Author Topic: Do You Support The Death Penalty?  (Read 166263 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2008, 08:20:27 pm »
Death penalty is needed more and more to those who murdered many for nothing !

Offline Artiste

« Reply #321 on: November 07, 2008, 12:04:21 pm »
Isn't it nescessary in certain cases ?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #322 on: November 19, 2008, 08:47:41 am »
No, no, no

We haven´t executed anyone here in Sweden in over a hundred years, for which I´m very glad.

And to those who say that the death penelty is a mean to scare people off from killing each other; We don´t have a high crime rate here in Sweden even though we don´t have the death penalty. Crimes are prevented through education, by a good social well-fare system and by trying to create a society where everyone can lead a decent life.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2008, 10:55:17 am »
And to those who say that the death penelty is a mean to scare people off from killing each other; We don´t have a high crime rate here in Sweden even though we don´t have the death penalty. Crimes are prevented through education, by a good social well-fare system and by trying to create a society where everyone can lead a decent life.

Amen to that sister.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2008, 11:04:39 am »
Isn't it nescessary in certain cases ?

For once in my life Artiste I,m going to agree with you. The death penalty for the scum of the earth such as paedophiles, hanging the bastards by their scrawny necks (having cut their dicks off with a rusty chainsaw first) is the only answer. If that makes me a bad person, too bad.  I,d happily pull the rope.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2008, 11:16:21 am »
Surprised !

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2008, 11:22:48 am »
It's kind of hard to educate career criminals who don't care if they live or die, and consequently don't care if you do either. 

Not to speak for Monika here, but I'm pretty sure she spoke of general crime prevention, not of convicted career criminals. At least that's how I understood her and that's what I agreed with.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2008, 11:26:01 am »
It's kind of hard to educate career criminals who don't care if they live or die, and consequently don't care of you do either.  I disagree.  The death penalty may not be a deterrent, but it is a solution.

In what way does it matter then if they spend their lives in jail instead of killing them?
Society should defend themselves aganst criminals, that should be the point of the court system, not to kill them off.

And I can see how killing criminals seems like an "easier" solution (if you could ever call taking a human life that) than to put money into resources to work proactive, to fight crime before it happens. That is much harder, but I for one is not willing to throw in the towl and go "naw, let´s just kill them instead".

And the death penalty really isn´t a solution. The crime has already been commited so it´s too late to do anything about that, and as has been proved in many surveys, the death penalty does not scare other people off from commiting crimes.

and..

it has been prooven that innocent people have been executed

and even criminals have families.

Up until 2005 it was even legal to execute 16 year olds in US, that has since then changed at least

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28:28 am »
Not to speak for Monika here, but I'm pretty sure she spoke of general crime prevention, not of convicted career criminals. At least that's how I understood her and that's what I agreed with.
Yes, that´s what I meant.

karen1129

« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2008, 11:35:45 am »
I am conflicted at time regarding the death penalty.  
I live in the state of Texas that executes more people then any other state.

I do not believe it is a deterrent. People who commit crimes, and murder people  just aren't thinking they
will get caught.

There are people that just deserve the death penalty.  Kenneth McDuff here in Texas was one of those
that truly deserved to die for his crimes.

I do have to admit though, if I was on a jury where the death penalty came up, I would really need some
very good proof that that person is indeed guilty.