Author Topic: Those Whacky Cockneys  (Read 3297 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Those Whacky Cockneys
« on: September 13, 2007, 08:46:46 am »
This morning at my office in southwest Britain, my colleague tells me he is going to make a call to a septic.

And I asked "What are you talking about?" with a mischievous grin he said "Don't you know what a septic is?"  and with complete bafflement I told him I didn't, and then he explained, "oh, well this is Cockney rhyming slang.  Don't you know that?"

This is how it works.

Septic refers to a septic TANK which rhymes with YANK and a YANK is an American.

He explained a few more of of the common ones to round out my education, which, according to Nigel my colleague, both terms in the rhyme are typically not used, only the non rhyming word of the pair, which implies, when spoken, the word that is supposed to be rhymed to.  I just found it bizarre and confusing.

Plates:  means Plates of MEAT which rhymes with FEET and it means:  FEET.

Frog:  means Frog and Toad which rhymes with ROAD and it means:  ROAD.

Apples: means Apples and Pears which rhymes with STAIRS and it means:  STAIRS.

Anyone else ever hear of this?  Is this the whackiest thing you have ever heard or WHAT?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Those Whacky Cockneys
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:50 am »
Once I finish talking to the septic, I am going to take my plates and hit the frog.

All I can think is, Kermit! Watch out!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:01:58 pm »
There's a Cockney rhyming slang thread here on Bettermost.  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,11415.0.html

But yeah, to my yank ears it's a bit puzzling.  To be able to "get" these on the fly in conversation would take some hellacious practice . . .

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 01:16:18 pm »
I think I remember hearing or reading somewhere that one's trouble and strife is one's ... wife.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:06:54 pm »
I think I remember hearing or reading somewhere that one's trouble and strife is one's ... wife.  ;D

That is quite correct Jeff. What would be wrong with you if you had a "dodgy strawberry"?  ;)
What would you be doing if you were having a " dig in the grave" and what would you be doing if you were "brushing your railings"?
Answers on a postcard please. ;) ;D :laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 03:23:32 pm »
That is quite correct Jeff. What would be wrong with you if you had a "dodgy strawberry"?  ;)
What would you be doing if you were having a " dig in the grave" and what would you be doing if you were "brushing your railings"?
Answers on a postcard please. ;) ;D :laugh:

I was watching the movie "To Sir With Love" with Sidney Poitier the other day, and one of the kids in the movie did this. He said somebody's house was "just up the frog". Sidney Poitier asked him what he meant by that, and he explained that Road rhymes with Toad, and Toad = Frog. Sidney give the young man a very confused look, so I don't think he quite understood the boy's explanation. But TSWL was made in 1967, so apparently this is something they have been doing in England for years.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:25 pm »
I was watching the movie "To Sir With Love" with Sidney Poitier the other day, and one of the kids in the movie did this. He said somebody's house was "just up the frog". Sidney Poitier asked him what he meant by that, and he explained that Road rhymes with Toad, and Toad = Frog. Sidney give the young man a very confused look, so I don't think he quite understood the boy's explanation. But TSWL was made in 1967, so apparently this is something they have been doing in England for years.  :)

Probably the Cockneys have been doing it for centuries.

I also think I remember reading that to be a true Cockney, you have to have been born within the sound of the bells of the church of St. Mary-le-Bow, but don't ask me where I might have read that!

And I wonder whether anybody has ever elucidated the origin of the word Cockney itself?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 05:13:05 pm »
A cockney might compliment a woman on the beauty of her bristols. Bristol = Bristol City = titty.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »
*bump*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."