Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2571866 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Love and Other Disasters (2006)
« Reply #5520 on: November 30, 2008, 03:27:34 pm »

From IMDB: Jacks, who spent her childhood in America, now lives and works in London, at British Vogue, and shares an apartment with her gay friend Peter Simon, a screenwriter. Afraid to be disappointed by a serious relationship, Jacks prefers to spend her free time with her friends and sleep with her ex-boyfriend, James, whom she doesn't love. Peter, who has never been in a relationship, spends too much time in his dreams and as a result cannot fall in love with a real person. As the film develops, they come to realize their mistakes and eventually reach their happy endings.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"M" is Mary Reilly (1996)
« Reply #5521 on: December 01, 2008, 01:59:06 pm »

Plot:  Mary Reilly is a lonely servant in the home of Dr Henry Jekyll, devoted to her position and her master. Slowly, a gradual friendship between Mary and the doctor begins as well as a growing attraction. However, Mary's quiet presence is thrown upside down when she meets Henry Jekyll's assistant, the handsome but enigmatic Edward Hyde. Although initially repelled, Mary soon finds herself drawn towards his passionate nature. But Edward Hyde is not all he seems...

Filmed in part in London.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"N" is Night and the City (1950)
« Reply #5522 on: December 01, 2008, 02:41:58 pm »

From IMDb:  Harry Fabian (Richard Widmark) is a London hustler with ambitious plans that never work out. One day, when he encounters the most famous Greco-Roman wrestler in the world, Gregorius, at a London wrestling arena run by his son Kristo, he dreams up a scheme that he thinks will finally be his ticket to financial independence. As Fabian attempts to con everyone around him to get his scheme to work, he of course only ends up conning himself. This is an interesting tale of blind ambition, self-deception, broken dreams, and how a man who always thinks he's ahead of the game ends up tripping himself very badly.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"O" is Otley (1968)
« Reply #5523 on: December 01, 2008, 06:26:19 pm »

From IMDB: Martin Waddell's OTLEY is about a wannabe second-hand/antiquities dealer (on the dole) who already has a line of clients and who is not particular about how he acquires what he sells. He gets in trouble for stealing an object d'art that is actually a recording device employed for espionage (for one side or the other -- I can't recall which, but it doesn't matter). He is the most reluctant of spies, though he dips and dives, toward whichever side will help him get out of trouble, over four charming, short comic novels.

Tom Courtenay tries to breathe life to this character, and he is surrounded by some of Britains most individual supporting players (including Freddie Jones, Ronald Lacey and Leonard Rossiter) and the beautiful Romy Schneider. Perhaps they wanted to make a film that was both a spy movie (everyone was cranking them out) as well as a "swinging London" movie (a genre worn into the ground) but it comes off as more diverting than funny; and like most movies of the period that tried to be "modern" it looks quaintly dated. But the stars are always worth watching.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"P" is The Pumpkin Eater (1964)
« Reply #5524 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:30 pm »

IMDb user:  This is my absolute favorite film of all time, and Anne Bancroft's performance is her best. Made in 1964 and set in London, this film tells the story of a woman who is in the middle of her third marriage, to a screenwriter, played by Peter Finch. Her character, Jo Armitage, is a woman who truly seems to find her self-worth and happiness only when she is pregnant and raising children. Once her children become even only slightly older, she seems to lose her sense of purpose, and allows herself to become quite isolated in the world. Her current husband, the screenwriter, doesn't make matters any better for her either.

This is definitely Anne Bancroft's film all the way, and she is breathtakingly beautiful in it as well. Her portrayal of Jo Armitage paints a very lonely, depressed, lost, and in many ways pathetic character...but it is also strangely my favorite performance of Bancroft. Look also for wonderful supporting performances by James Mason and Maggie Smith. This film weaves a disturbing yet very realistic portrait of a bad marriage (some might just say "marriage"), and it should be studied for its acting and its writing. In addition, Georges Delerue's musical score is superb, and I am always searching for the film's soundtrack, but have had no luck. Thanks to beautiful art direction by Edward Marshall, their home interior is also gorgeous...'60's chic. I've seen this film at least 60 times, and never tire of it. It's a quiet little masterpiece.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Wildcard "Q" is Notting Hill (1999)
« Reply #5525 on: December 01, 2008, 07:36:59 pm »
From Wiki:

Notting Hill is a 1999 romantic comedy film set in Notting Hill, London, released on 21 May 1999. The screenplay was written by Richard Curtis who had previously written Four Weddings and a Funeral. It was produced by Duncan Kenworthy, and directed by Roger Michell. The film stars Hugh Grant, Julia Roberts, Rhys Ifans, Emma Chambers, Tim McInnerny, Gina McKee and Hugh Bonneville.

Bookshop owner William Thacker's world begins to turn upside down after the world's most famous actress, Anna Scott, visits his store. A few minutes later, Will knocks into Anna on the street and spills his orange juice over her. He offers her his place to change, and hence starts a tense courtship between an everyday man and the woman every man dreams of.

The film was well received by critics, and charted well at the box office, becoming the highest grossing British film yet released. The film won a BAFTA, and was nominated in two other categories. Notting Hill won several other awards, including a British Comedy Award and a Brit Award for the soundtrack.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Fran

"R" is The Reluctant Debutante (1958)
« Reply #5526 on: December 01, 2008, 08:16:04 pm »

From IMDb:  Jimmy and Sheila Broadbent (Rex Harrison and Kay Kendall) welcome to London Jimmy's 17-year-old daughter, Jane (Sandra Dee). Jane is from Jimmy's first marriage to an American and has come to visit her father and the step-mother she has never met. While visiting Sheila has the idea of making Jane a debutante, an idea Jane resists. Difficulties range from Jane's apathy to being placed on the marriage block, the determined efforts of Sheila's cousin, Mabel Claremont, (Angela Lansbury) to win wealthy David Fenner (Peter Myers) for her debutante daughter Clarissa (Diane Clare), and Jane's attraction to David Parkson (John Saxon), an American drummer who plays in the orchestra at the coming-out balls.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"S" is School for Scoundrels (1960)
« Reply #5527 on: December 01, 2008, 08:29:58 pm »

IMDb user:  This fabulous film is available on DVD at last, twinned with another Alaister Sim classic, THE GREEN MAN. But, the star of this film is the dapper TERRY-THOMAS. Every scene he is in is superb. From the suave cad in the first half of the film to the flustered toff in the second, this is one of his finest performances and stands up to repeat viewings due to his expressive faces and masterful comic timing.

I hear there is going to be a Hollywood remake of this film, which will be a huge mistake as there has been no one like T-T since. I recommend anyone who is a fan of British comedy to see this classic or you will forever be crying 'hard cheese'!

The incomparable Terry-Thomas.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"T" is Touch of Pink (2004)
« Reply #5528 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »

Plot: A gay Canadian living in London has his perfectly crafted life upset when his devoutly Muslim mother comes to visit.

==COMMENT==
I had selected TOTAL ECLIPSE because it came up when I did a search with the keyword LONDON but I don't think that city figures prominently in the film so I'm saving it for a future 'Paris' round

Offline Fran

"U" is The Unholy Night (1929)
« Reply #5529 on: December 01, 2008, 10:26:23 pm »

From IMDb:  On a dark foggy London night, someone tries to strangle Lord Montague, but he escapes, only to discover the four other men who did get killed were old regimental comrades in Gallipoli. When Scotland Yard gets Monty to gather the other nine surviving officers at his home, one of them is murdered, and no one else has entered the house. Now, they must determine who the murderer is.