Author Topic: Do You Support The Death Penalty?  (Read 167859 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« Reply #230 on: November 13, 2007, 11:31:28 pm »
Let me put it this way, if one of your children grew up to be a murderer, would you stop loving that child?

No. But my child is someone I already loved. A stranger who becomes a murderer is different -- I didn't love the stranger in the first place.

I think I have a problem with this "love" thing. I don't love strangers. Heck, I don't even love Nelson Mandella! What I feel toward Nelson Mandella is more like, say, admiration. So OK. But why would I admire a murderer?

If you're saying I should respect the murderer's basic humanity to the extent of not wanting him executed or tortured, then fine, I'm with you there, it's what I've been saying along. But to my mind there's a vast difference between not wanting someone executed and loving them.

Also, I think I disagree with at least what I interpret as the implications of this:

I was saying that we should recognize that we are all in the same boat and that all of us are capable of doing horrible things if the circumstances are right.  I never suggested that what Dahmer and Mandella did with their lives was in any way equal.

I think all of us are capable of doing bad things, even horrible things, under certain circumstances. But I don't think we're all equally capable of committing equal degrees of horror. I don't think Nelson Mandella would turn into Jeffrey Dahmer under any circumstances -- unless you can stretch those circumstances to include mental illness so severe that Nelson Mandella is basically no longer Nelson Mandella. But that's pretty unlikely.

So let's say Nelson Mandella beats up some bikers at the Fourth of July fireworks. That's bad. But he's not going to kidnap and murder a bunch of young men. And to me, to say we're all capable of doing bad things loses much of its meaning if that potential badness isn't at least close to equal.

Nor can I agree with the idea that Jeffrey Dahmer and Nelson Mandella differ merely in the particular environmental circumstances they've encountered. Nelson Mandella has encountered some pretty harsh circumstances. But they're different people. I think one is hardwired to do more bad, the other to do more good. And therefore something in my attitude toward the two -- whether you call it love, respect, admiration, whatever -- is going to reflect that.

So isn't it enough to say I just don't hate Jeffrey Dahmer (and of course, like you, I'm just using Jeffrey Dahmer as a stand-in for all heinous criminals)? Why am I morally obliged to love him?

OK, I'm with you in the sense that in our society, we consider some things unacceptable.  But I can't say that they're moral absolutes simply because it's only we that think so.  We consider other people's morals wrong, but on what 'moral' high ground are we standing on to say so?

Whoa! Where did the first-person plural come from? I've been talking about what I consider moral imperatives. I don't necessarily agree with what our society thinks is. I'm not even sure our society thinks cohesively enough about this to say that anyone in it agrees about morals in anything but a vague way.

Everyone has his or her own moral imperatives -- that is, unless they're moral relativists, who would say that there are no moral imperatives, that what's right and wrong change with the particular circumstances. Actually, I'm a moral relativist myself about some issues (honoring they father and they mother, for example). But I think that all that stuff is up to every individual to decide for him/herself.

We live in a Republic more than a democracy.  We have high goals of everyone being equal and treated equally under the law, but we're still a ways from that actually being the case, so injustices abound.  But that doesn' t mean we should totally abandon the experiment.

Exactly. That's why if there are inequalities in the system, we don't just shrug and say that's inevitable. We try to eliminate them.

But here's something I agree with you about, Delalluvia:

Somewhat less?  I'm sorry Gary you only need to read the statistics of the percentage of what gender is in prison and who in the world commits the most violence.  That isn't a sweetness and light bias - which I never claimed in the first place.  And note, you only had homophobic remarks from women.  How many have actually offered you violence?

Women are waaayyyy less likely to commit violent acts. This is not to say women are morally superior to men in any (other) way. It's even possible that women support others committing violent acts -- war, capital punishment -- in equal proportions to men. They may have danced at 9/11. But when it comes to doing violence themselves, women are far less likely to do it.

(The one kind of violence women are more likely to commit is child abuse -- physical, not sexual. But one widely held explanation for this is that women tend to spend much more time around children than men do.)

injest

« Reply #231 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:39 pm »
yes, we (people in general) do tend to take the easy path over the difficult one.

and for the record, I don't support the death penalty...but not for your reasons..only because we can not be sure that we are not executing an innocent person, and because rich, white men so rarely get executed...

injest

« Reply #232 on: November 13, 2007, 11:44:21 pm »
and to me executing ONE innocent person negates any possible good that would come from executing a hundred guillty ones..

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #233 on: November 14, 2007, 12:01:03 am »

Exactly. That's why if there are inequalities in the system, we don't just shrug and say that's inevitable. We try to eliminate them.

Of course, I'm not saying that we just ignore them.  But inequalities in a system run by falliable humans are inevitable.  To strive for perfection is a worthwhile goal, but it's also a foolish one because there is no such thing as achievable perfection.  We should try to make something the very best that we can but we will never reach perfection.  Mistakes, as they say, are the cost of doing business.  You play you pay.

But here's something I agree with you about, Delalluvia:

Women are waaayyyy less likely to commit violent acts. This is not to say women are morally superior to men in any (other) way. It's even possible that women support others committing violent acts -- war, capital punishment -- in equal proportions to men. They may have danced at 9/11. But when it comes to doing violence themselves, women are far less likely to do it.

