Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2605775 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"I" is It's a Great Life (1929)
« Reply #4870 on: August 29, 2008, 10:41:07 am »

Casey and Babe are sisters who work in a department store and each year the store puts on a show. As expected, things are going wrong with every act until Casey comes out to help Babe with her song. They are a hit, but in the final act, Casey again comes out and this time the president sees her act and fires both her and Babe on the spot. Benny is able to book Casey, Babe and Dean into Vaudeville and their act is popular. But before they have their shot at stardom, Dean and Babe leave Casey and the act.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"J" is The January Man (1989)
« Reply #4871 on: August 29, 2008, 11:25:51 am »
Kimberly Glasco and Rex Harrington played ballet dancers in this film.

From IMDb:  Nick and Frank Starkey were both policemen. A scandal forced Nick to leave the force, now a serial killer has driven the police to take him back. A web that includes Frank's wife, bribery, and corruption all are in the background as Nick tries to uncover the secret of where the killer will strike next, and finally must lay a trap without the police.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"K" is Kit Kruses Dans (2004)
« Reply #4872 on: August 29, 2008, 12:25:26 pm »
Synopsis: Kit Kruse is 77 years old, a gym teacher and former ballet dancer. Her teaching philosophy has always been that if ones body feels secure ones mental state will improve.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"L" is Light Fantastic (1964)
« Reply #4873 on: August 30, 2008, 11:35:29 am »
Plot:  In this romantic drama, a plain, lonely secretary wins three dance lessons. Her handsome instructor tells her that she is quite talented and cons her into signing a long-term contract. She soon finds herself in love with him, and an affair begins. The normally cold-hearted instructor is surprised when he finds himself genuinely returning her affections. Trouble ensues when she dances with another instructor who gives her exactly the same sales pitch.

Seems to be a very obscure film; not much info available and no photos.  IMDb has 12 votes for this one.

Offline Fran

"M" is The Men in Her Life (1941)
« Reply #4874 on: August 31, 2008, 09:05:41 am »

From IMDb:  I saw this movie when I was 14 years old and it must have left quite an impression on me, even though it most likely was one of the worst ballet films ever made.  I was too young and knew nothing about dance to be critical then.  This was long before "The Red Shoes" or "Turning Point" which give a far truer picture of the real world of ballet.  Besides, Loretta Young was certainly no ballet dancer, so I wonder how she managed to present that impression.

Happy Birthday, Paul!

When we finish this round, I've got a special round
planned in honor of your birthday!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"N" is Naked Tango (1991)
« Reply #4875 on: August 31, 2008, 09:38:23 am »

From IMDb:   This movie does not have any special or original plot, acting is just average. There's some nice camera work and colored-lights usage, but that would be it. But the thing is, that this movie captures all that tango is. The movie is raw, erotic, sometimes vulgar. It is the only movie (as far as I've seen) that captures the essence of tango so very good. The knife fights are choreographed with tango steps, and are made sensual and erotic just as it is described in original tango songs. Cholo is a perfect compadrito, hoodlum from Buenos Aires, pimp, killer. Dance choreographies are nothing special, so if you're into that, I would rather recommend Saura's "Tango" or Potter's "Tango Lesson". But I would recommend this movie to fans of tango because it truly captures the atmosphere of Buenos Aires suburbia, how it was, when tango was danced by it's makers, whores and killers. I would give it 8/10 for atmosphere, but 5/10 for the rest. In the end, it's worth a look.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"O" is Oliver! (1968)
« Reply #4876 on: August 31, 2008, 09:51:39 am »
Plot:  Musical adaptation about an orphan who runs away from an orphanage and hooks up with a group of boys trained to be pickpockets by an elderly mentor.

=aside= Fran
Thanks for the birthday wishes. 
Here's my favorite song from Oliver!  Seems like a good choice for a birthday. 

Who will buy
This wonderful morning?
Such a sky
You never did see!

Who will tie
It up with a ribbon
And put it in a box for me?

Who will buy
This wonderful feeling?
I'm so high
I swear I could fly.
Me, oh my!
I don't want to lose it
So what am I to do
To keep the sky so blue?
There must be someone who will buy...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3EhsdMUNr8[/youtube]

Here's the big dance number from the film (9:01).  I'm not sure Dickens would approve.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBby9s9ztns[/youtube]

Offline Fran

"P" is Pas de deux (1968)
« Reply #4877 on: August 31, 2008, 02:45:11 pm »
From Wikipedia:  "Pas de deux" is an award winning film by Scottish-Canadian director Norman McLaren, produced by the NFB.
The film sees two performers dancing the Pas de deux, filmed on high contrast film stock with very stark side lighting. This is augmented by step-and-repeat printing on an optical printer. This gives the film an almost stroboscopic appearance. Biographer Maynard Collins points out that the "technical virtuosity of this film, its ethereal beauty, its lovely Roumanian pan-type music, made it a joy to watch, even if -- perhaps, especially if -- you do not care for ballet."

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAZFvQ1Uv9k[/youtube]
Part 1 - 9:03

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"Q" is Queen of the Nightclubs (1929)
« Reply #4878 on: August 31, 2008, 11:47:54 pm »

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"R" is Ratataplan (1979)
« Reply #4879 on: September 01, 2008, 11:56:30 am »
Plot:  Misadventures of Colombo (Maurizio Nichetti), an engineer in Milano. He is the only winner of an admission test for a job, and just for this reason he isn't hired. So he become a barman, and he discover a special formula that turn simple water into the "Immortality drink". He is robbed of the magic water copyright. So he try to set up a theatrical company, but the first show is a fiasco. Since find a normal job seems a mission impossible, he tries to set the sentimental side of his life. He targets the most beautiful girl of his building, and for her he build a robot able to dance like Tony Manero (John Travolta). The robot get drunk (!). It is another fiasco. So he target an ugly girl (Angela Finocchiaro) and finally with her succeeds to live his surreal world for ever.