Author Topic: Favorite movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 90's?  (Read 11505 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Favorite movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 90's?
« on: September 18, 2007, 02:16:03 am »
These 10 films each won Best Picture during the 1990's.  Of this List which is your favorite.  Cast your vote and if you'd like tell us what it is you like so much about the film of your choice.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Favorite movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 90's?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 10:45:29 am »
Good idea for a thread, Dottie!

It's interesting to see how many of these movies Ihave come to dislike or didn't like in the first place.

Dances with Wolves -- liked at the time but not sure I would now.
The Silence of the Lambs -- saw under duress -- I hate the subject matter -- and always considered overrated.
Unforgiven -- liked!!
Schindler's List -- this was my vote. "Liked" doesn't seem the right word, but it is powerful and a classic.
Forrest Gump -- disliked it when I saw it.
Braveheart -- didn't see it and now never would because of Mel Gibson factor.
The English Patient -- thought it was OK but overrated.
Titanic -- ehhh ... watchable but sentimentalized and kind of silly.
Shakespeare in Love -- loved at the time but saw it again recently and was less impressed.
American Beauty -- liked a lot at the time; now, who knows!?

Sorry, those of you who liked the movies I dissed.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 04:50:04 pm by ineedcrayons »

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:59:01 pm »
I voted for Forest Gump.  I liked the way it spanned such a huge period of time and fit the character into all the breaking news of the day.  It is reminiscent of and yet quite different from another film I enjoyed The World According to Garp.

Dances with Wolves --  like it very much
The Silence of the Lambs -- Chilling
Unforgiven -- liked it very much
Schindler's List -- probably the best film on the Holocaust IMO
Forrest Gump -- my vote
Braveheart -- Too long, Too Mel Gibson being Mel Gibson for the self promotion of Mel Gibson.
The English Patient -- Very boring IMO and I found the characters unsympathetic
Titanic -- ehhh ... fun fluffy romantisized version of a tragedy but it works on it's own
Shakespeare in Love -- OK but not a great film
American Beauty -- I just don't understand what people see in this film.

You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:59:51 pm »
Hey  ;D  I like the way you guys did this.  

Dances with Wolves --  Liked it but it's so long ;)
The Silence of the Lambs -- Liked it :)
Unforgiven -- Liked it  :)
Schindler's List -- My Vote, excellent film on so many levels ;D
Forrest Gump -- Liked it :)
Braveheart -- Waste of time :-\
The English Patient -- Overrated ::)
Titanic -- ehhh ... Liked it, very entertaining :D
Shakespeare in Love -- Probably my least favorite on this list of the films I liked  ;)
American Beauty -- Actively disliked it :-X

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:36 am »
The English Patient -- Simply loved it. And cried so hard when he had to leave her in the cave.

Has anybody here read the book? There is a scene in it of strongly implied (not graphic) necrophilia. Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the book overall, but when I read that scene, I had to hand it to Michael Ondaatje. I thought, "Wow! I've read books about a lot of things but THERE'S a subject I haven't seen handled before!" And he managed to make it romantic and touching, too.

The movie, unfortunately, chickened out and did not depict that, even implicitly (as I remember, anyway ???).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:56:05 am »
Has anybody here read the book? There is a scene in it of strongly implied (not graphic) necrophilia. Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the book overall, but when I read that scene, I had to hand it to Michael Ondaatje. I thought, "Wow! I've read books about a lot of things but THERE'S a subject I haven't seen handled before!" And he managed to make it romantic and touching, too.

The movie, unfortunately, chickened out and did not depict that, even implicitly (as I remember, anyway ???).

