Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8740367 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17190 on: June 02, 2021, 05:40:30 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Happy Hump Day!!

It's feels nice when the work week after a holiday is speeding by!   Makes the weekend seem closer.

Had a nice time at my friends' house on Memorial Day.   lots of laughs, and good food, and my antipasta salad went pretty quickly.   I guess it was different enough to be interesting, but still be a "bbq" type item.

I've been dealing with my Monster Report today, and I actually signed off of the work laptop pretty much on time.  That's always nice.

No big plans for this coming weekend.  other than to put up my pride flag and lights.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17191 on: June 02, 2021, 05:41:21 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17192 on: June 02, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »
Speaking of which, Chuck, do you pronounce bruschetta brusketa or brusheta? I learned on the first night of my first trip to Italy (from an American) that the former is correct, so I've been using it ever since. But I often have Americans either ignore my pronunciation or correct it, as if I pronounced it that way because I'd never heard the word spoken before.

I pronounce it "brusketa".  In the Italian language the "ch" is pronounced like a "k".

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17193 on: June 02, 2021, 05:54:26 pm »
I pronounce it "brusketa".  In the Italian language the "ch" is pronounced like a "k".

OK, I wasn't sure how closely your Italian conformed to the real pronunciation. When I was learning (a bit of) Italian, my ex-husband said, "You're just speaking in an Italian accent!" And I said, that's just what you have to do to speak it correctly. I think one of the hard things in the early days of learning a second language is getting over feeling silly pronouncing it in a way that feels artificial but is actually correct.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17194 on: June 02, 2021, 05:54:41 pm »
Don't get me started on "panini"!  It's plural, and one sandwich is a "panino"!

Thank you!!!!!!

Every time I tell that to anyone, they look at me like I have three heads! 

It goes back to my original post.......there is no use of 's' in Italian to make words plural.  The Italian word for sandwich is considered masculine, and therefore ends in 'o', with  the plural ending in 'i'.

"I want a sandwich" in Italian is "Io volgio un panino".  To use it in the plural form, "I want two sandwiches"  would be "Io volgio due panini".

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17195 on: June 02, 2021, 05:56:05 pm »
OK, I wasn't sure how closely your Italian conformed to the real pronunciation. When I was learning (a bit of) Italian, my ex-husband said, "You're just speaking in an Italian accent!" And I said, that's just what you have to do to speak it correctly. I think one of the hard things in the early days of learning a second language is getting over feeling silly pronouncing it in a way that feels artificial but is actually correct.

It's funny you should say that.  When I went to Italy to visit friends and family, when I spoke in Italian, I was told I have a Roman accent.

I've been debating investing in that Rosetta stone or another online class to brush up on my Italian.   I enjoyed knowing it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17196 on: June 02, 2021, 05:59:01 pm »
Want to know more about words you're mispronouncing?

Here's a YouTube video by a channel called Marco in a Box - it features a cute, married gay couple, one who is Italian.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 09:21:49 pm by CellarDweller »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17197 on: June 02, 2021, 07:12:11 pm »
They are adorabile!  (pronounced "adorabilay")

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17198 on: June 02, 2021, 09:01:24 pm »
Don't get me started on "panini"!  It's plural, and one sandwich is a "panino"!

Recently there was an article in The New Yorker about le Tacos in France. Tacos is singular. You want one? You order a tacos.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17199 on: June 02, 2021, 09:42:34 pm »
Not necessarily. Apparently "Latinx" is controversial, especially among the people to whom it's supposed to apply. I just read something about this ... somewhere ... lately, but I can't remember where, so I can't provide a reference.   :(  I remember reading something like "Latinx" is popular among academics and some sexual minorities--I've seen journalists use it, too--but among others maybe not so much. Grammar and pronunciation are involved ( Is it "Latincks" or "Latin-ex"?). There was some question, too, about the use being "imposed" by people--like academics--who are outside the community. Since we're now supposed to refer to people the way they prefer, I suppose this could get quite messy,

I was wondering about how Latinx was pronounced as well, and it just so happens that I'm watching a Vice channel movie called "HIV:  The Neglected Pandemic", and one of the people interviewed was Javier Muñoz from "Hamilton".  He was talking about being Latinx and he pronounced it as "Lateenex"