Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2533416 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"G" is Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
« Reply #1450 on: November 12, 2007, 06:54:08 pm »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
« Reply #1451 on: November 12, 2007, 08:23:09 pm »
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:51:51 pm by Memento »

Offline Ellemeno

"I" is I Was a Teenage Werewolf
« Reply #1452 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:46 pm »
Starring Michael Landon in his first big hit.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"J" is Jailhouse Rock
« Reply #1453 on: November 12, 2007, 09:47:13 pm »
I don't usually post YouTube videos but this movie deserves one. Look at those legs. I can see why people were swooning over Elvis.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc5sDt4ppnE[/youtube]

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"K" is Kronos
« Reply #1454 on: November 12, 2007, 10:02:56 pm »
Slim pickings...

--Comment re: Jailhouse Rock---

Thanks for the great video!  Elvis was already a tub of lard when I came of age so it's nice to see those old clips of him in his prime.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"L" is Love in the Afternoon
« Reply #1455 on: November 12, 2007, 10:30:54 pm »

From IMDb:  Director Billy Wilder salutes his idol, Ernst Lubitsch, with this comedy about a middle-aged playboy fascinated by the daughter of a private detective who has been hired to entrap him with the wife of a client.   This film works. Wilder's genius pulls it off. How many among us know of numerous life-long loves where the age difference between the lovers would appear prohibitive but proves to be only a minor obstacle to a lasting relationship. In my experience life imitates art. In this work it is the very difference in their ages and the differing circumstances of their lives that attract Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn's characters. It is the differences that are extra-normal that make this story so believable. He is attracted to her utterly captivating refined insouciance and she to his masculine-straight forward worldly charm. He is the best of the fantasies she has constructed from her father's (Maurice Chevalier's) detective business files, and she is precisely the down home girl with her wits about her who knows his world and his past and loves him anyway
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"M" is Man Afraid
« Reply #1456 on: November 12, 2007, 10:35:57 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"N" is Naked in the Sun
« Reply #1457 on: November 12, 2007, 11:19:32 pm »

I loved this comment from someone on IMDb:

My father was co-producer of this movie when I was in grade school. I still have still photos of the shoot and a copy of the original script. It was made by Empire Studios, the first motion picture studio in Florida in the early 50s, long before Disney and Universal Studios.

I went on location many times and was on site for the Major Dade massacre and the scenes where the guards are found dead on the settler's porch. I also was at the studios in Winter Park when much post production took place.

This was the second of three movies my father worked with R. John Hughs on in the 50s. As a grade "B" movie it wasn't so bad and was in color, which wasn't usual at that time. I've seen the movie for sell at a video store in the past and wished I had bought it.

The lead actor, James Craig, starred on a 15 minute TV detective series at the time and was a "B" list actor. Of course, Barton MacLane starred in movies as a supporting actor with the big names of the 30s to the 50s (John Wayne, etc.). MacLane also starred later in the 60s as the general on I Dream of Jeanie TV show.

Many of the extras in the movies were students at Boone and Edgewater High Schools in Orlando. I graduated from Edgewater. My father said he always got calls from the school's deans complaining about skipping while the movie was being shot in Orlo Bronson's cow pasture in St. Cloud, Florida. Bronson was a former Fla. State senator.

Several of the other actors were local aspiring actors and Rollins College theatre students. It wasn't Hollywood but it sure was exciting to see the movie being made.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"O" is The One that Got Away
« Reply #1458 on: November 12, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »

=aside= Fran
Thanks for the tip about moviegoods.com. Often they're the only ones who have any posters at all.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"P" is The Pajama Game
« Reply #1459 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:17 am »