I read the book. Liked it far more than the movie. I only saw the movie for Kristin Scott Thomas (another truly beau-ti-ful woman). I liked the writing style of the book. I remember said scene, but I don't have the book at hand right now. If memory serves, it was pretty clear what happened. My reaction was both, eeew and wow.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 07:24:11 am »
Dances with Wolves --  liked it a lot then. Now: It has a tad too much of everything
The Silence of the Lambs -- loved it. Still do. So thrilling, plus Jodie Foster!
Unforgiven -- haven't seen it
Schindler's List -- my vote. A must see
Forrest Gump -- left me unimpressed the first time. Liked it more the second time.
Braveheart -- absolutely a no-go. I didn't even like it back then, when I thought Mel Gibson was the hottest thing on this planet (and yes, he was hot back in those Lethal Weapon movies). Today he only makes me eew
The English Patient -- boring
Titanic -- popcorn movie. Entertaining the first time, but the corniness is hard to stand.
Shakespeare in Love -- I saw only the first half and didn't like it
American Beauty -- Thank you Petitfogger: I just don't understand what people see in this film.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:47:44 am »

My favorite was difficult.  Schindlers List.  For all the obvious reasons a masterpiece
        Very close second was Unforgiven.  This movie was also a masterpiece.  Single handedly
                                                          brought back what was a dying breed..the western/

Silence of the lambs,...Jodie Foster and others, but not my cup o
         Forrest gump.. Tom Hanks, Sally Field,, too gimicky and long for me but ok
         Braveheart....tooooo long.  three scenes, made into a novel...........
         Titanic....i loved it...the story was sappy yes and all that...but visually it was worth it...a feast
                      for the eyes.
          Shakespeare in love....love him she gets on my nerves....I may be one of the few people
                                         cant stand her....so the movie would have been better with
                                          someone else.
           The English patient...bored me
            American Beauty,    Kevin Spacey the only thing to make this worth seeing...uhhhh
            Dances with Wolves.... Enjoy this a lot, but lots of starts and stops....a bit long....
                                             But acting and cinematograhy is wonderful...

Beautiful mind

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:55:31 am »
It's interesting to see how my tastes have changed.  Most of these were good enough at the time, but not enduring.  I'm trying to use 'Would I watch it again?' as a yardstick.

Schindler's List is my vote - powerful stuff and should be required viewing.  I remember liking American Beauty a lot too - artistic and worthy of a second viewing, IMO.  I've seen Silence of the Lambs multiple times - Jodie Foster.  I had nightmares for a couple of weeks after Braveheart and you'd have to tie me up to make me sit thru that one again.  I didn't finish Unforgiven but I can't remember what bothered me about it.  Judging from everyone else's opinions, I think I need to give it another shot.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 10:03:43 am »
Susie, I loved SIL the first time I saw it. I wasn't as thrilled with it the second time, but maybe because I'd built it up too much in my memory. It was cute and fun and clever, though.

As for TEP ... well, here again, it was a reaction to hype. I probably would have liked it OK on its own, but it got SOOO overpraised.

Usually I like British things! (In fact, OT but I'm often amazed -- how can so much great classic enduring literature, not to mention film and music, have come out of one medium-sized country?)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:21:16 pm »
Nice poll, Dot!

I'm with you, Lynne, since BBM, the litmus test is "would I want to see this again?"

Dances with Wolves Liked it, didn't love it

The Silence of the Lambs Stands the test of time and repeated viewings.  Very powerful and subtle performances to convey horror without any gore whatsoever.

Unforgiven Didn't see it; wasn't interested in westerns then. :)

Schindler's List I've been afraid to see this one.  Should see it.

Forrest Gump Gimmicky and a little annoying.

Braveheart Not a chance.

The English Patient Mixed on this.  Probably because I was on a (bad) date at the time.  Not a date movie.  :-\

Titanic Pablum. Treacle.  'Nuff said.

Shakespeare in Love  Great fun.  Love Tom Stoppard.  

American Beauty Lost on me.  

