Author Topic: My favorite gay movies  (Read 47588 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: My favorite gay movies
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 03:56:21 pm »

Sordid Lives, I own that movie.  I love it.  My son and his wife gave me that for Christmas one year after I told them how much I loved it.  It is so funny...The woman with the rubber band...oww.LOL

I love her!!!

"Y'all, I am tryin to quit smokin and y'all are gettin on my nerves!"  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 01:08:57 pm »
Ah, yes, "Picnic at Hanging Rock." One of my favourite Australian movies. So atmospheric and mysterious. And who could ever forget that beautiful main theme on the pan pipes? Exquisite. Having said that, however, can it actually be classified as a "gay movie"? I mean, certainly, it's set around a group of school girls having a picnic and Miranda is particularly beautiful, but I can't specifically recall any "gay" content. Would you also consider "The Devil's Playground" to be a gay movie, Scott? Personally, I would not, even though it is set in a Catholic boys' boarding school. I am open to persuasion here. It's been a long time since I saw either movie.
Oh, I think there's a definite lesbian undercurrent to the film. In the opening scenes, when the girls are preparing for their Valentine's Day outing, you see some of them reading Valentine cards to each other, with obvious emotional investment in the exchange. Also, the girls are all more or less infatuated with Miranda, the school favorite, especially Sara, who is probably the most bereaved of all following Miranda's mysterious disappearance.

As for The Devil's Playground, that's one I haven't caught up with yet.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:31 pm »
What about REBECCA?

Mrs. Danvers showing the undergarments of Rebecca to The Second Mrs. de Winter.  Obviously, Mrs Danvers had a thing for Rebecca.   That said, I don't think that makes it a gay movie.  Oh Hitchcock had pscho gays in ROPE or STRANGER ON A TRAIN, but the censors only allowed so much.  I wonder if audiences in the 1950's picked up on the two guys in ROPE?   I guess it really had to be in their face for them to "get it."

An older person told me audiences were quite shocked when ADVISE AND CONSENT had the first scene ever to take place inside a gay bar.  The public thought the decor would be much much nicer.  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 04:46:32 pm »
What about REBECCA?

Mrs. Danvers showing the undergarments of Rebecca to The Second Mrs. de Winter.  Obviously, Mrs Danvers had a thing for Rebecca.   That said, I don't think that makes it a gay movie.  Oh Hitchcock had pscho gays in ROPE or STRANGER ON A TRAIN, but the censors only allowed so much.  I wonder if audiences in the 1950's picked up on the two guys in ROPE?   I guess it really had to be in their face for them to "get it."

An older person told me audiences were quite shocked when ADVISE AND CONSENT had the first scene ever to take place inside a gay bar.  The public thought the decor would be much much nicer.  ;)

Hi Karl!  :D

I don't think I've seen ROPE before. It's not ringing any bells. I'll check it out sometime and I'll watch for that scene you described.

Another quasi gay movie is The Color Purple. There is a very obvious lesbian scene between Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) and Shug (Margaret Avery) towards the end of the movie. The Color Purple was made in 1985, so the exchange between the two ladies is very toned down, but it's there all the same.  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

moremojo

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 04:52:18 pm »
Another quasi gay movie is The Color Purple.
If I excluded all quasi gay movies from my list, there's no way I could have ever come up with ten or more choices. I just don't think there are that many truly great gay-themed films out there.
There is a very obvious lesbian scene between Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) and Shug (Margaret Avery) towards the end of the movie. The Color Purple was made in 1985, so the exchange between the two ladies is very toned down, but it's there all the same.
A friend of mine, when first seeing the film, didn't even realize that the two women entered into a physical relationship at this moment. He thought they had just become really close friends. I understand in the original novel, the lesbian relationship is plain to see.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2007, 05:10:05 pm »
If I excluded all quasi gay movies from my list, there's no way I could have ever come up with ten or more choices. I just don't think there are that many truly great gay-themed films out there.

I totally agree with you Scott. Hopefully Brokeback Mountain has now opened a new door and we will see more gay friendly films.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2007, 05:12:26 pm »
Many movies already mentioned here are fantastic, but I want to plug a bit of different genre film called "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang".  Val Kilmer as a hard-boiled gay LA detective is "pluperfectly" awesome, and Robert Downey Jr as the story's narrator is wonderfully incoherent!  The story?  I'm not sure I've even figured that out, but I liked the way one cliche after another of "Hollywood noir" gets set up and then thwarted.

I'd love to see a sequel...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Scott6373

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2007, 05:15:08 pm »
I am semi stunned (unless I missed them) that no one mentioned"

Angels in America (devastating)

The Laramie Project (incredible)

The Children's Hour (a classic, and very good)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »

SPOILERS

The new movie Eastern Promises has a definate gay thread running thru it.  Even though
it is never a consumated connection.  You can see the character Kalil is totally in love with the character played by Viggo Mortenson...

Beautiful mind

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 06:02:41 pm »
Another quasi gay movie is The Color Purple. There is a very obvious lesbian scene between Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) and Shug (Margaret Avery) towards the end of the movie. The Color Purple was made in 1985, so the exchange between the two ladies is very toned down, but it's there all the same.  :D

A friend of mine, when first seeing the film, didn't even realize that the two women entered into a physical relationship at this moment. He thought they had just become really close friends. I understand in the original novel, the lesbian relationship is plain to see.

This is a little OT, but I saw the Broadway show The Color Purple, and the lesbian relationship was very clear.  A little too clear, it seems, for some folks who literally walked out.