Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130571 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2016, 01:47:38 pm »
So this made me happy this morning.

During the week and a half I was away for my dad's surgery, my normal eating patterns were seriously disrupted. I ate more than a few diner dinners, some days I had no lunch (one day "lunch" was a Milky Way  :laugh: ), I did little cooking at my dad's house, and I had two dinners of Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot pie (not a pie, but a chicken stew with some potatoes and large numbers of egg noodles).

But when I weighed myself this morning, I had gained only a pound or two of weight, an amount that will easily come off as I get back into my normal eating patterns. This made me happy because I feared that I had gained a lot more weight than that--although I had noticed that my trousers had not gotten tighter during that period.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2016, 02:08:31 pm »
But when I weighed myself this morning, I had gained only a pound or two of weight, an amount that will easily come off as I get back into my normal eating patterns. This made me happy because I feared that I had gained a lot more weight than that--although I had noticed that my trousers had not gotten tighter during that period.

Yay! The operative words here are "get back into my normal eating patterns."

I had to take my cat to the vet yesterday which resulted in long waits in a sterile examination room. I hit the vending machines twice and ate things I haven't eaten in decades! So I know a little of what you experienced.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
Yay! The operative words here are "get back into my normal eating patterns."

Absolutely! Supper last night--after I got back home to Philadelphia--was a grilled chicken breast with some left-over rice that I had in the refrigerator, and peas, with one slice of whole wheat bread and one serving of ginger snaps (three cookies) for dessert.

Tonight supper will be a grilled pork chop, but I haven't yet decided what I'm going to have with it. And probably another serving of ginger snaps. I'd like to get all those cookies used up before Lent, but I'm afraid to do that I'm going to have give some (many?) away. I laid in too large a supply for this winter, and Lent begins in about two and a half weeks.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2016, 04:19:35 pm »
I thought they sold fruit and vegetables at the farmers market, not shoo-fly pie and sticky buns? Perhaps I should quote to you from the article I was reading this morning about where most GMO foods are derived from corn, soy, or sugar beets. Anything with corn syrup, soy flour or milk, or sugar, is suspect. That includes meat, fish, chicken, etc., which are fed GMO-treated feed.

I don't have a quarrel with genetically modified foods per se. Hybridization of plants has yielded some vast improvements. But things have gotten out of control. Factory farmed plants are treated so they are immune to certain herbicides. That in itself is neither bad nor good, but then planes fly over the crops dousing them with herbicides to kill the weeds. So the plant grows up in a wash of chemicals.  :P

Hunh. I thought the point of genetically modifying plants was to make them immune to the herbs, not the cides. That is, to make them more resistant to things that they would otherwise use chemicals to kill.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2016, 05:43:28 pm »
Hunh. I thought the point of genetically modifying plants was to make them immune to the herbs, not the cides. That is, to make them more resistant to things that they would otherwise use chemicals to kill.

Me, too. Especially insects, fungi, etc., and also drought.  ???

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2016, 03:41:30 pm »

congrats!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:40 pm »
Me, too. Especially insects, fungi, etc., and also drought.  ???

Nope. The GMO plants are called "Roundup ready". That means you can spray and spray and spray them with Roundup (neonicticides) and they won't die.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 11:25:37 pm »
Jeff, I am also getting ready for Lent. I always give up alcohol drinks for Lent. I like to start early so I have a few days "banked" in case I need to have a glass of wine or something while I'm out on the town or at someone's house.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 09:30:35 am »
Yeah, Ash Wednesday is early this year, Feb. 10th.

That means I need to decoarte my cube for Mardi Gras next week.  lol

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:16 am »
I'm not quite back to my usual eating habits. It's kind of heard breaking the habit of eating like a normal person--that is, somebody who isn't constantly fretting about his weight.