Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130560 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2008, 02:55:13 pm »
Time to revive this thread! My fall resolution is to walk/run 20 miles a week. My son does 300 a week on his bike, so I think I can manage 20!

Good luck.  I must say though, bicycling is a lot easier than walking.  I can barely manage to walk 9-12 miles per week.  At my pace, to walk 20 miles per week, that would be walking for an hour a day, 4 days a week.  Great exercise, but extremely time consuming. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2008, 03:07:41 pm »
Time to revive this thread! My fall resolution is to walk/run 20 miles a week. My son does 300 a week on his bike, so I think I can manage 20!

20 is a fair amount Lee. And remeber walking takes longer than cycling!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2008, 03:54:25 pm »
Cycling, particularly long distance or rugged terrain cycling, can be extremely damaging to the knees.  I know - I have the childhood of long distance cycling and the adult bad knees to show for it.  My doctor tells me that the best weight-management and cardio exercise is walking on the flat.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2008, 11:09:14 pm »
That is certainly true, although cycling is easier on the knees than walking or running, IMHO. I can go nearly any distance level or up without hurting my knees, but downhill is the worst. In fact, I was reading about the new craze of skiing the fourteeners, where extreme athletes climb the mountains in Colorado above 14,000 ft in elevation in the winter and then ski down. A new book has just been published on the subject. It's something I would like to try, but I instead want to cross-country ski on downhill trails, rather than attempt the couloirs, which require steely nerves, thighs of steel, and great skill.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2008, 03:52:26 pm »
Now to discuss the "lose weight" section of this topic. I have found that I almost never lose any weight no matter how little I eat. I also rarely gain weight if I eat more, unless I eat a lot on a regular basis every day. My metabolism just adjusts itself so I burn more or less calories based on how much I take in. The only way I can lose weight is by exercising, and it has to be strenuous exercise done often over a concentrated period of time. None of this walking for 30 minutes a day two or three times a week. That just does not have any kind of effect on my body.

Anybody have any advice or stories about what worked for you?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2008, 03:55:52 pm »
Now to discuss the "lose weight" section of this topic. I have found that I almost never lose any weight no matter how little I eat. I also rarely gain weight if I eat more, unless I eat a lot on a regular basis every day. My metabolism just adjusts itself so I burn more or less calories based on how much I take in. The only way I can lose weight is by exercising, and it has to be strenuous exercise done often over a concentrated period of time. None of this walking for 30 minutes a day two or three times a week. That just does not have any kind of effect on my body.

Anybody have any advice or stories about what worked for you?

Yeah earlier on this thread.  I'm at the age where working out and dieting work very little on their own.  Together, though, they work great.  Unfortunately, doing both is a great sacrifice for me since I like to do neither.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2008, 02:32:46 pm »
Yeah earlier on this thread.  I'm at the age where working out and dieting work very little on their own.  Together, though, they work great.  Unfortunately, doing both is a great sacrifice for me since I like to do neither.

I read your earlier posts, della. Good advice! I am fortunate to not have a carb addiction. Up until recently, I was eating a high protein diet. But lately I have substituted soy milk for some of the protein. I'm also trying to cut out one meal per day, primarily by eating brunch and dinner only. Sometimes I even manage to just eat a big lunch and that's my only meal. If there is something entertaining going on after work, I do that instead and then I don't miss dinner.

The rules Chuck posted also sound great to me:

If I remember right, he said he had 4 "golden rules" to follow.

#1.  Eat what you want.

#2.  Eat when you are hungry.

#3.  Eat consciously.

#4.  When you are no longer hungry, stop eating.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2008, 03:20:41 pm »
I read your earlier posts, della. Good advice! I am fortunate to not have a carb addiction. Up until recently, I was eating a high protein diet. But lately I have substituted soy milk for some of the protein. I'm also trying to cut out one meal per day, primarily by eating brunch and dinner only. Sometimes I even manage to just eat a big lunch and that's my only meal. If there is something entertaining going on after work, I do that instead and then I don't miss dinner.

The rules Chuck posted also sound great to me:

I'm kinda on the fence about soy.  I tried soymilk for a time - thinking it was lower carb than regular milk - but there's a lot of sugar in it.  So I got the sugarless kind and it tastes like freshly squeezed nut juice  :-X  instead of a milk substitute.  So I switched to a low carb milk product that has real milk in it and the taste of milk and only 5 carbs or so.

Plus, the research on soy - whether it is good for women with a family/history of breast cancer or not - is still not conclusive, so I finally stopped my soy eating. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2008, 06:42:43 pm »
Hmmm I'd like to know the name of that milk substitute. I can only tolerate a certain amount of milk, especially skim milk. I can eat all the yogurt and cheese I want, though.

Well, I just managed to walk and run 13 miles this week rather than the 20 that was my goal. It felt really good though. All but five miles I logged on the treadmill; the rest during lunchtime at work. I would have had more time for working out but had two holiday parties. In the coming week I am going to yet two more holiday parties. Between the running and partying, I have NO time for shopping, or working either!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2008, 07:22:23 pm »
Hmmm I'd like to know the name of that milk substitute. I can only tolerate a certain amount of milk, especially skim milk. I can eat all the yogurt and cheese I want, though.

Well, I just managed to walk and run 13 miles this week rather than the 20 that was my goal. It felt really good though. All but five miles I logged on the treadmill; the rest during lunchtime at work. I would have had more time for working out but had two holiday parties. In the coming week I am going to yet two more holiday parties. Between the running and partying, I have NO time for shopping, or working either!!

http://www.hphood.com/promos/caloriecountdown/default.aspx?id=1468

It's hard to find in my area.  I had to chase it down.  Back when the low carb craze was at its highest, every local grocery store carried it.  Now only one - Kroger - does.