Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 830125 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #480 on: January 02, 2008, 01:44:50 pm »
I think 108 might feel good now  :) Do you have snow?

Jeff, I saw something on TV yesterday called The Mummers Parade from Philadelphia, I think that was the name. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. My father kind of explained it, but it still didn't make any sense. Apparently these men dress up like either winches or witches and stand out in the street jumping up and down with umbrellas. There was one bunch dressed up in diapers jumping up and down with umbrellas. I thought at first they were televising a gay pride parade  ;D Whatever it is they supposedly practice many months ahead for whatever it is they are doing. I thought you might know what it is all about?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #481 on: January 02, 2008, 02:01:22 pm »
I didn't even really think you were serious Gary  ;D It would have to be a very, very, very small bottle. You know I need to watch that movie "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf" sometime. I can barely remember my parents watching that and I'm not even sure where we were cause I was a little kid. It almost seems that I remember being halfway asleep in the back of the car which would mean we were at the drive in theatre, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway all I remember about that movie is all these people arguing and fighting from the beginning. I think they were drunk too. Whatever they were I know I couldn't understand why anyone would want to watch them. So that is my memory of that movie. I guess if I watched it now I would understand what was going on.

Scott6373

« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:47 pm »
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" would be a strange film to watch at the drive-in, and you're right, it would not be a film a small child would understand or be interested in, but you should treat yourself and watch it now.  It is a great film.  And there are some very funny lines in it.  Like after George's and Martha's guests arive, and Martha comes down stairs after changing into a slutty outfit, George replies, "Why Martha, your Sunday chapel dress."   :laugh:  Martha has some great lines, too.  I love it when she tells George, "I swear, if you existed I'd divorce you."   :o  Ouch!   :laugh:

I know, it's so gay of me to know the film by heart.   :P  My old college friend Nathan is the one who put me onto "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," and "All About Eve," and he urged me to read E.M. Forster, too.

E.M. Forster and "All About Eve"...that's a combo I never thought I would live to see...LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #483 on: January 02, 2008, 07:25:11 pm »
Jeff, I saw something on TV yesterday called The Mummers Parade from Philadelphia, I think that was the name. I couldn't quite figure out what it was. My father kind of explained it, but it still didn't make any sense. Apparently these men dress up like either winches or witches and stand out in the street jumping up and down with umbrellas. There was one bunch dressed up in diapers jumping up and down with umbrellas. I thought at first they were televising a gay pride parade  ;D Whatever it is they supposedly practice many months ahead for whatever it is they are doing. I thought you might know what it is all about?

It's a parade up South Broad Street from South Philadelphia to City Hall. It sounds like you saw some of the comic groups, which are first in the line of march, before the bands. It's been going on every New Year's for over a hundred years.

And it's "wenches."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #484 on: January 02, 2008, 07:49:18 pm »
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" would be a strange film to watch at the drive-in, and you're right, it would not be a film a small child would understand or be interested in, but you should treat yourself and watch it now.  .

As a former young child who saw WAoVW on TV as a 6 year old, I totally agree with you. I would like to see it now, but tonight I think it will be the Last King of Scotland.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #485 on: January 02, 2008, 08:21:44 pm »

You are supposed to drink lots of fluids.   Water, juice, anything liquid.  Part of the reason for the
nausea and dry heaves is dehydration.  A few crackers would help too...That should help to settle the stomach.  Then more fluids...........aspirins help as well....then just tough it out,

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #486 on: January 03, 2008, 02:19:15 pm »
So maybe Gary since I was a very small child hearing WAoVW in the back seat of the car it turned me gay  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I guess I need to watch that and All About Eve since I have never seen either of them except for the WAoVW when I was little. From the way you describe it, it does sound like it had things in it that a child would not understand. So Truman it sounds like we were about the same age when we saw it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #487 on: January 03, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
It's a parade up South Broad Street from South Philadelphia to City Hall. It sounds like you saw some of the comic groups, which are first in the line of march, before the bands. It's been going on every New Year's for over a hundred years.

And it's "wenches."  ;D

Thanks for the explanation of the parade Jeff. I thought you might now about it since you live in Philadelphia. Am I right about all the wenches being men? Does the parade go by where you live?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #488 on: January 03, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the explanation of the parade Jeff. I thought you might now about it since you live in Philadelphia. Am I right about all the wenches being men? Does the parade go by where you live?

Well, traditionally the clubs were all male--and traditionally they wore blackface, too--but I believe they admit women these days, and the blackface is long gone.

Yes, the parade passes practically right under my windows.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #489 on: January 03, 2008, 02:46:17 pm »
Well, traditionally the clubs were all male--and traditionally they wore blackface, too--but I believe they admit women these days, and the blackface is long gone.

Yes, the parade passes practically right under my windows.

I remember seeing that on TV every year when I was but a wee lad.  I used to tell my mother her parade was on.