Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8737842 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16670 on: August 17, 2020, 10:39:13 am »
Even the temps are off.  Usually August is about 90 degrees, and today was 70!  Nice and cool, I was able to have the A/C off and keep the windows open all day.

We're about to get some cool days, and I don't like it. High here today will be 75. Brrr!!!

Back to 80s again in a couple of days, then looks like possible cooling toward the end of the week. Around this time of year, you start to get reminders that fall isn't far away. Catalogs with sweaters, back-to-school sales (though weird ones this year), early sunsets. My basil plants, which had been flourishing, need to be harvested before daylight dwindles too much. I'm going to make a bunch of pesto and freeze most of it.

Makes me miss New Orleans, when summer lasts through September, at least. It was weird to hear about "fall festivals" when the temperature was 95 and the trees were green (they stay green there all year). But I'll take that over the way it is here, when Labor Day is the cutoff and suddenly it's fall.

This week is my staycation, and I've got stuff to do almost each day, so far.  LOL

This week is my staycation, too! You're much better than me at pre-scheduling. I have a lot of chores to do and some friends I hope to see, though.

My chores, thankfully, are pretty flexible: clean out old papers and get everything more organized, trim the shrubs and things to straighten up the yard. The hardest part is getting going on them, but once I do it's nice to be working on something that has an immediate impact on my surroundings.

Yesterday, for example, I mowed the lawn. I have one of those old-fashioned push mowers. My neighbor gave me some dirt to fill in a hole and little slope in my yard. I also updated my financial records and sorted through and mostly organized some piles of papers -- still have to finish that endeavor.

Tuesday:  Social Distance lunch with my friends Tina and Bill

What is your social-distance lunch procedure? Do you all bring your lunch, meet in a park and sit at a picnic table, or ...?

Wednesday:  Social Distance lunch with my cousins and mom, and then shopping in the afternoon to get the dashcam for the car.
Friday:  Going to drop the car at the shop, and have them install the camera.

What is the dashcam for? Is it so when you pull somebody over to give them a ticket or something, there'll be a recording of the events?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16671 on: August 17, 2020, 02:25:22 pm »
Inspired by you, Chuck, I'm lining up a few social outings: distanced lunches, coffees, that kind of thing. One friend has been having lung problems and has her 80-year-old mother, who also has lung problems, living with her. So she declined, understandably. But most people seem eager to get out, at least for a coffee or lunch, outdoors and distanced.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16672 on: August 17, 2020, 02:53:56 pm »
We're about to get some cool days, and I don't like it. High here today will be 75. Brrr!!!
That is a normal warm summer day here. I do not like it to be much hotter than that.  90'F is the maximum ever recorded and most years we do not see anything above 85'F
However 50'F is the maximum each day lately, last month of winter and it is a bit hard to get out in to the garden when it feels icy. Yesterday was not too bad as it was sunny and little wind. I actually watered as we have not had much rain this month.  Today I am going hiking so will not feel cold.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16673 on: August 17, 2020, 02:54:28 pm »

I've also been to Berlin, and Potsdam, and liked them both.  Had a great time, and even managed to find some Nena records.  ;D

Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! What a coincidence! :laugh:  Except for the Nena records of course, you'r on your own there.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16674 on: August 17, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »
I've also been to Berlin, and Potsdam, and liked them both.  Had a great time, and even managed to find some Nena records.  ;D

I'll bet the Germans were glad to be rid of them.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16675 on: August 17, 2020, 03:25:06 pm »
I have heard of Heidelberg, though as a typical ignorant American I don't know anything about it.

Seems like it would be a great place to visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg

I knew some of its historical associations (Heidelberg Catechism, Frederick V) but not a whole lot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16676 on: August 17, 2020, 05:47:39 pm »

Ha!!!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16677 on: August 17, 2020, 05:56:25 pm »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16678 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:52 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Two days into 'staycation', and I'm enjoying myself.

Got my shopping done on Monday, and had a social-distance lunch with Tina and Bill today.  :)

I signed onto my work laptop today, after hours, and I was able to clear out some junk emails.   When I signed in on Tuesday, I had 81 unread messages.  I HATE coming back to work  and having a huge amount of emails to sift through, so I sign in (if I'm home) and I delete the ones I can, save the ones I need, and get the number down to something reasonable.  As of today, the 81 were were reduced to 17.

Tomorrow I have another social distance lunch, this one with cousins Maria and Nikki, and my mom is joining us.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16679 on: August 18, 2020, 10:49:37 pm »

Back to 80s again in a couple of days, then looks like possible cooling toward the end of the week. Around this time of year, you start to get reminders that fall isn't far away. Catalogs with sweaters, back-to-school sales (though weird ones this year), early sunsets. My basil plants, which had been flourishing, need to be harvested before daylight dwindles too much. I'm going to make a bunch of pesto and freeze most of it.

Makes me miss New Orleans, when summer lasts through September, at least. It was weird to hear about "fall festivals" when the temperature was 95 and the trees were green (they stay green there all year). But I'll take that over the way it is here, when Labor Day is the cutoff and suddenly it's fall.

Here it was in the low 80s and breezy Monday and today, with nice breezes, so it was really comfortable in the shade.   As for fall festivals, don't know that I'd attend any, but I did notice today that it was getting dark close to 8:00, instead of 9:00 or later, so that's nice.

;D

This week is my staycation, too! You're much better than me at pre-scheduling. I have a lot of chores to do and some friends I hope to see, though.

My chores, thankfully, are pretty flexible: clean out old papers and get everything more organized, trim the shrubs and things to straighten up the yard. The hardest part is getting going on them, but once I do it's nice to be working on something that has an immediate impact on my surroundings.

Yesterday, for example, I mowed the lawn. I have one of those old-fashioned push mowers. My neighbor gave me some dirt to fill in a hole and little slope in my yard. I also updated my financial records and sorted through and mostly organized some piles of papers -- still have to finish that endeavor.

Sounds like you've been keeping busy too! 

What is your social-distance lunch procedure? Do you all bring your lunch, meet in a park and sit at a picnic table, or ...?

Ok, each time I've done a social distance lunch with Tina, we've sat on her front porch.  She has a large porch, and it has a set up with wicker chairs.  I show up with lunch, knock on her door, and sit at one end of the porch, and put the food in the middle on the table.  Tina joins me and sits about 6-8 feet away, and we jut relax and chat and have lunch.

What is the dashcam for? Is it so when you pull somebody over to give them a ticket or something, there'll be a recording of the events?

I've decided to get one after watching quite a few YouTube videos that feature dash cam crash footage.  Some people think this is bizarre viewing habits, but I've learned from watching the videos that most people will try to convince the police that show up that the other driver is at fault, and having footage of the accident on dash cam can really show who is at fault.

There are also a number of vids that show hit and run accidents, and the driver who run would've gotten away, but the dashcam got images of the car and license plate, so the driver could be identitied.

I think that watching these types of videos also make me a more alert driver.  I watch the videos, and try to figure out what's going to happen, and since watching, I've found that I'm leaving more space between cars when I drive, and I'm always keeping watch at different directions.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!