Author Topic: Sally Field's censored (?) Emmy speech  (Read 4971 times)

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
Sally Field's censored (?) Emmy speech
« on: September 16, 2007, 10:46:44 pm »
I happened to have the Emmy's on in the background tonight.  Seemed like she got cut off as she went to say something about mothers ruling the world, and perhaps, the war?

Anyone know what she said?  Was she censored intentionally?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

injest

Re: Sally Field's censored (?) Emmy speech
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 10:56:47 pm »
I happened to have the Emmy's on in the background tonight.  Seemed like she got cut off as she went to say something about mothers ruling the world, and perhaps, the war?

Anyone know what she said?  Was she censored intentionally?

I noticed that too....They had already started the music urging her off when she yelled and they went back to her and she uhed and uhed ...said she had forgotten what she was fixing to say...then started talking about moms and then was cut off.

so was she cut off because of what she said or because she was going too long?

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:01:07 pm »
I thought it was because of what she said, because there was a long pause before any sound returned and they showed her walking off the stage....

I thought she may have been about to say "if mothers ruled the world there would be no g*d d**n war...."

But I am only guessing.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:29:55 pm »
Here's the way I saw the incident... It was sort of confusing so it's hard to tell exactly what went on.

But, it seemed to me that she concluded the main part of her speech by talking about honoring mothers who are waiting for their children to come home from "harm's way and from war."  Then the music started to play.  She then said please stop and that she had more that she wanted to say.  But the music kept playing (of course) and she got flustered and said she forgot what she wanted to say.  And then she did seem to get angry and I really did think they cut away from her deliberately perhaps because she was either making too much of a political statement for the taste of the producers or because she was swearing (or maybe both).

The end result was that it was awkward and odd.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 09:36:46 am »
Poor Sally Field just doesn't have good luck with prize acceptance speeches.

Somewhere recently I was reading that her infamous "You like me! You really like me!" was actually a reference to something said by her character, Norma Rae, the role for which she won the Oscar. But it went down in history as just her sounding silly.

She probably wishes she'll never win another prize!  :-\

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:33:23 pm »
This website says she was cut off on purpose. It also has the YouTube of her speech.

http://www.imnotobsessed.com/2007/09/17/sally-fields-war-speech-gets-bleeped/

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 12:36:51 pm »
And from Towleroad:

Sally field came to the Emmys with a prepared acceptance speech which she awkwardly forgot halfway through. That didn't matter much, however, as Emmy producers decided to censor her comments anyway.

Said Field: "Surely this [award] belongs to all the mothers of the world. May they be seen, may their work be valued and raised. Especially to the mothers who stand with an open heart and wait. Wait for their children to come home from danger, from harm’s way, and from war. I am proud to be one of those women. If mothers ruled the world, there would be no — (censored).

What Field said was, "If mothers ruled the world, there would be no God-damned wars in the first place."

Field said later, after learning she had been bleeped: "Oh, well. I've been there before! Good. I don't care. I have no comment other than, 'Oh, well.' I said what I wanted to say. I wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. And I very, very seriously think that if mothers ruled the world we wouldn't be sending our children off to be slaughtered." She added: "I would have liked to have said more four-letter words up there!"

It's not clear whether FOX was upset over the blasphemy or the anti-war remarks, but given their announcement that they would censor of Kathy Griffin's "Jesus" comment last week as well as the network's political bias, it seems likely they were irked by both.

Tom O'Neil of the L.A. Times notes: "Technically, Field's censored words are not profane. A 2004 FCC ruling specifically stated no objection to the use of "god damn" on TV when making a judgment on the uproar over Bono swearing at the Golden Globes in 2003 where he used more colorful language."
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:26:25 pm »
It's not clear whether FOX was upset over the blasphemy or the anti-war remarks, but given their announcement that they would censor of Kathy Griffin's "Jesus" comment last week as well as the network's political bias, it seems likely they were irked by both.

Tom O'Neil of the L.A. Times notes: "Technically, Field's censored words are not profane. A 2004 FCC ruling specifically stated no objection to the use of "god damn" on TV when making a judgment on the uproar over Bono swearing at the Golden Globes in 2003 where he used more colorful language."

Thanks Leslie for giving the link and sharing this.

:o
Blasphemy?  A simple "goddamn" is taken so seriously that you are contemplating it might be the reason she had been cut off (apart from the war statement)?  :o

Oh, well.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 03:51:19 pm »
Thanks Leslie for giving the link and sharing this.

:o
Blasphemy?  A simple "goddamn" is taken so seriously that you are contemplating it might be the reason she had been cut off (apart from the war statement)?  :o

Oh, well.

Well, I think the fact that this incident happened on a Fox network is one reason to be suspicious about the motivations behind the censorship.

:-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »
Fox News is whacked. I think everyone at FN probably drinks a nice hot steamy cup of jet fuel before they show up to work each morning.

"Fair and Balanced" my sweet ass!  >:(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.