild animals agree to live with me.  :)