Author Topic: Who is your favorite Beatle?  (Read 11058 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Who is your favorite Beatle?
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:09:12 pm »
Heya,

This question is an offshoot of the poll asking folks whether the like the Beatles or the Stones.  It has been suggested by our friend ineedcrayons that it might be interesting to find out which band members of each group BetterMostians favor.

Once you vote for your favorite, I thought it might also be fun to hear which member you like the least too.

Have fun!
8)

-----------

This is a tough one for me.  I voted for Lennon as my favorite with Harrison as a close second.  I like both of them because they each seem very intelligent and I like Lennon's sense of humor.   My least favorite is McCartney.  I find him annoying.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Who is your favorite Beatle?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:09:29 pm »
I was in the 3rd or 4th grade when the Beatles made it to America. What a riot they caused! We were crazy about them. Anyway, I remember that our teachers were directing us in a traditional Christmas play, and they wrote an extra segment to put in the play---and that new segment was all about the Beatles. haha Some of the boys had Beatle wigs and they played pretend guitar. It was funny.

I always liked Ringo the best. I really didn't dislike any of them, or have a least favorite. All the girls loved Paul and I did not want to be like them. Plus---drummers are just cool to me.  8)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 01:11:25 am »
Obviously John and Paul were the most prolific, and they get a lot of points for that. They were just depthlessly creative.

But I'll have to say that overall I tend to love George's songs the most. Though more scarce, they're just more interesting, especially melodically, to me. In high school, I used to think that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was my favorite Beatles' song, and I'm not sure I've changed my mind.

After the Beatles broke up, I thought George's music was far superior to anybody else's. It was like John and Paul needed each other to balance each others' excesses -- on their own, one was too acerbic and cynical and the other too vapid and poppy (I'll leave it to you to guess which was which!   ;D ;)).

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:38 am »
At the moment, this is kind of fascinating that we have a 4 way tie!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:56:37 am »
I'll tell you what pisses me off - Paul McCartney selling his soul to Starbuck's AND Tully's AND iTUnes, all at the same time.  Isn't he rich enough yet?  And that little moue he is still doing after all these decades.  Feh.

Agree about the non-balance of John and Paul without each other.  Agree about Geroge's non-Beatles songs being the best.  "All Things Must Pass," for example.

The more I learn about "the fifth Beatle," George Martin, the more fascinating he seems.  Here's an odd parody of him:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIA_NVFnXZ8[/youtube]

Oh, but I voted for John as favorite Beatle.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:59:11 am »
I also concur... that when it comes to solo efforts, George wins hands down.

Both John and Paul got to be a little much in their solo careers.  As Elle points out... Paul definitely continues to be a little bit much (at least from my point of view).

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:14:06 am »
For Father's Day my kids bought my husband that CD, "Instant Karma," that compilation of John Lennon songs by various artists that raises funds for Darfur. I listened to it for the first time the other night. The two things that struck me were: 1) there were only a few songs on the album that were even remotely as good as the original  and 2) when it comes right down to it, there's only a very small handful of John Lennon songs I like, period.

"Imagine" is a beautiful song. But after that ... what? "Watching the Wheels" is pretty good. On the album, they actually had to repeat two songs. Of course, John's career was cut short ...  :'(

As Elle said, George has "All Things Must Pass." And then ... "What is Life" "Beware of Darkness" "Dark Horse" ... does "Badge" count? And then countless less prominent ones.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:47:29 am by ineedcrayons »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:11:23 am »
You ever have old family of origin emotions you want catharsis on, try the album "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band."  Really, as a whole album it's incredible. 

Some John Lennon songs sans Beatles
Instant Karma
Happy Xmas (War is Over)
Give Peace A Chance
Working Class Hero
Power to the People (Which actually used to get played on the radio a lot.  Hard to Imagine that now.)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:13:41 am »
All but Happy Xmas are on that tribute CD. For some reason, I couldn't remember whether Instant Karma was post-Beatles; anyway, U2 does a decent version of it there. And I think it's Green Day that does a pretty good Working Class Hero.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 02:29:29 pm »
I quite enjoy Instant Karma.  It's one of my favorite solo Lennon tunes.
:)