Author Topic: How to replace too much booze in the gay world??  (Read 28123 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
How to replace too much booze in the gay world??
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:21:05 am »
I repeat: how to replace too much booze in the gay world??

Many gay men go to bars or drink at home. Too many!! To me, that needs to be changed.

How??

Hugs!!

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: How to replace too much booze in the gay world??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:50:59 am »

Hugs!!

You anwered your own question!!!!   ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:16:42 am »
Any other ways??

??

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:39:16 pm »
Any other ways??

??

Hugs!!
This is a good question and certainly not unique to the gay world. People of all stripes get waylaid by too much booze. Some good replacements: exercise, socializing (one does not need to drink in order to have a good conversation with another; in fact the opposite effect happens), enjoying the outdoors, literature, spirituality, art, philosophy, cooking, gardening, taking care of others and volunteer work, study, home improvement, hobbies, art, music, performing, sports and recreation, travel, reading, movies, in fact, the whole process of living! 
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:52:46 pm »

Right you are friend Lee!!!    The society at large thinks in terms of the fact you cant
have a good time unless you are drinking.  It is not unique to the gay world...I know for a fact
I have often felt like I was an outsider, simply because I dont drink...?           :'(

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:06:36 pm »
Both of you have great thoughts on this subject.

I think that boozing to have a good time must be a myth or ways, that needs to be changed to: have a REAL GOOD TIME!!

Of course, each individual can do as you mention... vary his/her life! But one wants sex... and too many find booze to have it! And to find another for that!

I now stay away from booze and boozers!!

I feel that gays could, and should, organise more into groups like baseballers I saw once in Toronto; like one or more gay men who organizised a Sunday afternoon tea and so many came; only two examples.

Instead of seeking booze to communicate to find buddy/sex/lover/and/or pal, in bars or at home, yes one can create like I do creating paintings alone or with another or others. Can you give more examples?

Hugs!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 02:12:02 pm »
In many larger cities there are more outlets such as those you mentioned for gay people to socialize. I remember the first time I went to a Pride even I was amazed, I had never seen some of those people in the daylight before.

Exercize is a good thing too, it boosts the sense of well being and counteracts the depressing effects of alcohol. I'll take a hot sweaty man over a drunk well dressed one anytime. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 06:39:09 pm »
In many larger cities there are more outlets such as those you mentioned for gay people to socialize. I remember the first time I went to a Pride even I was amazed, I had never seen some of those people in the daylight before.

Exercize is a good thing too, it boosts the sense of well being and counteracts the depressing effects of alcohol. I'll take a hot sweaty man over a drunk well dressed one anytime. 

very good point! About 7 years ago,my doctor FORCED me to exercise in order to reduce killer cholesterol and deal with depression....and I have found to my delight that I felt so much better, hardly ever drink, and I sure do like the men that I meet jogging, walking, cycling, etc.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 06:51:50 pm »
Thanks brokeplex and Shakesthegfround!!

Great! Great! Are your thoughts!!

Any more??

Hugs!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 07:20:37 pm »
This is from a fictional storyline about gay characters (Jules & Robin) from Suz Brockmann's HOT TARGET and FORCE OF NATURE, but it makes real life sense to me.  Robin is an alcoholic; his mother was an alcoholic so he has a genetic-predisposition toward alcoholism anyway.  Robin drinks because he's in denial of his true nature, his homosexuality.  He goes on a journey from lying to himself, through admitting he is gay to himself but remaining in the closet to all but a couple of trusted friends and family.  He feels like the success of his career depends on him staying in the closet.  But eventually he accepts himself, comes out, and embraces sobriety.  He no longer needs alcohol to help him numb feelings for which he has no other outlet.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."