Author Topic: Learning to Speak Like An American - The Art of Dialogue Coaching  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Learning to Speak Like An American - The Art of Dialogue Coaching
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:07:37 am »

A British citizen learns to speak like an American.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Learning to Speak Like An American - The Art of Dialogue Coaching
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:17:07 am »
Learn Mancunian English (Manchester) in 10 minutes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/features/2002/11/07/manc.ram

:D
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:23:41 am »
That was very interesting.  I've thought before that that would be a very cool thing to do, help people learn new accents.  Heath has been using the same coach for several movies now.

Bruce, Mancunian sounds pretty challenging.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 10:06:05 am »
More on the same topic...this was on NPR a few years ago but I remembered it because I thought it was interesting.

A class called "Playing the American" at UCLA aims to help actors from abroad to capture the American type. Mastering the accent is a challenge in itself. The teacher of the class and two students discuss what it means to "act American."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4716864
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:21:25 pm »
More on the same topic...this was on NPR a few years ago but I remembered it because I thought it was interesting.

A class called "Playing the American" at UCLA aims to help actors from abroad to capture the American type. Mastering the accent is a challenge in itself. The teacher of the class and two students discuss what it means to "act American."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4716864

I probably need this myself as occasionally my "Universal Translator" fails to adequately translate my "Texan" into clear "American".......just kidding.

injest

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »
I probably need this myself as occasionally my "Universal Translator" fails to adequately translate my "Texan" into clear "American".......just kidding.

I was just thinking the same thing..I think I sound JUST like the people on the national news but people that have heard my voice seem to be under the impression that I have an accent!!  >:(

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:46:31 pm »
I was just thinking the same thing..I think I sound JUST like the people on the national news but people that have heard my voice seem to be under the impression that I have an accent!!  >:(

Don't feel singled out Injest, when I travel I am IMMEDIATELY labelled as Tex! I realize that it is done in good humor, and my accent often makes me a lot of friends.
I really don't exaggerate my drawl, I simply have a Texas drawl that won't quit no matter how hard I try! And, there are phraseological constructions that label me as a Southerner who grew up in small town. A lot of brokies have noticed some of those same expressions in the movie Brokeback Mountain, and there is a thread I noticed dedicated to the noting speech patterns of the Brokeback boys. Truth is they could have talked to me on the phone for 30 minutes and probably heard a me use a lot of those expressions naturally.

Happy Trails!