Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 821428 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #1330 on: December 26, 2008, 01:01:49 am »

Merry Christmas, Jack

:-* :-*

Thank you Lynne!!! I hope your Christmas has been extra special. That is definitely the type of Christmas you deserve.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1331 on: December 28, 2008, 12:23:24 am »
Computers: Here is a word to the wise and the not so wise like me who should know better. Always, always, always make backups of your data on your computer. My main computer crashed on Christmas night. That is why I have not been around since then. I was trying to fix it. Anyway, I do not know exactly what the problem is. It seems to be both hardware and software (operating system) related. I work in this line of work so believe me I have tried everything. I also know more ways to use a keyboard for a mouse since the mouse quit working as part of the meltdown. I have been meaning to do a redo of this computer for awhile now, but I never got around to it. There is truth in the idea that someone who works on computers and fusses at other people for having their computers in such bad shape in reality probably have computers in worse shape. Anyway, I think I have my music, my pictures, my documents, etc. backing up to an external hard drive using a laptop and the external hard drive with the possibly bad hard drive connected. I hope so anyway. I think I should start a computer tips thread. What do you think?

Oh by the way I am also the proud new owner of a really great desktop I found at Circuit City today with an incredibly awesome monitor. And it is by the way the least I have ever spent on a computer. The monitor is 24 inches and HD on top of that. I can even connect the cable to it and watch TV. Also I can watch my new copy of "The Dark Knight" on it. I have not put it together yet. I did not expect this to be my Christmas present to myself, but it happened anyway. I thought I should build one, but where would I find the time. I should not have spent the money I know, but I did. The computer is a HP which I have never had before. I am sick of Dell. That is what I have to work on at work and I really do not think they are as good of computers as they once were.

injest

« Reply #1332 on: December 28, 2008, 12:41:36 am »
Computers: Here is a word to the wise and the not so wise like me who should know better. Always, always, always make backups of your data on your computer. My main computer crashed on Christmas night. That is why I have not been around since then. I was trying to fix it. Anyway, I do not know exactly what the problem is. It seems to be both hardware and software (operating system) related. I work in this line of work so believe me I have tried everything. I also know more ways to use a keyboard for a mouse since the mouse quit working as part of the meltdown. I have been meaning to do a redo of this computer for awhile now, but I never got around to it. There is truth in the idea that someone who works on computers and fusses at other people for having their computers in such bad shape in reality probably have computers in worse shape. Anyway, I think I have my music, my pictures, my documents, etc. backing up to an external hard drive using a laptop and the external hard drive with the possibly bad hard drive connected. I hope so anyway. I think I should start a computer tips thread. What do you think?

Oh by the way I am also the proud new owner of a really great desktop I found at Circuit City today with an incredibly awesome monitor. And it is by the way the least I have ever spent on a computer. The monitor is 24 inches and HD on top of that. I can even connect the cable to it and watch TV. Also I can watch my new copy of "The Dark Knight" on it. I have not put it together yet. I did not expect this to be my Christmas present to myself, but it happened anyway. I thought I should build one, but where would I find the time. I should not have spent the money I know, but I did. The computer is a HP which I have never had before. I am sick of Dell. That is what I have to work on at work and I really do not think they are as good of computers as they once were.

I think a computer tip thread would be great! will there be Q and A?

*Jess getting her list out*

:laugh: :laugh:

I got a new monitor....still not so sure about it...it is pretty and all but...

well...

it's DIFFERENT...and I dont LIKE different...

good luck with your files, Jack....crossing my fingers for you..

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1333 on: December 28, 2008, 12:49:49 am »

It's like the cobbler's children having no shoes, Jack.  I went without anti-virus software for two whole weeks!  ;)

I took advantage of the 3 months free deal that Phillip has with Norton and got that installed.

I accomplished a lot of computer maintenance over Christmas break, but I still don't have a good backup and recovery plan.  My photos and some of my music are on divshare; otherwise, nada.  Guess I need to invest in an external hard drive, or find an older desktop to use as a server.

What O/S are you running on the one that crashed?  My laptop has Vista and I guess I'm adapting.  :-\

I like the idea of a computer tips thread!  Go for it!  I will contribute as best I can.  I'm more of a software person than a hardware person, and not much at all when it comes to multi-media.  It's a great career in a lot of ways, but I *always* feel like I'm behind the eight ball; no matter how much I try to keep up, it's just not possible.

I agree with you about Dell...my laptop is a Dell.  I've only had it a year and I've had to replace the DVD drive and the power supply twice each!  My next laptop is going to be an hp, I think.

Nice about your desktop and new monitor!  What kind is it?  Maybe I should go shopping.  I pretty much watch all my DVDs on my laptop as it is. (which could explain needing two new drives, but still!)

BTW, I'm thinking about taking a UNIX/LINUX class this spring; it's all remote learning.  What do you think?  I'm only semi-literate in it right now and it would be really handy for my new job.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1334 on: December 28, 2008, 01:33:36 am »
I think a computer tip thread would be great! will there be Q and A?

*Jess getting her list out*

:laugh: :laugh:

I got a new monitor....still not so sure about it...it is pretty and all but...

well...

it's DIFFERENT...and I dont LIKE different...

good luck with your files, Jack....crossing my fingers for you..

Where would be the most appopriate place to put this thread? I think it is actually a good idea, not just for me to post, but for other people to post as well. After all, we all have computer problems and solutions.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1335 on: December 28, 2008, 01:35:10 am »
How about BetterMost People?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1336 on: December 28, 2008, 01:38:14 am »
May I wish you and to all:

Thank you Artiste and I hope you are having a great Holiday Season. Hey, Bettermost would not be the same without you. I like the way you express your thoughts. We are after all, or should be, a place of diversity.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1337 on: December 28, 2008, 01:42:29 am »
How about BetterMost People?

That's a good idea. I have never spent much time in BetterMost People or at least I don't think so. Did I say this before about Bettermost People or am I having DejaVu?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1338 on: December 28, 2008, 01:47:16 am »
Jess, you are so very special, your present arrived in the mail yesterday and in fact the mailwoman had to come up the driveway. It is really too bad that everyone in the world cannot be as thoughtful as you. If that were true we would have a great world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1339 on: December 28, 2008, 01:53:44 am »
It almost seems like last year I hit 1,000 posts before New Years last year although considering I am near 3,000 now I am wondering how that could be true. Surely I have not posted 1,900 posts since last yeat at this same time. If so I want to hit 3,000 before the new year comes. My favorite numbers 3 and 9.