Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734788 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17090 on: April 11, 2021, 01:42:16 pm »
??? ??? ???

Chuck is a wonderful name, a great name, all the Chucks I know (one) are among my favourite people.

But, and this is crucial, it's not my name  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oops. Then I take everything back!

Just kidding -- everything else is still applicable, except my extreme misspelling of Sonja.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17091 on: April 11, 2021, 02:06:05 pm »
First of all...YAY! I'm doing a happy dance for you!!

A lot of young people want to live in the kind of house they grew up in. But fewer and fewer houses like that are available and most young people are being herded into condo towers and megalithic complexes. I know quite a few people in Denver who do group living. My son, who's 29, has never lived by himself until a year ago, when the little carriage house behind my rental house became available. He's loving the single life now. He's getting married next month, so that's coming to an end.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17092 on: April 11, 2021, 02:26:20 pm »
First of all...YAY! I'm doing a happy dance for you!!

A lot of young people want to live in the kind of house they grew up in. But fewer and fewer houses like that are available and most young people are being herded into condo towers and megalithic complexes. I know quite a few people in Denver who do group living. My son, who's 29, has never lived by himself until a year ago, when the little carriage house behind my rental house became available. He's loving the single life now. He's getting married next month, so that's coming to an end.

Thank you!

I told my ex-husband (also a reporter) and he insisted on doing a background search on the buyer. Turns out he's 25 and has a clean criminal record. There actually is someone with the same name who WAS convicted of pedophilia in Wisconsin, but he's 47. This guy is younger than I thought, better looking than he appeared with a mask on, and either owns or helps manage a startuppy business of some kind.

The other thing I thought of is that the four guys are musicians who play in a band together because his fake letter mentioned he likes to play music and imagines himself doing so in my basement. Luckily, the guy two houses down is also a musician, so he might actually like it.

Or possibly they're the owners of the new cafe about to open a few blocks from here. Or they're planning to fix up my house and flip it, which would be easy to do for skilled people because it's in good condition but could use some updated materials.

I'm looking for explanations because, although four 20-something guys living together is pretty normal, I can't imagine why they'd choose this unexciting neighborhood instead of a more happening place filled with other 20-something people.

It all seems potentially bad news to my next-door neighbors, a very nice retired couple, so I feel a bit guilty about that.

Congratulations to your son! How lucky you've been to have him as a neighbor.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17093 on: April 11, 2021, 02:30:56 pm »

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17094 on: April 12, 2021, 10:09:36 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I actually have plans this weekend.

I have friends that are going to host an outdoor gathering this coming weekend (either Saturday or Sunday, depending on the weather).   According to the invite, 98% of the attendees will be double vaxxed at that point.  I'm in the 2%, as I've only received my first vaccine.

Everyone is still asked to bring their masks and hand sanitizers.

I've been asked to make some stromboli.  I will make 4, two traditional pepperoni and cheese, and two meat lovers (pepperoni, sausage, ham, and bacon) and cheese.

It will be nice to get out and do something for a change.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17095 on: April 12, 2021, 10:11:51 pm »
I just sold my house. I was going to put it on the market in the next few weeks and was dreading it -- the hassle of getting it in as perfect condition as possible, keeping it constantly immaculate and having my son do the same, leaving the house with my dog during open houses and showings, etc. But my agent has been spreading the word among fellow agents that I'd be selling it soon. On Tuesday, one asked if she and a buyer could see it in an hour. I said it was totally messy and she said that's OK. So they came, spent about half an hour looking around, then called that night and offered my asking price, plus closing costs and a few other things. He put $10K down and supposedly if he backs out I get to keep the $10K. So it's a huge relief after the nightmarish previous times I tried unsuccessfully to sell it. Houses here are in such short supply and high demand that many are getting multiple offers the day they go on the market, and some are getting bid up over the asking price. I was hoping if I had listed it that might happen. But that's not guaranteed. I might get less, and now this will save me a lot of expenses, not to mention work, fixing it up.

Congrats Katy!!!  That's great news!!!!

