Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130498 times)

Offline coffeedrinkintexan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Sweet beautiful Jack, sweet beautiful Ennis
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2015, 03:48:28 pm »
For Lent I gave up a particularly sweet caffeinated soda that has been my vice for years now. (I don't give things up for Lent every year, but when I do I try to make it something meaningful.)

I need to get back to the gym. With all the schoolwork I've had lately that has kind of fallen by the wayside. For a while I was doing 4-5miles on the elliptical 4-5days/week and feeling really good.

Goal weight is still far away, but I'm hoping giving up the soda and getting back to the gym will kick start it. The rest of my diet is honestly pretty healthy. We have tons of fruit/veggies around and apart from the soda, we eat 'real food' - very little processed or artificial ingredients. It's just that damn soda.

This is Day 3 without it. They say the first 3 days are the worst. Fingers crossed.  :P
"You got a better idea?"   "I did once."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2015, 09:26:19 am »
Well, it's just about that time of year again, the time my body starts to crave carbs.  :-\

My weight is definitely trending up. The trousers are getting a bit tight.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »
So, of course, here I am pissing and moaning about my weight trending upward, so what did I do today? At farmers' market I bought a slice of shoo-fly pie to have for dessert after dinner this evening, and a sticky bun for breakfast tomorrow morning!  :laugh:

( I gotta laugh at myself. ...)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »
I thought they sold fruit and vegetables at the farmers market, not shoo-fly pie and sticky buns? Perhaps I should quote to you from the article I was reading this morning about where most GMO foods are derived from corn, soy, or sugar beets. Anything with corn syrup, soy flour or milk, or sugar, is suspect. That includes meat, fish, chicken, etc., which are fed GMO-treated feed.

I don't have a quarrel with genetically modified foods per se. Hybridization of plants has yielded some vast improvements. But things have gotten out of control. Factory farmed plants are treated so they are immune to certain herbicides. That in itself is neither bad nor good, but then planes fly over the crops dousing them with herbicides to kill the weeds. So the plant grows up in a wash of chemicals.  :P
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2015, 06:33:21 pm »
I thought they sold fruit and vegetables at the farmers market, not shoo-fly pie and sticky buns?

I wish I had stock in the Amish baked-goods stand at Reading Terminal farmers' market. They practically mint money with all the breads and cakes and pies and other Amish-made baked goods that they sell. Frequently customers are lined up three deep in front of that stand.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2015, 07:29:15 pm »
On second thought, shoo-fly pie might earn a pass. I was just reading in the Farmers Almanac that it's made with molasses, not corn sugar. Molasses is not popular enough to get the GMO treatment.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2015, 09:29:19 pm »
On second thought, shoo-fly pie might earn a pass. I was just reading in the Farmers Almanac that it's made with molasses, not corn sugar. Molasses is not popular enough to get the GMO treatment.

Yup. Molasses is a by-product of sugar refining.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2015, 10:32:43 pm »
Yup. Molasses is a by-product of sugar refining.

Oh bummer. If it's a byproduct of sugar cane refining, then it's probably all right. But the overwhelming majority of sugar beets are GMO.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2015, 03:02:40 am »
Oh bummer. If it's a byproduct of sugar cane refining, then it's probably all right. But the overwhelming majority of sugar beets are GMO.

As far as I know, it's a by-product of sugar can refining. You make rum by distilling molasses. I never heard of getting molasses from sugar beets.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
shoo fly, don't bother me
shoo fly, don't bother me

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!