Author Topic: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?  (Read 13917 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 06:19:21 pm »
Does someone want to invite him again?

Note that I do not want him in our democratic countries!

Do you?

injest

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »
Why not? He will be having supper at the White House as soon as Obama gets in!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 07:22:32 pm »
Oh !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 11:33:18 pm »
Why not? He will be having supper at the White House as soon as Obama gets in!

Nobody will be inviting him to the White House Jess. That will never happen. Although I am in favor of talking to our enemies. I always have been. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 11:35:41 pm »
Nobody will be inviting him to the White House Jess. That will never happen. Although I am in favor of talking to our enemies. I always have been. :)

well where you think they are gonna talk? I think they will talk in the White House..do you think it is wise for him to go there? I dont'. I don't trust Admawhoever..

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 11:42:03 pm »
There are plenty of places for them to talk. It doesn't have to be at the White House. They could even meet in a neutral country if they wished. I just don't believe in isolating these countries. It really hasn't worked very well in the past.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 11:46:09 pm »
There are plenty of places for them to talk. It doesn't have to be at the White House. They could even meet in a neutral country if they wished. I just don't believe in isolating these countries. It really hasn't worked very well in the past.

Switzerland maybe?

you remember Hitler? and appeasement? I don't think we will be able to change their minds about us, David.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:06 pm »
well where you think they are gonna talk? I think they will talk in the White House..do you think it is wise for him to go there? I dont'. I don't trust Admawhoever..

I don't understand where you got this impression that any kind of meeting would happen at the White House?  ???

When Obama (or anyone) talks about diplomacy it doesn't even necessarily mean that the president himself would be involved.  Even within the Bush administration (an administration very resistent to a lot of diplomacy) there have been talks with unfriendly countries... and usually this is done between diplomats such as the Secretary of State or other such figures.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:01 pm »

I don't understand where you got this impression that any kind of meeting would happen at the White House?  ???

When Obama (or anyone) talks about diplomacy it doesn't even necessarily mean that the president himself would be involved.  Even within the Bush administration (an administration very resistent to a lot of diplomacy) there have been talks with unfriendly countries... and usually this is done between diplomats such as the Secretary of State or other such figures.

but Obama says he will have meetings himself. NOT Sec of State (which I really don't mind at all) but for all his faults, Kissinger knows his stuff and he says that meeting with the President gives a sense of legitimacy to the other person's cause..

I dont like the idea of helping Ahmadinejad

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2008, 11:55:50 pm »
Switzerland maybe?

you remember Hitler? and appeasement? I don't think we will be able to change their minds about us, David.

Diplomacy doesn''t mean appeasement.  It's helpful to talk to people first hand to find out what they want instead of having experts try to guess what they want.  Knowing what they want doesn't mean they'll necessarily get it, or we'll want to give it to them.  The point of diplomacy is to know your adversary.

If something can be worked out that's fine.  But it's not always possible.  But people usually come away knowing better what they're up against.