Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130552 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 08:37:20 pm »
A few years ago I heard something really smart about diet.  5-7 servings of vegetables/fruit and 6-8 glasses of water are recommended per day, right?  If you start with that and add on other foods (your protein, etc), there's very little room in your stomach for junk!

(easier said than done of course, but a place to start...)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 04:49:28 pm »
Lots of vegetables is definitially a good thing and I love vegetables. I'm a big bread eater also. I do stick to whole grains (mostly) but I can make a meal out of anything as long as I have bread.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 05:39:37 pm »
ooooh weight ins... am I brave enough? hmm......
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:47 am »
Okay - so I'm def eating better at work and my evening meals - but I'm still being bad and having bad snacks at night.

I having cereal for breakfast homemade soup for lunch and fruit at work - no biscuits with my cups of tea. and a decent meal at night.

I'm really aggrevated by this extra weight now.

I need to shift 7lbs to get back to the way I was before my hols I think if not a little more- how do I do it quickly guys without being totaaly silly - I do not want to do slimfats.

I aksed in the comfort food threads...  can anyone think of a good desireable snack that is really nice which is healthy? That I can eat when i want to be naughty? but not really? There is onl so many pieces fo fruit you can eat! I need somthign to munch on nt the evenign with my cuppa tea.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 04:41:36 pm »
I'm thinking about going to a gym and getting a personal trainer in the New Year.

This last 30lbs is killing me.

I've lost 85lbs already, but need to lose 30 more.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 04:59:36 pm »
oooh can I join?  I started back on my diet on my birthday (Dec 2) and have been faithful since then.  I try not to think or talk too much about my efforts until I actually have some time in on it, and since it's been over two weeks and I am doing okay, I finally weighed myself and announced that I am on track.

Unlike many people I am a notoriously successful dieter - all I have to do is keep on it and not deprive myself too much or miss meals.  For me it's lots and lots of salad, with lunch and dinner, and keeping control of the bread.  Nowadays that is relatively easy to do since the only bread I can eat is gluten free and I just have to limit how much of it I bake.  For me it is a really long term project though....!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 05:50:51 pm »
Oh, Kelda. Talk about sitting at a desk all day!
The hours I don't spend in front of a computer, I seem to spend in my car.  ::)

Anyway, you know, something has to change when hardly any of your favourite jeans fit anymore. That's the case with me at the moment. Five or six pounds less would already make me happy. I just want to try and walk a bit more and go swimming more regularly. I know, I can't keep a diet, though. So I won't even try.

;)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:48:39 pm »
can anyone think of a good desireable snack that is really nice which is healthy? That I can eat when i want to be naughty? but not really?

low fat microwave or air popped Popcorn, no salt, no sugar, no butter...and best of all VERY filling and little to no calories  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 12:24:29 am »
High protein, low carbs does it for me.

That and working out 3-4 days a week.  The weight loss is very dramatic if I work out 4-5 days a week, but I'm so lazy, looking like a goddess is less attractive than lying on my couch doing nothing but reading.  So I barely manage 3 days a week and accordingly, the weight is always slow to come off - like .75 to 1 lb per week.  I do weight training for 20 minutes and 30 minutes of aerobic activity - walking, biking, etc.

And don't believe people when they tell you - "oh, losing 1 pound a week is the best way to do it.  That way you keep it off longer."

Pshaw!

Two weeks of non-strict eating had me gain 5 lbs just like that.

:P

Unfortunately, with my ethnic background and my mother's genetics, I'm prone to getting heavy easily,  so watching my weight is a daily battle that I will wage every day of my life for the rest of my life, and it's not easy to do.  I have to keep a strict diet and exercise.  There is no getting around either of those.

And my sister just informed me that Xmas dinner will be at a relative's and it's going to be Italian.

I can't eat anything classic Italian.  It's all carbs, breads, pastas which I can't touch without my blood sugar going ballistic.  We're trying to figure out what I can take to that dinner that I can actually eat.  Salad, maybe ham...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 01:28:59 pm »
I can't eat anything classic Italian.  It's all carbs, breads, pastas which I can't touch without my blood sugar going ballistic.  We're trying to figure out what I can take to that dinner that I can actually eat.  Salad, maybe ham...

Salads are always good, especially when they are not made with just the 'boring' greens.  :)
I love a good red/green salad tossed with chunks of grilled chicken, avocado, cucumber, as well as red/yellow peppers.  Keeps your blood sugar under control and leaves you feeling satisfied.  And it's healthy (as long as the dressing is not extravagantly high in fat).