My only slight concern is the guy who's buying it. He's this burly guy I guess in his 30s (hard to tell with masks these days) who came alone with the agent. Yesterday he had an inspection done, again came alone and followed the inspectors around. (I don't think they found anything deal-breaking, and the guy committed in advance to taking responsibility for anything they might find.) Along with their offer, the agent sent this letter he had supposedly written that went on very colorfully about everything he was going to enjoy about the house, which suspiciously parroted almost exactly what both I and my agent had emphasized was good about the house. Plus it was in all this flowery language, whereas the guy in person was kind of taciturn. I suspected the agent might have written it. Buyers sometimes include those letters, and to me it's kind of pointless because for all I care they can demolish it and rebuild. But whatever.

So at first I wondered if he's a pedophile. I know -- kind of a big leap, but this is an extremely family-ish neighborhood. Too much so even for me, in fact, so although the location has lots of nice things (walking distance from a lake, a creek, a library, stores, curated artisanal restaurants). I wondered what the appeal would be for a youngish single guy. Neighbors on my block have little kids. I'm three blocks from an elementary school, a middle school and a big park with a playground.

So yesterday when they did the inspection I chatted with the guy's agent while he was off with the inspector. I asked her if he was going to live here alone. She kind of hesitated and said no, he was going to have a friend with him. Whew, I thought, he's gay! That's fine, and a gay man lives alone across the street, so maybe they can be friends.

But later my son said he overheard the guy say he was going to rent out the bedrooms. There are four, and supposedly he'd have three other guys living there with him and paying enough rent to cover the mortgage payments. I guess they'd share the kitchen, dining room and living room.

So that's the weirdest scenario of all. Not as bad as a pedophile, I guess, but why would four single guys want to share a kind of ordinary house in a boring family neighborhood?

Two words:  meth lab. 

Once you're out, if the meth lab blows up, it's not your problem.  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   My first thought was 'whore house'.

We're so classy and optimistic!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17096 on: April 12, 2021, 10:17:07 pm »
My latest theory is that they're going to spiff it up and flip it. It's a good house, no structural problems, great location. But the bathroom and kitchen could use some updating -- countertops, floors, stuff that wouldn't be difficult for anyone with decent skills. If they spent $30-40,000 they could probably sell it for $100K more in this market.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17097 on: April 12, 2021, 10:19:01 pm »
I don't know if he's renting to friends or random strangers but if it's the latter I told my son, who is living with me but will need to find a new place, he should just rent his current room!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17098 on: April 19, 2021, 08:16:14 pm »

A new work week has started.

blech!

:laugh:

Had a nice time this weekend.  The backyard gathering went well.  There was a group of about 14 of us, all sitting at tables outside, each table had four chairs, so everyone had a safe distance.

I ended up staying there almost 8 hours!  :o   and I was the first one to leave!  :o   I think everyone was so happy to be out and seeing people, that they couldn't bring themselves to leave.   :laugh:

Sunday was the usual.  Visit to my parents, and get the laundry done.   Other than that, not much is going on.

I'll be seeing some friends again on Saturday.   Nothing as big as last Saturday, it's someone having a yard sale, there will only be about 5 or 6 of us there hanging out.  We'll be masked for when customers come up, but  otherwise, we'll just be hanging out and talking.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17099 on: April 25, 2021, 08:47:05 pm »

I hope y'all had a good weekend!

I went over to my friends' house for their yard sale on Saturday.  I thought I would be there for a few hours, but I was there from noon until about 9:00!  :o   However, everyone else was there that long too, so I didn't just hang around after everyone else lef.t

:laugh:

Today was the usual routine of laundry and lunch with mom and dad.  Mom wasn't in the mood to make lunch, so we ended up ordering food out and they went to pick it up.  Mom and dad were in the mood for hot dogs, so we had hot dogs and fries for lunch.

Back to work tomorrow, and then on Wednesday dad and I are going for our second vaccines.  It remains to be seen how we'll be feeling on Thursday and Friday.