Author Topic: Favorite movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 90's?  (Read 11504 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Favorite movie to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 90's?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 05:21:16 pm »
Nice poll, Dot!

I'm with you, Lynne, since BBM, the litmus test is "would I want to see this again?"

Dances with Wolves Liked it, didn't love it

The Silence of the Lambs Stands the test of time and repeated viewings.  Very powerful and subtle performances to convey horror without any gore whatsoever.

Unforgiven Didn't see it; wasn't interested in westerns then. :)

Schindler's List I've been afraid to see this one.  Should see it.

Forrest Gump Gimmicky and a little annoying.

Braveheart Not a chance.

The English Patient Mixed on this.  Probably because I was on a (bad) date at the time.  Not a date movie.  :-\

Titanic Pablum. Treacle.  'Nuff said.

Shakespeare in Love  Great fun.  Love Tom Stoppard.  

American Beauty Lost on me.  

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:40:09 pm »
I appear to be in the majority!  While very very painful to watch, Schindler's List was a masterpiece, and Liam Neeson fit the role like a glove!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 05:46:06 pm »
I voted for AMERICAN BEAUTY.  Great acting on the part of Spacey and Annette Bening as Carolyn Burnham .  I liked the storyline as well, it seemed to be "what's it all about," I mean we go to work, buy alot of material goods and we are suppose to be happy.  However, in doing so with so much gusto, we miss the little things.  "LOOK CLOSER" was a great tagline for this film.   I like films set in suburbia, VIRGIN SUICIDES, MAGNOLIA, ICE STORM, so American Beauty is certainly right up there.

I liked SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE as well. 

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS I've never seen and don't plan to.

I liked BRAVEHEAT the first time I saw it. A reflux of Spartacus, in my opinion.  But I have a thing for historical epics.

SCHINDLER'S LIST is a very powerful film. 

TITANIC was a blockbuster but more so.  I certainly read enough books about Titanic after seeing the film.

I found THE ENGLISH PATIENT incredibly boring!

UNFORGIVEN,  fine at the time, never wanted to see it again.

FOREST GUMP, that won best picture?!   :o

DANCES WITH WOLVES.  Never saw it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:49:38 pm by Kd5000 »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 01:59:46 am »

Dances with Wolves - Liked it until I heard that Kevin Costner had thrown a tantrum about his rear nude scene  and had insisted on a bum-double stand-in! Took the gloss off the film for me!

The Silence of the Lambs - Loved it, especially the ending. It gets my vote!   

Unforgiven - Haven't seen it.

Schindler's List - Tried reading the book before the film was released but didn't finish it. Found it very depressing, so didn't see the film.

Forrest Gump - I had to be dragged to see it, kicking and screaming! (I had seen so much publicity, with him saying over and over and over again, "Hear-looooo, ahm four-ist gooomp" - cringe!) Ended up loving it!

Braveheart - Haven't seen it. Hate Mel Gibson!

The English Patient - Haven't seen it.

Titanic - Can't stand Leonardo, so refused to see it at the cinema! Ended-up loving it, when I saw it years later on television. Particularly loved the plot-line about the old lady and the (was it a) necklace? I tried to ignore Leonardo every time he appeared on screen, which was difficult, 'cause he's practically in every bloody frame!  I thought the casting was appalling. The lead female was played by a beautiful young woman (? Kate Winslett?) and it looked like she was (disturbingly) getting it on with a pre-pubescent school boy (Leonardo).

Shakespeare in Love - Haven't seen it.

American Beauty   - Haven't seen it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 12:32:57 pm »
Dances with Wolves - Liked it until I heard that Kevin Costner had thrown a tantrum about his rear nude scene  and had insisted on a bum-double stand-in!

Hunh, I hadn't heard that one! Who did he throw a tantrum to? He was the director -- wouldn't he be the one in charge of those kinds of decisions anyway?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 01:57:04 am »
Titanic is one of my very favorite movies of all time! I love that movie. I have the DVD and I sometimes pull it out and watch it.

