Author Topic: The Hidden Ocean  (Read 10613 times)

moremojo

Re: The Hidden Ocean
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:29:32 pm »
It's all about drowning. Gawd, this is so depressing stuff  :'(. I think it is such a cruel, cruel way to die, unconsious or not.
Jack became a brother in death to those lost men on the Thresher.

Drowning is an horrific, painful death, at least if occurring while the victim is conscious. Mary Wollstonecraft survived a suicide attempt by drowning, and wrote of the pain that came in with the lungs filling with water. Even more fundamental than water, sleep, or food in sustaining the body's life, is the need for breathable air. Lack of air quickly induces panic, and panic is always a horrifying experience.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:15 pm »

Lee!!  This is an awesome topic.  And, I think aside from the verbal/ text references to the ocean or sea, I think it's important to continue to look for visual clues.

The color of the truck is a good observation, because it really is such a striking and almost flamboyant color for Ennis (who would usually rather blend into the woodwork than call attention to himself in an aqua blue truck).

But, I think the really crucial visual clue is the anchor on the wall in Jack's room in Lightning Flat.  It's on the wall above his bed and near the window.  It's a great reminder of the ocean reference in Ennis's name.  But, also, it occurs to me that it could be almost an analogy...

If Ennis is in the middle of an ocean (an island in the sea) than Jack is his anchor.  Something like that.  It can be read as really romantic perhaps.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 05:11:26 am »

Lee!!  This is an awesome topic.  And, I think aside from the verbal/ text references to the ocean or sea, I think it's important to continue to look for visual clues.

The color of the truck is a good observation, because it really is such a striking and almost flamboyant color for Ennis (who would usually rather blend into the woodwork than call attention to himself in an aqua blue truck).

As an argument within the story, I'd say that Ennis didn't pay attention to the color at all. He bought what he could afford, not what he liked. He looked for a used truck in a reasonable good condition for a prize he was able to pay. Or maybe someone (a coworker?) offered his old truck on good conditions to Ennis when buying himself a newer one.

But of course there's the question why Ang Lee decided to make Ennis's truck so brightly turquoise. And I agree that it is a visual reference to the ocean.

But, I think the really crucial visual clue is the anchor on the wall in Jack's room in Lightning Flat.  It's on the wall above his bed and near the window.  It's a great reminder of the ocean reference in Ennis's name.  But, also, it occurs to me that it could be almost an analogy...

If Ennis is in the middle of an ocean (an island in the sea) than Jack is his anchor.  Something like that.  It can be read as really romantic perhaps.

We just have a discussion about the anchor at another thread. It starts with Lynne's reply #42
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5702.40.html

It sure would better fit into this topic than the mettle of man. Should we move the last replies (#42-45) to this thread? Lee, what do you say? You created both threads. Would you like to move the anchor discussion from the mettle of man thread to the hidden ocean thread?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 11:57:42 am »
Excellent discussion, everyone. Another reference I would like to bring up is in the story. During foreplay, Ennis is described as stimulating Alma with his hand, "all the way to the north pole or the equator depending on which way you thought you were sailing...."

For Ennis, it was the north pole, for Alma, it may have been the equator!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 08:38:01 pm »
Hmmm, submarines are long, hard, and full of seamen.  :laugh:   Maybe some more Freudian sexual banter between the two boys before gettin' busy.  ;)  :D

I was going to ask for my mouse click back on this thread now im not... :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 11:26:48 am »
Thank you, Ross, for making sure that post did not get buried and thank you Eric, for posting it in the first place!! LOL! Now, another related thought:

Today as I picked up my son from school, he asked me about my day. I said that something big happened to me today. He said, "Did you get fired?" "No" I answered. "Hired?" "No." "Promoted?" "No." "Demoted?" "Again, no."

Pause. "Well, did you get a box of soup?"

"No, why do you ask that?" I said, suddenly very interested.

"Well, when you get a box of soup, it's a big pain, cause it leaks out all over the place."

I never thot of it that way. A new way of looking at a box of soup. "Them soup boxes is real bad to pack."

Ruthlessly Unsentimental posted a very interesting translation of the Basque's speech to Ennis when he picked up the provisions at the bridge. But it didn't discuss the soup as I recall. And we all have puzzled over the meaning of the soup boxes. Until the exchange with my son, I always thot the soup was powdered or dried and that's why it was in boxes. But now I think the soup is liquid, and we all know by now what liquids mean in the tale of Brokeback Mountain. Especially liquids in containers.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 03:23:19 pm »
Great topic, Lee!  8)

Regarding Ennis's name, as Casey Cornelius points out in his great "Deliberate Classical References" thread, Ennis is a variation on the Greek name Aeneas.  The legendary Aeneas, written of by both Homer and Virgil, sailed from Troy to Carthage to Sicily in his wanderings and was subject to the whims of both the Wind (stirred up by a jealous Juno) and Love (Venus, his mother).  All of this has resonance with our own Ennis, of course.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 04:16:26 pm »
Just a quick comment:

The submarine Thresher was named after a shark - the Thresher shark.

# Threshing machine (or thresher), a device that first separates the head of a stalk of grain from the straw, and then further separates the kernel from the rest of the head

# Thresher shark, a type of shark with a distinctly scythe-shaped tail

I'm trying not to read too much into the thresher thing - it was big news back in the day, and Proulx may not have meant its inclusion in the story to mean anything more than the two men aren't exactly isolated from the outside world, hence Jack's knowledge and usage of 25 cent words.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »
Good points, Della. People wonder why Proulx references the Thresher but doesn't even mention the Kennedy assassination, and this could be a clue why.

I'm reading the other stories in the collection that ends with Brokeback Mountain, and one of them is called "The Lost Ocean." In this story, the prairie is the ocean and instead of waves there is the incessant wind.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 12:01:34 pm »
I'm reading the other stories in the collection that ends with Brokeback Mountain, and one of them is called "The Lost Ocean." In this story, the prairie is the ocean and instead of waves there is the incessant wind.

The prairie of central North America is actually an ancient sea bed. Covered wagons that crossed the prairie (and Wyoming, via the Oregon Trail and others) were covered with a white cloth and were called Prairie Schooners (a type of boat). The Rocky Mountains rose up on the western edge of this sea and many remnants of the sea can be found there. Walking around my neighborhood, I have found interesting shells and beautiful coral rocks.