Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9224318 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12710 on: January 10, 2014, 09:44:16 am »
I did hear something about the bridge in New Jersey, didn't hear the full story, but thought of you Chuck....so thank you for explaining the story.....I did see a press conference with your governor, where he was denying he was a bully.....

Politics sure gets down and dirty over there.....not saying it doesn't here, but I guess you got many many more politicians over there. Not sure what role a state governor plays in the running of the state over there....we have state governors, but they are given the role, not voted on....their role here is more ceremonial and do not represent a political party.

Thanks again for the story....very interesting.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12711 on: January 10, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »
What Sue said. Not saying politics isn't a dirty business over here - but somethng like this is unthinkable for me. I try to picture a Ministerpräsident (head of a federal country) doing something similar, respectively having his underlings doing it for him. He'd be out of his job within a day after this became public.
Even if they couldn't prove anything to him personally, if said underlings were close enough to him, he'd be gone, period.

When he was campaigning, a number of Democrats supported him (out of fear) but some didn't.

Not getting this part. Why would some Democrats endorse him at all? I mean, it's their first job to oppose him.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12712 on: January 10, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »
Not getting this part. Why would some Democrats endorse him at all? I mean, it's their first job to oppose him.

As a Republican governor he might be able to prevent or delay the flow of state or national money to a municipality with a Democratic mayor who did not support him.

Not to mention the fact that he can be a vicious bully.

Really, right now one reason* that I'm glad I don't live in New Jersey is becuase I don't have to choose between opposing him (because his stance on social issues such as gay marriage is appalling) or supporting him (because he really did step up to the plate after Hurricane Sandy, working with the President for the good of New Jersey no matter what his fellow Republicans thought about it).

*There are other reasons to be glad one doesn't live in New Jersey, but never mind.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12713 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:41 pm »
As a Republican governor he might be able to prevent or delay the flow of state or national money to a municipality with a Democratic mayor who did not support him.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining. A Ministerpräsident over here wouldn't have the power to do so.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12714 on: January 10, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »
Wow thats scary chuck :(
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12715 on: January 10, 2014, 08:37:47 pm »
Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining. A Ministerpräsident over here wouldn't have the power to do so.

The power and powers of governors vary from state to state, because they depend on the individual state constitutions, and each state has its own unique constitution.

There may be other reasons than money for a Democratic mayor to be afraid of the Republican Gov. Christie, but money could be one reason. Actually, another money-related reason might be that when it comes time for the mayor to stand for re-election, Christie might arrange for a lot of money for the campaign of the mayor's Republican opponent. In a country like the U.S, where we are pretty much limited to two parties, that can be very important.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12716 on: January 11, 2014, 11:31:19 am »
Sue and Chrissie, like Jeff said, governors have differing powers here within their state, BUT it is certainly not a ceremonial role.  They ARE held accountable by all citizens as the #1 leader who is supposed to be representing them and fighting for them and protecting them.  It is supposed to be a highly-respected title where the only public headlines a governor should garner, should be positive ones of good things he or she has done.

I don't believe Mr. Christie got that memo...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #12717 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:16 am »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

Ok, this gif made me laugh out loud this morning, I can't explain why, and I don't even know what that clip is from, but when she flips that fan and Patrick the Starfish's face is there in place of her own, I just cry!

Had a good weekend this weekend.   Gave the apartment a nice cleaning, got my shopping done, and found the lights and decorations I wanted for the windows for Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day, and it was all on sale.

;D

How was everyone else this weekend?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12718 on: January 13, 2014, 09:30:07 am »
I did hear something about the bridge in New Jersey, didn't hear the full story, but thought of you Chuck....so thank you for explaining the story.....I did see a press conference with your governor, where he was denying he was a bully.....

Politics sure gets down and dirty over there.....not saying it doesn't here, but I guess you got many many more politicians over there. Not sure what role a state governor plays in the running of the state over there....we have state governors, but they are given the role, not voted on....their role here is more ceremonial and do not represent a political party.

Thanks again for the story....very interesting.

"Bully" is a hot-button word over here now, so Gov. Christie does not want to be assiocated with it, and in his press conference he came off as pretty contrite, but people don't see to be giving him the benefit of the doubt.  Most people feel that if these high ranking people in his office did this, he had to know something about it.  As for what the Governor does, scroll down to my reply to Chrissi.

What Sue said. Not saying politics isn't a dirty business over here - but somethng like this is unthinkable for me. I try to picture a Ministerpräsident (head of a federal country) doing something similar, respectively having his underlings doing it for him. He'd be out of his job within a day after this became public.

Even if they couldn't prove anything to him personally, if said underlings were close enough to him, he'd be gone, period.

I found a site that explains what a Governor's job is, it gives a pretty good explanation.  And as for your point about the Ministerpräsident being kicked out even if it couldn't be proven 100% tired to him, there are people who want Christie out over this.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/government/local-politics/state-governor1.htm

As for why Democrats would endorse him, Jeff's answer says it all.

Really, right now one reason* that I'm glad I don't live in New Jersey is becuase I don't have to choose between opposing him (because his stance on social issues such as gay marriage is appalling) or supporting him (because he really did step up to the plate after Hurricane Sandy, working with the President for the good of New Jersey no matter what his fellow Republicans thought about it).

*There are other reasons to be glad one doesn't live in New Jersey, but never mind.  ;D

There are a few people who are wondering what will happen in 2016 if Christie is picked to represent the Republicans.  Democrats won't like him for the bridge issue, Republicans won't like him for how he got close with Obama during the Sandy aftermath.

Wow thats scary chuck :(

We're actually getting used to him throwing his weight around.  I hope this last throw is what gets him into major trouble.

Sue and Chrissie, like Jeff said, governors have differing powers here within their state, BUT it is certainly not a ceremonial role.  They ARE held accountable by all citizens as the #1 leader who is supposed to be representing them and fighting for them and protecting them.  It is supposed to be a highly-respected title where the only public headlines a governor should garner, should be positive ones of good things he or she has done.

I don't believe Mr. Christie got that memo...

Unfortunately, there are waaaaaaay too many headlines over the stupid things politicians do now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12719 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:45 am »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

How are you all on this fine Tuesday?

It's bowling night, I hope that I can continue what I had last week, which was a decent game!  :D :D :D

I've put out a breakfast spread at work today for everyone.

We do a tradition where if it is your birthday, you bring breakfast.   My bday is tomorrow, but I took breakfast in today because today is the sales meeting and everyone would be in.

I also realized I never gave them a "thank you" breakfast for the support they give me for the AIDS walk, so I combined the two events.

I have out bagels, muffins, crumb cake, fresh fruit, assorted jams, peanut butter, butter, cream cheese, nutella and whipped cream (for the fruit), orange juice, blueberry juice, hot coffee.

Today is actually my dad's birthday.  I have to call him today.