Dances With Wolves was a movie I was naturally drawn to since I am Native American; specifically Oglala Lakota Sioux which is the tribe portrayed in the movie. This movie was a very good first attempt at portraying Native Americans in a positive light. So many films before it featured Native Americans as beggars, thieves, drunkards and warmongers. I have only seen DWW a total of 5 times, and I haven't watched it in years. I suppose I did this to keep from becoming burned out on the movie. The film does have some historical inaccuracies, but I was willing to overlook them. Having said that, it was a good movie and a good first attempt. I hope there will be more movies like this in the furture.

The English Patient. Sorry Susie. I found this movie incredibly boring. Maybe I should see it again?

Silence of the Lambs. A totally disgusting, appalling, and bone chilling movie. I didn't like it. It left me with an awful feeling. I LOVE Jodie Foster though.

Unforgiven. I haven't seen this movie.

Schindler's List. This was an excellent movie. Very dark and disturbing though.

Forrest Gump. I had to watch this movie several times before I "got it".  It is quite funny now though.

Braveheart. Another totally boring movie. That was years ago. Maybe I should watch it again.

Shakespeare in Love. I love Shakespeare so naturally I enjoyed this movie.

American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 02:10:44 am »
American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

I vote yes, David...give it a shot.  Tell you what, you watch AMERICAN BEAUTY and I'll watch UNFORGIVEN and we can report back.  :D

Titanic - Can't stand Leonardo...

Kerry - can you elaborate a bit on why you don't like Leonardo??  Depending on your reasons, you might consider giving him another shot.  I thought he did good work in both THE DEPARTED and BLOOD DIAMOND recently...

I'm with you, Lynne, since BBM, the litmus test is "would I want to see this again?"

Yep, a whole new set of standards!  :-* :-* :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 03:13:45 am »
*SNIP
Unforgiven. I haven't seen this movie.

*SNIP
American Beauty. Can you believe I've never seen this movie before? Should I? I've heard mixed reviews about i

I would recommend you should see both these films David.  Unforgiven because it is one of the best of the few westerns of the modern era and American Beauty because it is one of those films that strikes a chord in people.  No one walks away unaffected, in fact, it seems to me folks either love it or they hate it no middle ground .
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 09:55:29 am »
Kerry - can you elaborate a bit on why you don't like Leonardo??  Depending on your reasons, you might consider giving him another shot.  I thought he did good work in both THE DEPARTED and BLOOD DIAMOND recently...

I agree, Lynne. I loved Leonardo in the first few movies I saw him in, particularly What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was amazing! Then in Titanic I thought he was fine, but not that special. Same with The Aviator and Catch Me if You Can -- he was decent, but no longer blew me away. And I saw him in some things where I didn't think he was very good at all, such as Gangs of New York.

But then came The Departed, where intense Leo stole the movie from hammy Jack Nicholson (and even to some extent from low-key Matt Damon, though he was very good, too). And I thought he was excellent in Blood Diamond, also. So now he's back to being one of my favorite actors.

I told a friend, "I go up and down on Leonardo." She replied, "Yeah, you wish!"  :laugh:  But actually, I don't find him all that hot. I just think he's a great actor (or can be, anyway).

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 10:04:44 am »
I agree, Lynne. I loved Leonardo in the first few movies I saw him in, particularly What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was amazing! ...

How could I have forgotten GILBERT GRAPE?!?!!! DiCaprio AND Johnny Depp!  So much talent there - Thanks, crayons!  ;)

I told a friend, "I go up and down on Leonardo." She replied, "Yeah, you wish!"  :laugh:  ...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think there was violence early on in UNFORGIVEN that made it unwatchable for me, but like I said, I'm willing to try again.  I think I'll work on coming up with my top ten favorites today while at work today.  Gotta run.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."