Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8740981 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2007, 06:46:54 am »
Morning BetterMost!

already Tuesday!  Hoooooorrrrrrrrrraaaaaay.

Back to the daily grind after coming home from Slash Bash this past weekend.....damn....much traveling on my schedule!  It was soooo good to see my friends again, and share the laughs and hugs!

Today's poem I wrote just over a year ago, for a special guy.  He was a musician, and he was never satistfied with the outcome of what came out of his keyboard when he played.

I gave him a different view.

Your Music

Sitting in the basement
hearing the clock tick
I place the cd in the computer
the one you hid in my bag
as a surprise

The music begins
it wafts out of my speakers
filling the basement with your music
and my head with memories

I see you, sitting there
at the keyboards
hitting differnet buttons and switches
in frustration
trying to make magic

and then, you play
and I can see your fingers
lightly touching the keys
and the notes fill the living room

ebony and ivory
bending under your will
and your talent
filling the room with sounds
where before there were none

I sit in the corner
and listen to the melodies
as instrumental music
religious and secular
floats through the living room

You turn off the keyboard
and get up and walk away
expressing dissatisfaction
at imperfect pieces

but I stay in the corner
and close my eyes
as the music still floats through my head
with the image of the man who put it there

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:44 am »
good morning

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2007, 08:50:23 am »
*waves at dev*

Good morning!  How are you today?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2007, 06:51:08 am »
Good morning BetterMost!

Hoping that today finds you in good humor and spirits! 

Trying to get back into focus of diet and exercise, since being off it for the Slash Bash last weekend.  Love the get togethers, and seeing my friends again.  Hugs were exchanged so often, what a great feeling!

Blast from the past for today's music video.  One hit wonder from about 1985, Rebbie Jackson (Michael's oldest sister) and her Top 20 hit, "Centipede".

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_nLi8dHPBg[/youtube]

Today's poem was a challenge to me in November of last year, to write a poem about homelessness.

An Effort To Live

Morning comes and I wake
to the rhythm of the rain
landing on the top of my cardboard box
and a shiver runs up my spine

I take the newspapers
that served as my blanket last night
and stuff them into my shoes
to keep my feet as dry as I can

I grab the plastic bag, which holds my wardrobe
and a cup, which is my bank book
and hit the streets
in an effort to live

You see a garbage can on the corner, I see a buffet
discarded soda, french fries, sandwich
barely enough to stop the growl in my stomach
but it does make it better

Walking around town, shaking my cup
being looked at by strangers
who think I'm crazy, or strung out
not realizing my life has crumbled around me

Sunset, time for bed
that dumpster is my real estate agent
and the cardboard box is my new shelter
hopefully, it won't start raining again

I find an alley and set up house
fetal position to keep myself warm
I close my eyes
and pray that tomorrow will be different

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2007, 07:08:00 am »
Very touching, CellarDweller. It's distressing that there are so many homeless in this wealthy nation where "all men are created equal". It's not a political thing evidently -- Dem or Rep in power -- we still have homeless people. Many are youth, turned away by family or not willing to follow family guidelines. Some are mentally ill; some overtaken by drugs. Others -- just down on their luck, which could be the case for many of us if something changed unexpectedly.  I'm not a pessimist, but I don't see the solution to this sad circumstance. I hope someone does.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2007, 08:12:22 am »
Hiya Shasta.

I wish I could figure something out as well, but nothing really feasible comes to mind.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:38 am »
That was a really good poem Chuck. It really leteralized that mans experence, puts it in terms that hit home.

It is a shame with all the wealth we  have in this country we cannot take care of those who can;t take care of theirselves, we only make a half hearted attempt that creates a system that enslaves people to welfare for generations. We make health care a business and if there is someone without isnurance, they are just SOL.

But hell, I don't have the answers, I can't even wrap my head around the problem completely.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2007, 10:53:39 am »
That was a really good poem Chuck. It really leteralized that mans experence, puts it in terms that hit home.

It is a shame with all the wealth we  have in this country we cannot take care of those who can;t take care of theirselves, we only make a half hearted attempt that creates a system that enslaves people to welfare for generations. We make health care a business and if there is someone without isnurance, they are just SOL.

But hell, I don't have the answers, I can't even wrap my head around the problem completely.
Well, I know this probably won't be a popular thought. However, there is a lot to be said about accountability and personal responsibility. This is the greatest nation on earth in that everyone has the opportunity to better themselves if they choose to.
It's not easy and there are a lot of roadblocks that can be downright unfair. I just don'tt think it is the Governments responsibility to to be all things to all people. What makes the kid who grew up in the ghetto to a teenage mother and then becomes a CEO of a company so different from the other kid in the same housing project who chose a life of crime? He wanted better for himself and made the sacrifices to get where he wanted to be.
I just think in many cases people are where they chose to be.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:26 am »
Well, I know this probably won't be a popular thought. However, there is a lot to be said about accountability and personal responsibility. This is the greatest nation on earth in that everyone has the opportunity to better themselves if they choose to.
It's not easy and there are a lot of roadblocks that can be downright unfair. I just don'tt think it is the Governments responsibility to to be all things to all people. What makes the kid who grew up in the ghetto to a teenage mother and then becomes a CEO of a company so different from the other kid in the same housing project who chose a life of crime? He wanted better for himself and made the sacrifices to get where he wanted to be.
I just think in many cases people are where they chose to be.

I agree with you Rich, I know we live in a free country, we don;t have some authoritarian government telling us what to do, people do overcome the obsitcles of their situation and better theirselves, and I am all for that. People should.

At the same time, I can't understand why our tax dollars go to help people in other countries when we could be taking care of our own.

But please don;t be afraid to speak your mind. The debate in this country has gotten so polarized people gone forget how to speak to each other.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2007, 11:35:49 am »
But please don;t be afraid to speak your mind. The debate in this country has gotten so polarized people gone forget how to speak to each other.

I agree!  I love debate, don't engage in it often, but I do love it.  I think it gives a "wrong" impression of me.

I think people see me as "funny" and "light" but I do like strong debates at times.