Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 831045 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:14 pm »
it's cool, isn't it?  He told me he's been to all 50 states.  that's so cool.   I've often said that I'd like to drive cross country for 2 weeks in an RV, and see as much as I can.

Chuck you have the same exact thought as me. It has always been a dream of mine to drive cross country and see as much as I can. Wow, so Truman has been to all 50 states. That must be very nice and is something I hope to accomplish one day.

Here's a question for all of you. If you are flying and your plane lands in a place can you consider that as a place you have been? In my opinion you can; however, I had a discussion with this woman at work who says that doesn't count. When I flew to SF, my plane stopped in Minneapolis. It was a beautiful cloud free day and I definitely saw the skylines of both Minneapolis and St. Paul as well as the Minnesota countryside which by the way was beautiful. I even took pictures. She says that I cannot say that I was ever there which makes no sense to me. If I was never there then what did I see? Also since there was time between planes I was definitely on the ground there for awhile. Now coming back the plane stopped in Detroit. Unfortunately it was pretty dark so all I saw were lights and the outline of Lake Michigan. I guess I can understand how flying over a place may not be considered as ever being there, but if the plane lands does that not mean you have been to the place before? I am very curious as to people's thoughts.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2008, 01:48:10 pm »
I can see both sides.

If you were physically in the place, then yes, you were there.  But for me, I wouldn't count it for me unless I stayed there for some time (at least a day) and saw some sites.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2008, 01:52:45 pm »
I can see both sides.

If you were physically in the place, then yes, you were there.  But for me, I wouldn't count it for me unless I stayed there for some time (at least a day) and saw some sites.

That's a good point Chuck. One of the main things I like to do somewhere I visit is see the sites. So I guess stopping in a place could give you the idea of whether or not you want to go back and see the sites. I would say that I would definitely like to spend at least a couple of days in the Minneapolis area. However, I don't want to do that in the winter  ;D although the pictures I have seen of all the snow are beautiful. But I still think I would take spring or summer  ;)

injest

« Reply #583 on: January 20, 2008, 01:53:11 pm »
I would consider that you have been there!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #584 on: January 20, 2008, 01:55:08 pm »

If you do something illegal, and the cops come and take you to jail..  They don't put you back in the plane 
and arrest you at your final destination...You are arrested by the local police.  You are under their jurisdiction..
Yes you are there all right................

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #585 on: January 20, 2008, 02:16:06 pm »
If I stop there -- I count it.

And I buy a keychain--or a magnet. LOL
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #586 on: January 20, 2008, 02:59:46 pm »
Of course you have been there. It counts.
Was the same for me last year, when I had a stopover in Philadelphia. I counted it. Well, on my way back home I missed my connection and had to stay the night in Philadelphia, but I would have counted it anyway. This year, I'll have a stopover in Milwaukee - and it counts!  :)
And I will also count Wisconsin to the states I've been to.

We have an interactive map somewhere, where you can check the states you've been to and it shows you a map of the US with your states marked red.
And we have the same with the countries of the world.

I'll go and see if I can find it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #587 on: January 20, 2008, 03:10:52 pm »
Regardless of what I decide to do it is so wonderful to have all the friends I have on here. You all are just great and it makes me feel so good to know that there are actually people out there that read what I say and actually care about what I do end up doing. Probably I will stay around here for the forseeable future and make many visits to places I do like and places that I have never been to before. Sometimes I wonder if that really is having the best of two worlds. I think about all the places Truman goes and all the places he sees. He makes that happen and I admire him for it.

So can you Jack, so can we all - we just need to make a concerted effort, travelling is great if we have the time and money to do it but we dont always have that - there are other ways to enrich our lives - reading, chatting with other cultures either on here or on skype etc, learning new skills, volunteering etc.

Oh by the way - I passed through slovenia on the train while doing my euro trip - I kinda count that by saying I saw some lovely countryside but didn't actually stop anywhere and when in crotia i was meant to have a 20minute stopover in Zagreb, but we missed the train and aso we ended up having 5 hours there instead. I say I've been there as I did go see some stuff to waste some time!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #588 on: January 20, 2008, 03:12:09 pm »
Here's the thread with the US map:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5775.0.html

Heck, I even counted Montana, since I walked a few meters beyond that sign in LF!  :laugh:

Edit:

I also found the one with the whole world:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,5779.0.html

Going to update that one now  :).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #589 on: January 20, 2008, 03:31:34 pm »
Hi, Jack! I just saw a cowboy from North Carolina win the PRB Bullriding championship at the rodeo in Denver. Do you know North Carolina very well? I would love to go there since I saw Last of the Mohicans and learned that that movie was filmed in North Carolina!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"