Author Topic: Top Ten Songs of all Time!  (Read 14784 times)

injest

Re: Top Ten Songs of all Time!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:13:59 pm »
I am surprised you took this long...I expected you on page 1!!

;)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 10:07:07 pm »
I can't do 10 right now.

Addicted to Love -- Robert Palmer

Open Arms -- Journey

American Pie -- Don McLean

Suspicious Minds -- Elvis Presley

Rocky Mountain High -- John Denver
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:09 pm »
Here's another one to add to my list!  :D

SMALL TOWN John Mellencamp

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities...

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:56:52 am »
You can add this to my list

Daniel & Your Song & Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me by Elton John

Father and Son & Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens

Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft

Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart

Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel

Sail Away &  Poems Prayers and Promises
by John Denver

Longer by Dan Fogelberg

You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker

Vincent by Don McClean

Baby I love Your Way
by Peter Frampton

Dust in the Wind  & Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas

Breakfast in America by Supertramp

Devil Inside by INXS

Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers

Baby Come Back by Player

Your Wildest Dreams by The Moody Blues

It's a Beautiful Life by Kenny Rogers

From a Distance & I Think It's Going To Rain Today by Bette Midler

Desperado & Witchy Woman & Peaceful Easy Feeling by The Eagles

I Will Remember You & Angel by Sara MacLachain

Here With Me & All You Want by Dido

Brothers in Arms & Money for Nothin & Your Latest Trick by Dire Straits

I'm sure there will be more to come  ::)

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:15 am »

Dust in the Wind  & Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas

I had a HUGE crush on this certain guy in high school. His name was Kenny. Well, come to find out, he had a crush on me too! So, one weekend we went camping.... in his backyard!  :laugh:  Big time camping, huh? Anyhow, we did it that night inside the tent and Carry On My Wayward Son was playing on the little portable radio we brought out to the tent with us. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of Kenny.

Those are some REALLY good memories! God, he was cute!  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:32:58 am »
 ::) 8) :D  I'm going to take a little bit of a different approach to this, since no one seems to be able to stick with just 10 in any case!  :D 8) ::)

Here are songs that are 'faves' in that they relate to different periods of my life...

Eight Days A Week, Beatles - the first 45 I 'sang along to'.  My babysitter left it at my house and I thought the band's name was embarassing so I didn't admit I liked it to anyone.  It was years later before I realized I had excellent taste early on! ::) 8)

Mountain Music, Alabama - my first concert in Fort Payne, AL at 14.

Daniel, Elton John - my first rock concert at the Murphy Center, Murfreesboro, TN at 15.

Metal Health album, Quiet Riot - sophomore and junior years in high school, esp Cum On Feel the Noize - (way more embarassing to admit!  Prince, Twisted Sister, and Morris Day and the Time go here too.)

Desperado, Eagles - the first boy I loved

The Memory of Trees, Enya - the man I loved and married

Paint It Black, Rolling Stones - the wedding band  :D (seriously, they were a Stones cover-band essentially, though they scrounged up some Clapton also, whom I refuse to list!)

Sweet Baby Jane, James Taylor - my dear friend, Vanessa, now gone on to a plain where I hope she's no longer grieving

...along about now there's this whole period of Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread Panic, Allman Brothers, Dave Matthews, Marshall Tucker that's a complete blur... ::)

Paint By Numbers, James McMurtry - the singer-songwriter years

A Love That Will Never Grow Old, Gustavo Santaolalla

And for good measure, I'll bracket this on both sides by the old time country, gospel, blues, and jazz - too numerous to mention - that were my lullabies and have been ever-present sustainment thru the fads.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:15:41 am »
I'm dividing up my list into 10 ballads and 10 uptempo songs.

Les ballades:

1. Down To You by Joni Mitchell.  It's impossible for me to choose one favorite Joni Mitchell song.  This one captured something about adulthood that I didn't grasp at 19 when I first heard it, but understand better now.

2. There Will Always Be A You by Donna Summer.  I love a lot of the Bad Girls album, but this ballad always reminded me of my mother.

3. Vincent by Don McLean.  I'm so drawn to songs that are melancholic and beautiful at the same time, and I love how he tells this story about the artist's dilemma.

4.  How Will You Go by Crowded House.  Neil Finn is an amazing songwriter and this song got me through a few breakups.

5.  Rain Rain Go Away by Vince Guaraldi.  I love Linus and Lucy, the fun song from Charlie Brown that everyone knows.  But this moody piano solo is great in the right mood.

6. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face/The Ballad of The Sad Young Man by Roberta Flack. Two haunting ballads from Roberta Flack's first album, and each with a very different mood.

7. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon.  This song reminds me of high school, the good, the bad and the now repressed.

8. On My Own by Frances Ruffelle, from Les Miserables.  One of the first musicals I saw and for me the quiet highlight of the show.

9.  Love Is A Losing Game by Amy Winehouse.  This song is seriously like a lost Motown classic, even though she wrote it last year.  All the pieces of it work so perfectly together.

10.  So It Shall Be by k.d. lang.  She's got an amazing, versatile voice, and who can't love a song about obssessive love.

The Dance Tunes

1. Kiss by Prince.  I'm a major Prince fanatic, and could've pulled out any number of obscure tracks, but really, all I have to hear is the guitar and "UNHHH!" opening and I want to be spinning around on Cuban heels.

2.  Fantasy (Def Club Mix) by Mariah Carey.  Amazing vocals, great club remix and still manages to mix in the Genius of Love sample from the original version.

3.  Good Times by Chic.  I'm a sucker for songs with distinctive openings, and this is the perfect summer song with the perfect opening.

4.  Gold Digger by Kanye West.  OK, lyrically not very PC, but I love Jamie Foxx doing a Ray Charles sample and the Git-down-girl-go-head-git-down chorus.

5.  Hey Ya by OutKast.  I will never get tired of shaking it like a Polaroid picture.

6. Girls On Film by Duran Duran.  One of my favorite songs from the New Wave era.  I so wanted to be part of that band and be a Boy on Film with the drummer.

7.  Rehab by Amy Winehouse.  Aside from being irresistibly catchy and soulful, the music is so intricate.  I could find something different in the playing every time I hear it.

8.  Like A Prayer (Club Mix) by Madonna.  This is a more obscure remix with a hard, almost hip hop beat and samples her going Ohmigod, it's hot.

9.  Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson. For me his last great song before going completely cuckoo, one club in NYC plays this on Friday nights and it's a blast.

10. Ojos Asi by Shakira.  Bully for her that she's crossed over, but there was a time when she wrote good songs that had nothing to do with her belly dancing.  This one incorporates her Arabic heritage as well, it's hot.

I could do lists for any ole category, songs from movies, songs for mixtapes, 10 favorite cover songs....but this'll do for now.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 02:43:00 am »
I had a HUGE crush on this certain guy in high school. His name was Kenny. Well, come to find out, he had a crush on me too! So, one weekend we went camping.... in his backyard!  laugh  Big time camping, huh? Anyhow, we did it that night inside the tent and Carry On My Wayward Son was playing on the little portable radio we brought out to the tent with us. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of Kenny.

Those are some REALLY good memories! God, he was cute!  Cheesy

Wow, whatta sexy story, David!!    8)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:30 am »
Wow, whatta sexy story, David!!    8)

Kenny was gorgeous Laura. Dark and handsome. He played the string bass in my high school orchestra. He was on the wrestling team and the football team too. A total hunk.

And then there was Ron. Ron from Rotterdam. He was an exchange student. But that's a different story!  8)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 04:26:20 am »
Let's Hear It For the Boy Deniece Williams

Can't help it. I love that song!!  :D