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:09 pm »
I appear to be in the majority!  While very very painful to watch, Schindler's List was a masterpiece, and Liam Neeson fit the role like a glove!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:06 pm »
I voted for AMERICAN BEAUTY.  Great acting on the part of Spacey and Annette Bening as Carolyn Burnham .  I liked the storyline as well, it seemed to be "what's it all about," I mean we go to work, buy alot of material goods and we are suppose to be happy.  However, in doing so with so much gusto, we miss the little things.  "LOOK CLOSER" was a great tagline for this film.   I like films set in suburbia, VIRGIN SUICIDES, MAGNOLIA, ICE STORM, so American Beauty is certainly right up there.

I liked SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE as well. 

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS I've never seen and don't plan to.

I liked BRAVEHEAT the first time I saw it. A reflux of Spartacus, in my opinion.  But I have a thing for historical epics.

SCHINDLER'S LIST is a very powerful film. 

TITANIC was a blockbuster but more so.  I certainly read enough books about Titanic after seeing the film.

I found THE ENGLISH PATIENT incredibly boring!

UNFORGIVEN,  fine at the time, never wanted to see it again.

FOREST GUMP, that won best picture?!   :o

DANCES WITH WOLVES.  Never saw it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:49:38 pm by Kd5000 »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 01:59:46 am »

Dances with Wolves - Liked it until I heard that Kevin Costner had thrown a tantrum about his rear nude scene  and had insisted on a bum-double stand-in! Took the gloss off the film for me!

The Silence of the Lambs - Loved it, especially the ending. It gets my vote!   

Unforgiven - Haven't seen it.

Schindler's List - Tried reading the book before the film was released but didn't finish it. Found it very depressing, so didn't see the film.

Forrest Gump - I had to be dragged to see it, kicking and screaming! (I had seen so much publicity, with him saying over and over and over again, "Hear-looooo, ahm four-ist gooomp" - cringe!) Ended up loving it!

Braveheart - Haven't seen it. Hate Mel Gibson!

The English Patient - Haven't seen it.

Titanic - Can't stand Leonardo, so refused to see it at the cinema! Ended-up loving it, when I saw it years later on television. Particularly loved the plot-line about the old lady and the (was it a) necklace? I tried to ignore Leonardo every time he appeared on screen, which was difficult, 'cause he's practically in every bloody frame!  I thought the casting was appalling. The lead female was played by a beautiful young woman (? Kate Winslett?) and it looked like she was (disturbingly) getting it on with a pre-pubescent school boy (Leonardo).

Shakespeare in Love - Haven't seen it.

American Beauty   - Haven't seen it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 12:32:57 pm »
Dances with Wolves - Liked it until I heard that Kevin Costner had thrown a tantrum about his rear nude scene  and had insisted on a bum-double stand-in!

Hunh, I hadn't heard that one! Who did he throw a tantrum to? He was the director -- wouldn't he be the one in charge of those kinds of decisions anyway?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:04 am »
Titanic is one of my very favorite movies of all time! I love that movie. I have the DVD and I sometimes pull it out and watch it.

Dances With Wolves was a movie I was naturally drawn to since I am Native American; specifically Oglala Lakota Sioux which is the tribe portrayed in the movie. This movie was a very good first attempt at portraying Native Americans in a positive light. So many films before it featured Native Americans as beggars, thieves, drunkards and warmongers. I have only seen DWW a total of 5 times, and I haven't watched it in years. I suppose I did this to keep from becoming burned out on the movie. The film does have some historical inaccuracies, but I was willing to overlook them. Having said that, it was a good movie and a good first attempt. I hope there will be more movies like this in the furture.

The English Patient. Sorry Susie. I found this movie incredibly boring. Maybe I should see it again?

Silence of the Lambs. A totally disgusting, appalling, and bone chilling movie. I didn't like it. It left me with an awful feeling. I LOVE Jodie Foster though.

Unforgiven. I haven't seen this movie.

Schindler's List. This was an excellent movie. Very dark and disturbing though.