(The one kind of violence women are more likely to commit is child abuse -- physical, not sexual. But one widely held explanation for this is that women tend to spend much more time around children than men do.)

Agree.  That's also why the authorities instruct parents to tell their children that if they ever get lost or need help and a family member isn't available and the child has to turn to a stranger for help, they advise that the child seek out a female stranger.  The older the better.  These women are least likely to offer the child any harm and will likely stay with the child until she is assured that the child is safe.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #234 on: November 14, 2007, 12:08:00 am »

I dont like being generalized, and talked about like im not in the room....because I happen to be the soul
opposite person on this parade.  I am not talking about all the criminals...I am only mentioning it in regards to
less than 1/2 of 1% of the entire criminal population that have done murder and mayhem...The ones in spite
of all the talk to the contrary...are not rehabilitatable.  The evil ones...the compulsive one..many of whom dont
have the ability to control their own iimpulses.  Some of them choose to die rather than fight for the appeals,
and court cases...They cannot stand themselves, and know that their mind is so screwed up they dont have
the ability to stop...Its not for everyone, to have this happen to them....Many of these people have killed lots
of people, and when they get in prison continue to do the same...what can society, do to protect the other
members of their society, in or out of the system....??  You cant just say oh well never mind........

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #235 on: November 14, 2007, 12:24:47 am »
and to me executing ONE innocent person negates any possible good that would come from executing a hundred guillty ones..

Except for the body count.

I used to think this, too, until one man could murder 30 children.  Or one man could fly a plane into a building and kill 1500 people, or one man angry at the government could blow up an entire building full of men, women and children... :(

injest

« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2007, 12:30:54 am »

I dont like being generalized, and talked about like im not in the room....because I happen to be the soul
opposite person on this parade.  I am not talking about all the criminals...I am only mentioning it in regards to
less than 1/2 of 1% of the entire criminal population that have done murder and mayhem...The ones in spite
of all the talk to the contrary...are not rehabilitatable.  The evil ones...the compulsive one..many of whom dont
have the ability to control their own iimpulses.  Some of them choose to die rather than fight for the appeals,
and court cases...They cannot stand themselves, and know that their mind is so screwed up they dont have
the ability to stop...Its not for everyone, to have this happen to them....Many of these people have killed lots
of people, and when they get in prison continue to do the same...what can society, do to protect the other
members of their society, in or out of the system....??  You cant just say oh well never mind........

well, here is the thing...I do think there are some cases that are SOO clear cut...so beyond doubt that the person should be executed...our quintessential mass murderer, Jeffery Dahmer for example...but what galls me is these guys dont' GET executed...they get life in prison....

that gets to me. and is one of the reasons I object to the death penalty the way it is applied now

I could support it under some circumstances...but they would have to be very narrow and a lot more rare than now. I think it should be saved for extreme cases...(I think we are in agreement on that?)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2007, 12:49:07 am »

And I thought I made it clear that I thought men were more likely to commit acts of violence.  I only meant to point out that doesn't mean that women don't have dark impulses.  I'm sorry if I can across as a little too blunt in my post.  I was feeling a bit peevish.  I've been trying very hard to put my thoughts into words, and I've written quite a lot here in the last few days.  So to have someone show up, sift through all my posts and then came back at me and say simply that men are the ones who are warlike, as if that had anything to do with the main thrust of anything I had said, simply rubbed me the wrong way.  (And I know that you're not the one who did it, so I'm sorry if I misplaced my anger.)  And given the fact that I'm a man who has been talking about loving your neighbor, and not judging people, and how the death penalty is wrong...  I was put on the defensive.

Sorry if my words came across as sharp.

Gary     

Yes, you did come across as pretty defensive.  Sorry, but I don't like women to be generalized especially when you are going on about the problems in this world and include women in sharing the blame for it when the majority of the blame for much of the violence in this world is clearly on the male of the species.  Sorry if you took this personally, but so did I.

injest

« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2007, 12:51:41 am »
ya'll both were generalizing...I of course NEVER do....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*Jess runs for the hills*

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2007, 01:00:04 am »
Hey, when I spoke of my own personal views about love being the basis for morality, that was simply me sharing with you my view of the world.  I wasn't trying to proselytize.  And I've already admitted that I fall short of my own goals, so I certainly don't want to judge you for not being able to love the whole of humanity. 

... Sorry if my words came across as sharp.

OK, Gary, thanks. It did sound like you might be getting a little upset, so I appreciate your explaining.

I tend to argue these things ... well, not really just for the sake of arguing, but certainly partly for the enjoyment of debating an interesting issue. I really like pulling things apart this way and examining how our beliefs might change -- or not -- once we are looking at the individual pieces. It's kind of a fun exercise, for me, in analysis and logic and philosophical exchange. So although I'm a strong opponent of the death penalty I don't usually get too emotional in these discussions -- unless of course they turn personal.

I know some people feel differently. They get more emotional, more passionate. And sometimes, that contrast can lead to hard feelings. So I'm glad you cleared that up.

But honestly, I didn't think you were proselytizing, nor did I feel defensive about not feeling the same way you do. I just figured you were explaining your vision of morality and I was explaining mine. So for example, whereas you feel we should at least try to love all humans, even the ones who do wrong, I feel we're under no obligation to love them, just to treat them fairly and humanely (which entails, of course, not killing them).