Author Topic: What's your favorite french fry condiment?  (Read 19673 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: What's your favorite french fry condiment?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 12:52:09 pm »
You should try:

I didn't think of it but I love it on my fries! Sometimes I just mix it with the mayo!!

Yep, that's the Cajun Seasoning I was referring to.  I used Tony Chachere on everything.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 12:54:39 pm »
I like Ketchup and lots of salt, sometime I will use Lawry Seasoned Salt or Popcorn Salt.  Cheese and Emerils Essence is good too, especially when your having them while watching a movie instead of popcorn... And sometimes I just love old fashioned buttermilk ranch dressing for dipping them.  Never tried Old Bay on my fries, love it on seafood tho. 
;D

I am just thinking about mixing a little Old Bay into mayo...now there's an intriguing idea...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 12:58:17 pm »
My fav is ketchup, but I also like mayo. And sometimes both, ketchup and mayo on one portion. And sometimes I like gravy with my fries, but not too often.

Mustard on fries sounds like a sacrilege to me  ::) (Hi L  :laugh:)

What do you do with mustard, anyway? You had it in your refrigerator but nixed it on pretzels, nixed it on sandwiches, and now, nixed for french fries! Is that jar just for decoration? I thought Germans LOVED mustard! LOL

The thought of vinegar on fries makes me squirm, lol  :laugh:

Eh, you should try it. It is very popular in Quebec, so all the french fry places around here usually have vinegar handy. They even have it at McDonald's! My daughter is a french fries with vinegar person. She doesn't like ketchup at all.

But cheese on fries makes me curious. I don't know how to picture it. Melted cheese? Or cheese from a tube? (I've seen cheese from a tube in American series  :-X)

Here's a picture, from the New York Times. Cheese fries are a regional thing. I doubt you could buy them here in Maine, and you could never find them with gravy.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 01:01:08 pm »
I eat my fries, or chips as us Brits call them, with salt, vinegar and HP sauce. Yum. :)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 02:41:54 pm »
Malt vinegar is very traditional with fries/chips especially when eaten with fried fish, clams or oysters.  You just sprinkle on a bit so they don't get soggy.  The vinegar cuts any greasy taste very well. 

I'm sure a lot of our preferences are regional.  I personally can't imagine fries with mayo.  You're very unlikely to see that in New England.  Ketchup all the way. 

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 03:04:26 pm »
I personally can't imagine fries with mayo. 

Me either.  :P (Of course, I'm not too fond of mayo to begin with.)

Fries with gravy, or fries with melted cheese, are very much a "diner" thing, I guess.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 03:14:11 pm »
Me either.  :P (Of course, I'm not too fond of mayo to begin with.)

Fries with gravy, or fries with melted cheese, are very much a "diner" thing, I guess.
I loooove mayo!
I can eat it on most anything! LOL
I like chicken nuggets and mayo and mayon on my hot dogs.
A sammitch aint a sammitch without mayo!
Except of course salami, then I have to have mustard!  ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 03:32:48 pm »
Any particular brand you care to recommend? Grey Poupon, Gulden's Spicy Brown, French's Yellow Mustard or something else? (LOL, I feel like I am on the ABCs food court game with that list!)

L

Any brand of yellow mustard will do.  (I just found a "Y" word for the game.)  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 03:55:32 pm »
What do you do with mustard, anyway? You had it in your refrigerator but nixed it on pretzels, nixed it on sandwiches, and now, nixed for french fries! Is that jar just for decoration? I thought Germans LOVED mustard! LOL

:laugh:
Mustard is for Wurst. And since we Germans have a huge variety of Wurst and eat it often, we eat mustard often.
From left to right: Bierschinken, Lyoner, geräucherte Rohwurst, Weißwurst, Bratwurst and Wienerle.

The last kind, Wienerle, is used for hot-dogs. And mustard, mayo and ketchup all belong on a hot-dog.
I also use mustard as a spice for a vinaigrette and I spread it thinly on roulades before I fill them.
So, it's not only for decoration  ;D

Here's a picture, from the New York Times. Cheese fries are a regional thing. I doubt you could buy them here in Maine, and you could never find them with gravy.

Doesn't look too inviting .... but I'd try it anyway (as long as it's not cheese from a tube)

mvansand76

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 04:04:31 pm »
My favorites:

Mayo and apple sauce

Mayo and Indonesian peanut sauce!

:)