Author Topic: As the World Turns - Luke and Noah (Videos)  (Read 97382 times)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
As the World Turns - Luke and Noah (Videos)
« on: September 26, 2007, 09:48:09 pm »
I am not normally interested in the inane drivel that seems to spout from the lips of soap opera performers, but on some rare occasions, some of the storylines are actually interesting, the scenes poignant, the actors right on the spot from an emotional level. It was sad that no soap opera seemed to pursue a homosexual relationship though. Passions I believe was one of the first to look at this idea with some acceptance, but with a poor reaction in their demographic from what I understand (causing it to change channels several times).

Had I but realized it, As the World Turns made daytime history with the first gay kiss between two main characters this past August. The story of Luke and Noah is captivating, compelling, and hits the head of the nail straight-on in so many ways that it is sometimes unnerving. They must have a damn good writer.  You can find most of the storyline of Luke and Noah on youtube, and the storyline has skyrocketed the viewership of the show, according to the performers blogs. (From what I understand the youtube version of the kiss was the second most viewed video for three days after showing, so the actors must be doing something right). Of the mail sent to the show in response to the gay kiss and its intricate storyline, the viewers seem to indicate close to 99% approval rating. Now we're getting somewhere.

[youtube=425,350]DVsX9RnoHGk[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:01:16 pm by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: As the World Turns
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:26:47 pm »
In youtube land, it seems that the Luke and Noah story is known as the Nuke story, apparently as an indication of the chemistry that seems to be present in their first encounters. Not to mention, the type of blasting effect it had on the social conventions of daytime dramas.

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:24:37 am »
Thanks for bringing my attention to this story, Daniel. Though The Young and the Restless was my soap back in my regular soap-watching days, I have seen As the World Turns from time to time, and it remains my aunt Carolyn's favorite daytime drama. But I had no idea of this exciting new storyline; I was aware of some daytime soap dealing with a lesbian character quite some time ago, but, apart from a guest appearance of RuPaul on, I believe, All My Children, I believe this is the first occasion for a gay male storyline to be dealt with in this genre. And a kiss, no less!

I think this is another solid illustration of the acceptance and even interest for lesbigay issues that has taken root in mainstream America. Boy, things sure have changed since when I was a kid! 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:35:07 am by moremojo »

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:41:50 am »
Rereading your initial post, Daniel, I noted your mention of Passions, a show with which I am not familiar. They actually had to change channels more than once because of a gay storyline/character? I guess I shouldn't be surprised--when I was growing up, it was not unusual to hear people react to homosexuality with undisguised contempt and loathing.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:49:22 am »
Yes, I used to watch Passions for a bit when I was younger, the other ones were obviously much more complicated and had a whole lot of history going on in them that I wasn't aware of. Not that I needed to actually see much of the history; it seemed almost like every episode had bit of a recap session and made repeated references to the same event. Not that there's anything wrong with this, it just seemed a little sappy and unrealistic... lol.

My mother was into several of them right around when I was born, but she said she had to get off them because they were enveloping too much of her life. And I found it surprising that she remembered some of the main characters in As the World Turns including Cheri, whom I believe is Noah's mother. Her ghost is in the last youtube video I posted.

Also, to clarify things, Luke is the blond, Noah is the dark-haired.

One of the great things about Youtube is that the film-makers edit it pretty thoroughly, so that it is a continuous story of relevant scenes, instead of the jumbled jump-to-another-scene-as-soon-as-it-gets-interesting format you might be used to seeing during the daytime dramas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:20:57 pm by Daniel »

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:51:57 am »
Rereading your initial post, Daniel, I noted your mention of Passions, a show with which I am not familiar. They actually had to change channels more than once because of a gay storyline/character? I guess I shouldn't be surprised--when I was growing up, it was not unusual to hear people react to homosexuality with undisguised contempt and loathing.

I am not certain why exactly it kept moving around. I believe CBS dropped it, then it was picked up for a bit by NBC, then dropped again and went to Sci-Fi channel for a bit (which is really weird), and then came back to CBS or wherever it is now. I'm not really certain about any of the channels except for the Sci-Fi thing. I could only surmise that the show was having difficulty finding or reaching a target demographic, and its viewership was down, which was why stations kept dropping it or trading it or whatever they were doing.

CORRECTION: Passions began on NBC, and was for a very long time in the same time slot as As the World Turns. It moved to Sci-Fi, then back to NBC, but can now only be found on Channel 101 on DirectTV. I'm still not certain why, but I imagine it was because As the World Turns had a more captivating storyline, even though Passions had the better looking guys, and thus ATWT had a wider viewership. After a little bit of research into the gay storyline that it had (has?), it seems like Vincent and Chad are a pursuit of the more adult themes of a gay storyline, while Luke and Noah's is more of a young love. Interesting enough, Passions never aired a gay kiss as far as I am aware and seemed to focus intently on the "forbidden" types of romantic and sexual liaisons between Vincent and Chad, possibly because Chad was married to one of the other main female characters (you'll forgive me if I can't remember the names).  I have not watched Passions in some time and I had to do a bit of research to catch up with what is going on, but I think I remember a little bit of an unknown incest storyline, so it was kind of gross.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:23:08 pm by Daniel »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:28:42 pm »
Hey Daniel..

I'll check out these videos when I get home tonight.

It reminds me of the wonderful storyline on Coronation Street a few years ago about 2 lads (karl and Todd) falling in love.  There is thread around here somewhere dedicated to their story.  It was very well done as well.

Cheers,
~M

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:27:59 pm »
Sigh, apparently the Nuke story was not continued on today's episode, but the preview for next week is rather disturbing... :(

I'll see if I can dig up some interesting youtube videos about the Nuke storyline for you.

[youtube=425,350]PYd3leEVUjs[/youtube]

Here is the first time that Noah's character was introduced to the show, and his first encounter with both Maddie and Luke.

Notice how there is a lot more physical contact between Luke and Noah than between Maddie and Noah, even though it seems like it could go in either direction from here. I still think this is chemistry that has been present from the start.

[youtube=425,350]iMOzT5mNvRE[/youtube]

The second part of the storyline. Luke shows a little "disgust" (or perhaps jealousy) at Maddie's and Noah's special connection.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 11:51:45 pm »
Parts 3 and 4 of the Luke and Noah story.

[youtube=425,350]ar2Jfb9QFTw[/youtube]

35 to 40 seconds into film 3, there's an interaction between Luke and Noah that's hard to describe. Either way, Noah is more than a little disturbed or saddened by it. I find this amazing because usually you can read soap opera emotional gestures like a book with huge block letters. This is subtle. It could be any number of things, but I think it has to do with the developing chemistry between them, or perhaps a silent pursuit of chemistry.

[youtube=425,350]mTdoymWTM68[/youtube]

The first sign of electrical chemistry. Look out Luke, that's more than a Herkimer diamond. Anyway, note the interaction between Luke and Noah right after "the touch". Noah becomes the pursuer until Luke pulls away, and more specifically Luke pushes him and Maddie together. Not the best move to make in the world, but not entirely disastrous.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:20:03 pm by Daniel »

injest

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 12:02:32 am »
you are gonna make me start watching soaps aren't you??  >:(

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I may have to start videotaping this thing...