Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570632 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"E" is External Affairs (1999)
« Reply #5730 on: January 04, 2009, 06:45:59 pm »
Victor Garber, who played Thomas Andrews in Titanic, also played Harry Raymond in this film.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"F" is Female Perversions (1996)
« Reply #5731 on: January 04, 2009, 06:55:48 pm »
Frances Fisher played Ruth Dewitt Bukater in Titanic and Annunciata in this film.

Plot: Dresses, lipsticks, sex - the "perversions" (and neuroses) of Eve, a young, very successful lawyer. Her days are a tightrope act between extreme eloquence and frosty toughness on the one side, and scaring vulnerability on the other. The climax of her career shall be the possibly forthcoming appointment as a judge, but this step seems to be interrupted by her kleptomanian sister Mad who is arrested after one of her raids. Eve travels to Mad's town to stand by her in the jail. Their struggle about Mad's illness evokes suppressed conflicts. Eve stays at her sister's flat where she meets a girl that fights with its budding femininity.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"G" is Ghosts of the Abyss (2003)
« Reply #5732 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:31 pm »
James Cameron was the director of "Titanic" as well as "Ghosts of the Abyss."

From IMDb:  Academy Award-winning director and master storyteller James Cameron journeys back to the site of his greatest inspiration -- the legendary wreck of the Titanic. With a team of the world's foremost historic and marine experts and friend Bill Paxton, he embarks on an unscripted adventure back to the final grave where nearly 1,500 souls lost their lives almost a century ago. Using state-of-the-art technology developed expressly for this expedition, Cameron and his crew are able to explore virtually all of the wreckage, inside and out, as never before. With the most advanced 3D photography, moviegoers will experience the ship as if they are part of the crew, right inside the dive subs. In this unprecedented motion-picture event made especially for IMAX 3D theatres and specially outfitted 35mm 3D theaters across the country, Cameron and his team bring audiences to sights not seen since the sinking 90 years ago and explore why the landmark vessel -- more than any shipwreck -- continues to intrigue and fascinate the public.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"H" is Haven (2004)
« Reply #5733 on: January 04, 2009, 07:03:33 pm »
Bill Paxton, Brock Lovett in Titanic, co-starred in this film.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"I" is I Woke Up Early the Day I Died (1998)
« Reply #5734 on: January 04, 2009, 11:15:03 pm »
Billy Zane who played Cal in Titantic plays "The Thief" in this film.

From IMDB: This is a script that Ed Wood worked over 10 years on trying to get made. Aris Iliopulos finally got the chutzpah to film a script that Wood saved from his burning home at the expense of other, more transitory valuables.

This is a dialogue-free movie, that some may foolishly describe as silent. In fact, it is a quite noisy film, without the inane chatter of most flicks. In the hands of these filmmakers, the music and sound effects provide a rich audio experience that works better than almost any grist from the Hollywood script mill, particularly that stupid boat movie Billy Zane last was in ('Watch out!', 'Oh no!' - J. Cameron.... ick...) I'll take Zane's wonderfully communicative monosyllabic grunts in this film over empty dialogue any day.

Billy Zane heads a team of players who obviously really wanted to be in this film. Ricci is radiant as always, and the gods are shining when you can put Sandra Bernhard, Rick(y) Schroeder, Eartha Kitt and Andrew McCarthy's name on the same poster.

The design is perfect, the pyramid set exquisite, and Ron Perlman's beastly performance is simply wonderful. Overall, this is a chaotic, visceral masterpiece lovingly crafted by fans of Ed Wood Jr., auteur and cinenephile. A must see for anyone who really loves movies the way that the first rate Iliopulos and his cast obviously do. A film to make you wish you had made it yourself.

Offline Fran

"J" is Jolene (2008)
« Reply #5735 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:30 pm »
Frances Fisher, who played Ruth Dewitt Bukater in "Titanic," plays Cindy in "Jolene."

From IMDb: "Jolene" is the story of a young girl who, having grown up in a succession of uncaring and abusive foster homes, marries a young man at 15 in the hope of escaping, and finding a home where she might find some love and happiness. Unfortunately, a bad decision on her part results in catastrophe and ultimately lands her in an institution for young women. After a year of hell, climaxing with an affair with a prison guard, she manages to escape and is finally on the road to freedom and finding herself. In her quest, she passes through a series of relationships, adventures, and misfortunes which take her across America, in search of the life she dreams of. Based on the controversial short story by E.L. Doctorow.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:44:21 pm by Fran »

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"K" is A Kid in King Arthur's Court (1995)
« Reply #5736 on: January 05, 2009, 04:16:21 pm »
Kate Winslet played Rose DeWitt Bukater in TITANIC and Princess Sarah in this film.

Plot: Young Calvin Fuller is pulled into King Arthur's court by Merlin. His Mission: To save Camelot. To do this he must overcome the villian known as Lord Belascoe, train to become a knight, and rescue the Princess Catherine who has fallen in love with him. Ultimately, He must help Arthur regain his confidence before he can go home.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"L" is Ladies in Lavender (2004)
« Reply #5737 on: January 05, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »
David Warner played Spicer Lovejoy in Titanic and Dr. Francis Mead in this film.

From IMDB: .. very beautiful, very funny but immensely sad. There is not one chord that sounds falsely, musically and otherwise. Joshua Bell plays magnificently. The supporting cast is uniformly good and colourful. Natascha McElhone has beautifully grown into type. Maggie Smith brings forward her warmth and humour much more than other parts gave her the chance to do. Daniel Bruhl is suitably rough, suitably superficial and suitably nice, which might be, I imagine, much more difficult for an actor than being unsuitably polished, unsuitably deep and unsuitably cute. As for Judi Dench, she comes across as delightfully professional but at the same time she gives one of the most moving performances I have ever seen on screen. I would never have the courage to make such a movie (i.e. to touch such an impossibly delicate story), even watching it was painful and made me break down, despite the many laughs I had along the way. However, to me it felt so alive and meaningful that it made many other wonderful movies seem, by comparison, mere concoctions. Flawless (in the art-house sense), admirable accomplishment.

Offline Fran

"M" is Mass Appeal (1984)
« Reply #5738 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:56 pm »
Gloria Stuart, who played Old Rose in "Titanic," played Mrs. Curry in this film.

From IMDb:  You know, there probably isn't a movie Jack Lemmon has ever made that isn't worth watching... if only for his being in it. For instance, "Mass Appeal" isn't much of a movie. It was based on a minor play and, outside of two showy roles for a couple of capable performers, it doesn't seem to have much point. Luckily, Jack Lemmon and Zeljko Yvanek are up to the task, and the movie is a pleasant enough diversion... even if it does strain credulity at times. Lemmon is a well-established, beloved Catholic priest who is given the task of honing the skills of an opinionated, headstrong, young man fresh from seminary school. Lemmon has one month to shape him up or ship him out.

A minor scandal erupts when young Ivanek defends a pair of ex-homosexuals that he went to school with who have been expelled... then his own sexuality is brought into question. Good dialogue but the movie plays itself out predictably. Not a classic but definitely worth checking out.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"N" is Next of Kin (1989)
« Reply #5739 on: January 05, 2009, 07:34:19 pm »
Bill Paxton, who played Brock in Titanic, starrred in this film.