Forrest Gump. I had to watch this movie several times before I "got it".  It is quite funny now though.

Braveheart. Another totally boring movie. That was years ago. Maybe I should watch it again.

Shakespeare in Love. I love Shakespeare so naturally I enjoyed this movie.

American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:10:44 am »
American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

I vote yes, David...give it a shot.  Tell you what, you watch AMERICAN BEAUTY and I'll watch UNFORGIVEN and we can report back.  :D

Titanic - Can't stand Leonardo...

Kerry - can you elaborate a bit on why you don't like Leonardo??  Depending on your reasons, you might consider giving him another shot.  I thought he did good work in both THE DEPARTED and BLOOD DIAMOND recently...

I'm with you, Lynne, since BBM, the litmus test is "would I want to see this again?"

Yep, a whole new set of standards!  :-* :-* :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 03:13:45 am »
*SNIP
Unforgiven. I haven't seen this movie.

*SNIP
American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about i

I would recommend you should see both these films David.  Unforgiven because it is one of the best of the few westerns of the modern era and American Beauty because it is one of those films that strikes a chord in people.  No one walks away unaffected, in fact, it seems to me folks either love it or they hate it no middle ground .

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 09:55:29 am »
Kerry - can you elaborate a bit on why you don't like Leonardo??  Depending on your reasons, you might consider giving him another shot.  I thought he did good work in both THE DEPARTED and BLOOD DIAMOND recently...

I agree, Lynne. I loved Leonardo in the first few movies I saw him in, particularly What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was amazing! Then in Titanic I thought he was fine, but not that special. Same with The Aviator and Catch Me if You Can -- he was decent, but no longer blew me away. And I saw him in some things where I didn't think he was very good at all, such as Gangs of New York.

But then came The Departed, where intense Leo stole the movie from hammy Jack Nicholson (and even to some extent from low-key Matt Damon, though he was very good, too). And I thought he was excellent in Blood Diamond, also. So now he's back to being one of my favorite actors.

I told a friend, "I go up and down on Leonardo." She replied, "Yeah, you wish!"  :laugh:  But actually, I don't find him all that hot. I just think he's a great actor (or can be, anyway).

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 10:04:44 am »
I agree, Lynne. I loved Leonardo in the first few movies I saw him in, particularly What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was amazing! ...

How could I have forgotten GILBERT GRAPE?!?!!! DiCaprio AND Johnny Depp!  So much talent there - Thanks, crayons!  ;)

I told a friend, "I go up and down on Leonardo." She replied, "Yeah, you wish!"  :laugh:  ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think there was violence early on in UNFORGIVEN that made it unwatchable for me, but like I said, I'm willing to try again.  I think I'll work on coming up with my top ten favorites today while at work today.  Gotta run.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:00 pm »
Speaking of Leo, did any of you see The Basketball Diaries? It's one of Leo's earlier movies and it is very good. It is very dark and disturbing, but he did a wonderful job.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112461/

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2007, 12:46:39 am »

Just a matter of taste and preference I guess, Lynne. 

Why is one ever drawn to some people and not to others? Who knows? Can there ever be a rational answer to that? We've all met someone who has been absolutely charming and for some unknown reason, we just don't warm to them. Something inside makes us cringe, whenever they come near.

I'm sure it's just me. After all, my preferences wouldn't exactly suit everyone! For example, I was rabbiting on at another thread about how hot I thought Vladimir Putin was! I was put well and truly in my place in no uncertain terms by a couple of respondents who did not agree with me!

And I go all weak at the knees whenever I think of Christopher Meloni!  Not everyone would agree with me there either.

You're right, Lynne, I should give Leonardo another shot. I'll try.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 01:02:32 pm »
And I go all weak at the knees whenever I think of Christopher Meloni!  Not everyone would agree with me there either.

Yes, the world is a much more exciting place because of diversity.   :D

That said, tho, I'll join you on the Christopher Meloni bandwagon. :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."