Author Topic: Top Ten Films of all Time!!  (Read 24689 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Top Ten Films of all Time!!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »
       My top ten favorite movies................
    Starting with My favorite, and the rest in no particular order....

Brokeback Mountain.

Shawshank Redemption

The Oxbow Incedent

The African Queen

Casablanca

The Usual Suspects

Last Tango in Paris

Schindlers List

My fair Lady

Grapes of Wrath
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:28:20 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 10:03:16 pm »
my top ten in no order except the first one

Brokeback Mountain

Pulp Fiction

9 1/2 weeks

Romeo and Juliette

Gone With the Wind

The Good Girl

Thelma and Louise (mostly because it was my first exposure to Brad Pitt)

Schindlers List

Titanic

And really any action movie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 10:15:45 pm »
Thanks for reminding me about Gone With The Wind Dev! I can't believe I forgot about that one! Definately one of my very favorites. And thanks to Susie and David for reminding me about Amadeus, another one of my favorite movies I forgot about. There are so many of them, and I can't seem to remember them all.

I also like

AS GOOD AS IT GETS Greg Kinnear did an excellent job playing a gay man in that movie. So did Cuba Gooding Jr. And I am not a big Jack Nicholson fan, but I really did like him in this movie. I have the DVD and I pull it out and watch it sometimes. I can't seem to grow tired of this film. I love it!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN on so many levels

SOLARIS (!972) great philosophical science fiction

MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (original) shocking revelation, excellent suspense

CRASH, HAH! GOT YOU

VERTIGO, best Hitchcock film, it's been said that SOLARIS borrowed a bit from this film in so much as how real is a replica if she looks, talks, dresses likes the original.

HOWARDS END yep it humorless, but the characters are great.  Like BBM, much use of symbolism.  The old house represents England.  The characters represent their respective class.

ROMEO AND JULIET (1968)  the most popular Shakespeare film ever on cinema. It was a blockbuster and with good reason.

CHINATOWN great film noir.  Complicated plot with a dark secret at the center.  Acting doesn't get much better. Nicholson and Dunaway are great

BONNIE AND CLYDE.  GReat gangster film.  So much style for this sort of film. French new wave I think they called it.

2001, A SPACE ODYSSEY.  The grandfather of science fiction film. 

THE LITTLE FOXES.  Older movie, based on the Lillian Hellman play.  Greed in the Deep South. Betty Davis is at her best.

great list...lots of my favs too

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 10:52:52 pm »
saw the trailer for Chinatown on the giant screen in the Castro...boy would i love to see it there...what a magnificent movie...definately on my top twenty

Beautiful mind

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 01:07:48 pm »
Silent films are even harder.  I really did love Passion de Jeanne d'Arc, La   by  Carl Theodor Dreyer.  I'm not religious, but the film did move me.  I strongly recommend it.
Falconetti's performance as Joan is magnificent...surely one of the great performances of film history. This isn't my favorite Dreyer work, but it's certainly a masterpiece.

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »
There are so many movies that I love intensely, but my ten choices here reflect those specimens that combine an uncommonly fine mastery of form with rich and enduring emotional content. Listed in chronological order:

Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo (1932), directed by Yasujiro Ozu. Ozu's masterpiece, an alternately funny and sad story of the disillusionment of youth and the reconciliation to a compromised but still vital existence. A summit of film art.

Dekigokoro (1933), directed by Yasujiro Ozu. The most beautiful depiction of a father-son relationship I know of in cinema.

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), directed by Vincente Minnelli. A perennially charming fantasy of an America that never existed. Endlessly watchable.

Ordet (1955), directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer. Carnal love marries spiritual love, culminating in one of the most magnificent endings in film history.

Gertrud (1964), directed by Carl Theodor Dreyer. Dreyer's testament, a story of the overriding importance of love in life.

Au hasard Balthazar (1966), directed by Robert Bresson. A strange parable of man's cruelty to animals and his fellow man. A work of rich, understated beauty, and one of the most important films ever made.

Der Tod der Maria Malibran (1972), directed by Werner Schroeter. Ecstasy on film. Dreams haunted by the sights and sounds of love and loss.

The Scenic Route (1978), directed by Mark Rappaport. One of the finest depictions of complex adult relationships I have encountered in cinema, wedded to a fine and playful visual sensibility.

Tong nien wang shi (1985), directed by Hsiao-hsien Hou. Perhaps the single greatest film made anywhere in the 1980's. Impeccably nuanced and quietly beautiful portrait of a family's disentegration in an intractably troubled and contested corner of the world.

Brokeback Mountain (2005), directed by Ang Lee. The transfiguring power of love found, lost, and remembered. The single most important film yet made.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 02:49:13 pm »
1) Double Indemnity
2) Maltese Falcon
3) The Black Rose
4) The Fountainhead
5) The Day the Earth Stood Still
6) High Noon
7) Chinatown
8) Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
9) The Mark of Zorro (1941 version)
10) Brokeback Mountain

moremojo

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 06:24:23 pm »
WOW! Impressive list Moremojo ... I couldn't even pronounce most of those!  I'd like to see some of them, but they don't look like the sort of films that get shown too often on Satellite TV!
Thanks, Susie. I know that Otona no miru ehon - Umarete wa mita keredo (which is known in English-language discourse as I Was Born, But...) is available on DVD, and, here in the States, Meet Me in St. Louis, Ordet, and Gertrud are shown from time to time on Turner Classic Movies. The Scenic Route was released in videocassette format some years ago, but I don't know how easy it would be to find that.

But amazingly, probably the most obscure of my choices, Der Tod der Maria Malibran (The Death of Maria Malibran, in English translation), is available for complete and free downloading from the following website:

http://www.ubu.com/film/schroeter.html

The streaming quality here is not the greatest, and the film is presented without any English subtitles, but the full film is there--remarkable for a difficult, avant-garde (but potentially very rewarding) work such as this.

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 06:51:46 pm »
Thanks for the info moremojo .... is that downloadable one a German film?
Jawohl! Actually, though, a few lines are in English, and if you and your dad watch it, be prepared for a film that is primarily non-narrative for its first half--understanding here can be challenge quite apart from the issue of language! Nonetheless, a masterpiece, in my opinion.